Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

CRV 2003-2004 Air Conditioner Compressor Problems?

Hi Guys,
    Just wondering if there is anyone else here that's had trouble with their Honda CRV Air conditioning? (I've got a Manual car)
    Around 1 week ago I was driving home with the AC on when I noticed that the revs would get down to almost zero when i'd come to a stop.
    I turned the AC off and found that the problem went away.

The next day I tried out again and found that the car was working fine, so I just put it down to the weather being really hot and overworking the AC. 15 minutes into my ride I hear this crackling and popping noise and then find that the AC has stopped outputting cold air.

I did some research online and found that there were a lot of CRV's built around the same time with the same problem.

So yeah, just wondering if you guys have had the same issue i've had.

Member Array
    Car:
    CL9
    Very common unfortunately, your compressor has poo'd itself.

You'll need a new compressor, receiver drier, and you may need a clutch and stator for the compressor. Very expensive!

If you use genuine parts, you'll be up for about 1K, plus gas.

Quote Originally Posted by ms700 View Post
    Very common unfortunately, your compressor has poo'd itself.

You'll need a new compressor, receiver drier, and you may need a clutch and stator for the compressor. Very expensive!

If you use genuine parts, you'll be up for about 1K, plus gas.
    Hi Ms700,
    Do you have links to this problem? Any Australian links? I'm trying to build a case for Honda to show them that it isn't a one off. Hopefully they can get it fixed under their 'goodwill' policy.

already got my replace!

How many K's were you on when you had to get yours replaced Datuk?

about 91000km

Was your car out of warranty? Sorry for the questions. Anyone else here had the same experience? Or are there any AC mechanics that can back me up?

Does anyone know if this problem applies to 02 models as well?

Maybe if enough CRV owners with these sort of problems post here we can use this post as some evidence for Honda Australia.

Yeah the 02 has that problem!

i got the same a/c problem with my 03 Crv my04 model. get in to the local repair shop got quote for around 1k for repair (genuine parts) or $600 for a second hand compressor. will call honda tmr to see what they say. has any one received a free repair from honda ?
    Last edited by linsey; 02-12-2009 at 10:30 PM.

I wasn't able to get it replaced for free, but Honda were willing to pay 25% of the cost.

In the end I ended up going to Frozen Air in Keysborough.