Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newcomer Array
    Car:
    05 CL9 Accord Euro 5AT

[DIY] Glass cleaning DIY w/ no streaks

Disclaimer: The following is provided as a GUIDE ONLY, and neither myself nor Ozhonda take any responsibility for the outcomes of someone else doing the following. You follow these steps at your own risk!

.My first DIY article.. hope you find this handy
    .Special thanks to EKVTIR-T for showing me the steps .

What you need

1.Glass Cleaner (spray on, any)
    2.two clean cloths (one for wiping on and one for wiping it off and different colours preferably)

Estimated time

. Few minutes (depends)

Cleaning the glass, when the glass is dirty - vision is not as good especially on a sunny day and you find the sun glaring in the rear mirror or at night time when you can't determine the distance of traffic (due to it being dirty). The easiest to clean would be the passenger and driver windows, the more challenging would be the front and rear windscreen.

This article focuses on the front and rear windscreen. The front windscreen is easier than the rear one(inside)

Front windscreen

1. To start off, have a good glass spray cleaner (in my case - Meguiars 'no smear" glass cleaner ) . Set it to desired spraying mode, and spray small amounts(or large amounts if really dirty) on the areas of the windscreen that is dirty or contain mist like streaks...

2. Use the first clean cloth to wipe it down - it will leave these wet marks: that's normal...

3. Then use the second clean cloth to wipe off the trail and use the "wax on wax off"(joke) technique for better results.

Rear Windscreen

NOTE: If your car is a 2 door or a hatch then it is gonna be easy for you guys, but if your car is a 4 door sedan ( like mine) , be sure to remove the back seat headrests so you can access the whole windscreen.

The above steps can be applied, make sure to get every nook and cranny of the rear windscreen with the spray and the two cloths.. Plus it would get a little bit uncomfortable cleaning the rear windscreen (as opposed to the front windscreen)

Result

.The front and rear windscreens shouldn't have any streaks of whatsoever.

.Try this little test... Look in your rear mirror when car is under a bright sun, or at night when a car ( like when headlights are following you) to see if any streaks are present... the same applies for the front windscreen.

. Don't be afraid to use as much spray from the glass cleaner as much as possible - it's quite cheap.

I'll post the photos in the next post entry.

Cheers
    Last edited by IVTECS4; 25-03-2008 at 11:05 PM.

Does it matter what colour cloth you use? I havent used glass cleaner b4
    Quote Originally Posted by duped View Post
    what's a mugen?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikki View Post
    ill wash urs u wash mine?

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    05 CL9 Accord Euro 5AT
    Well personally , the reason I say different colour cloths is determine which one is for example : green would be the one used to apply the liquid on , while the red one would be used to wipe off the liquid and it should be squeeky clean! (coz the green one would leave the streak mark)... and so you don't mix up which one is which .

2 morrow I'm gonna do the steps myself and post the photos so it will be CLEAR
    Last edited by IVTECS4; 25-03-2008 at 11:11 PM.

Newcomer Array
    which brand of glass cleaner do you recommend??

Member Array
    Car:
    CL9
    my windows seem to have permanent water marks?

would this get rid of it? or can any1 suggest anything?

Member Array
    Car:
    Rachel & Renee
    windex ;] and use a scrunched up newspaper if u keep getting marks.
    Coup De Grace / Rachel

Built by Backyard Performance
    JDMyard / Autobarn Bankstown / Accurate Brake and Clutch Lidcombe / Performance Exhaust Northmead

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    05 CL9 Accord Euro 5AT
    which brand of glass cleaner do you recommend??
    Um... that's a tough one. I'm using meguiars atm ... other brands like mothers etc could also work as well and pretty cheap at joints like autobarn. There is a glass cleaner recommended by Auto Salon magazine- I can't remember the name... it is a industrial type one starts with w... sprays as a light foam and is claimed to be truly streak free... I'll update the post when I find the name..

hmmmm... why cant we use household windex??
    what's a mugen?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikki View Post
    ill wash urs u wash mine?

Member Array
    Car:
    GE8
    windex contains ammonia which not so friendly for tint.
    I don't know if it's safe for outside surface.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    05 CL9 Accord Euro 5AT
    ok , here are the photos - taken today... PLEASE NOTE: the photos are crap quality... took em as the rain started falling... 2 day.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00158.jpg 
Views:	244 
Size:	82.1 KB 
ID:	8404   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00153.jpg 
Views:	278 
Size:	95.4 KB 
ID:	8405   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00154.jpg 
Views:	244 
Size:	85.1 KB 
ID:	8406   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00155.jpg 
Views:	251 
Size:	155.1 KB 
ID:	8407   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00159.jpg 
Views:	247 
Size:	37.3 KB 
ID:	8408  

Last edited by IVTECS4; 26-03-2008 at 02:58 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EG4 B16A
    Quote Originally Posted by |nick| View Post
    my windows seem to have permanent water marks?

would this get rid of it? or can any1 suggest anything?
    claybar...

if you got one, use it on the glass...
    Got an old Videogame console, handheld, games and accessories. PM me! I want them

Member Array
    Car:
    CL9
    for the outside windows, i suggest to use you old local black and white newspaper and any window cleaner spray can be the cheap ones also.

spray onto the window and wipe off with the newspaper until the window cleaner dries out (dont be concern to do this as the newspaper should be moist by the windows cleaner), it will leave a streak free finish and save you the hassle of washing the cloths as you jsut throw away the newpaper.

i wouldnt suggest this on the inside windows if you have tints just incase it scratches the tints if you dont have tints then you can do the same for the inside.