Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Civic Ferio 99

Spray painting EK side skirts

Hay guys,

I see alot of you's have Side Skirts that are colour coded, how you guys do it? Cause I dropped off my side skirts and front lip to get colour coded and later today they call me and said that the side skirts can't be painted as it has silicon on it and the paint would just fall off. I think he said its actually inpregnated so sanding it off won't help.

Just would like to know how you guys do it? Like you use alot of primer or you guys did a DIY and used spray can or something?

Thanks

Member Array
    Car:
    CityRail
    ???

If you're skirts are fcked, theyre fcked...
    Unless the workshop is shiet, then i dare say that your side skirts are beyond repair... hence get new sideskirts.

Depends on the type of quality you want bro, you can opt for the el cheapo spray can... however if it were me, i'd get it done properly.
    Tom says: "Now remember kids, offsets are like women... they are best in their teens."

Member Array
    Car:
    EM1
    well... i washed mine with dashwashing liquid, gave them a sand with wet & dry then washed them down with a wet rag. sprayed them with a few coats from cans of touch up paint from super cheap.
    so far no evidence of any problems/defects - I was poor-ass at the time & didn't even use primer

if it had silicon on it you'd see immediately that the paint isn't sticking.

qball - unless i missed something i dont see where it says his skirts are f*d
    Last edited by kraiye; 25-03-2008 at 09:40 AM.
    FOR SALE: Injector seal kits || Dayco B16A timing belt

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Civic Ferio 99
    oh no their not broken or anything.

Its just the original side skirts off my EK Sedan, Just wanted to get them spray painted to the same colour as the car.

Just see alot of civics around here thats done that and i'm wondering how they did it.

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Civic Ferio 99
    Quote Originally Posted by kraiye View Post
    well... i washed mine with dashwashing liquid, gave them a sand with wet & dry then washed them down with a wet rag. sprayed them with a few coats from cans of touch up paint from super cheap.
    so far no evidence of any problems/defects.
    did u use primer and clear coat?

so far no evidence of any problems/defects - I was poor-ass at the time & didn't even use primer
    if it had silicon on it you'd see immediately that the paint isn't sticking.

That answers your primer question.

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Civic Ferio 99
    hehe sorry, his post was edited.

i guess i'll have to give the spray cans ago. hope the spraypainting dude is wrong.

Member Array
    Car:
    EM1
    definately clear coat them when you're done. when i get a chance i'll freshen mine up and clear coat so they can be polished/waxed properly
    if you're worried just get one can and test it on part of the skirt you can't really see (underneath or on the ends etc.)
    g/l
    FOR SALE: Injector seal kits || Dayco B16A timing belt

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Civic Ferio 99
    definately clear coat them when you're done. when i get a chance i'll freshen mine up and clear coat so they can be polished/waxed properly
    if you're worried just get one can and test it on part of the skirt you can't really see (underneath or on the ends etc.)
    g/l
    cool thanks
    i will do it right now

off to the shop for now...

Member Array
    Car:
    CityRail
    Quote Originally Posted by Mugen Civic View Post
    Hay guys,

I see alot of you's have Side Skirts that are colour coded, how you guys do it? Cause I dropped off my side skirts and front lip to get colour coded and later today they call me and said that the side skirts can't be painted as it has silicon on it and the paint would just fall off. I think he said its actually inpregnated so sanding it off won't help.

Just would like to know how you guys do it? Like you use alot of primer or you guys did a DIY and used spray can or something?

Thanks
    A workshop saying that they cannot paint something means 2 things,

a) theyre shit
    b) the skirts fcked
    Tom says: "Now remember kids, offsets are like women... they are best in their teens."

Member Array
    Car:
    EM1
    lol me thinks the panel shop is shit
    "since we're both asian.. I'll look after you and chuck in King Springs with the wheels and tyres for $1050"

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Civic Ferio 99
    nah i don't think so

becuase anyone can just spray paint onto somethin.
    if my spray painter said he see's that theres silicon in the material then he can't really garrentee that the paint will stick. It maybe stick for acouple months or over a year but it wouldn't really justify his profesionalism if it peels off.

Sorry for the many spelling mistakes, about to go pick up my skirts.

His doing my front mugen lip thou, which is the harder one. I don't mind giving the sides skirts ago myself.
    I'l try write a DIY if it turns out good

thanks guys