Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    94 Civic EG5 with JDM B16

JDM B16A swap TROUBLE

S.O.S.

just picked up car.. dont ask about the workshop.. is running in Limp Mode thus no vtec and EXTREMELY rich fuel mixture - used 20L in 40Kms !!

Throttle response is Shocking, with massive hessitation and most of the time stuttering and almost stalling when taking off form a start.

Obviously running in Limp Mode and with hte fuel mix so rich, the plugs are likely to be fouled by now so I already know that OK..

is throwing MAP Sensor code, Electronic Load Sensor Code, and Knock Sensor Code.

I know I havnt wired the Knock Sensor so that's OK, but I cannot locate the MAP sensor as it is different to Aussie EK4 and EJ VtiR Coupe's that have it right on top of the Throttle Body.. I cant find it and I cant see any unused plugs dangling down anywhere, however the wprkshop failed to connect the TPS when I picked up the car..

WHERE is the MAP sensor on this JDM B16A from 95+ Del-Sol SiR II ??

FYI my car is 94 Civic VTi SOHC VTEC D16Y1 (OBD1), using my original Firewall-side Harness and using the B16A Engine-side Harness.....

any other help with wiring advice etc GREATLY appreciated as thanks to the workshop My budget has been blown out of the water...

Last edited by VTEChnique; 05-09-2004 at 02:29 AM.

vtechnique, firstly go to the kick panel that houses the ecu and see if all plugs are plugged in, if just one plug is loose at the back the ecu will go into limp mode.

its hard to know from thsi side as uve described it, ur mixing and matchine the harness, so that means that the wires have to have been joined somewhere. im not sure where ur map sensor is if its not above or directly next to ur tb man, they hvae to be there... that or they didnt give u one!

ROKAGESAMA Array
    Car:
    2009 Lexus ISF
    SIR-ll i remeber it being on top of the intake manifold..
    mate...my car ran stupid..
    when my dizzy ****ed up too..
    so ..
    check either ECU for error codes..
    or the dizzy..
    but in your case

i dont think the dizzy ..
    keep us informed
    Team Bacchus Racing Lexus ISF
    Bacchus Energy drink
    Drive your Energy

Green block gangster Array
    Car:
    twin GX160's
    Please tell me what ecu you are running, what chip.

also
    does your block have a knock sensor, this is relative to my above question.
    does your car have a map sensor at all? If it not on the throttle body it should be on the firewall. towards the LHS of the firewall near the battery.

ELD wont go away unless you install the JDM fues box. or I can modify your ecu to stop it from tripping limp mode.
    you 1st need to solve your MAP sensor issue as its most important to the car's running correctly.

Member Array
    Car:
    '94 Civic VTi
    if its not on the TB, then its gotta be grabbing a vacume source from the manifold somewhere. check all the connections..

ps. why dont u just take it back to the workshop, hell if i ran any kind of acceptable buisness, i wouldnt let a client go home with such a *ucked up ride..

edit: ecu-man, he was running a OBD1 p28 (from the d16y1 he swapped out) ECU afaik from his other thread. was gonna swap over to a b16 ecu soon.
    [TNT] Team No Traction - Cos No Traction Is Underrated

Two turbos, is better then one.

Green block gangster Array
    Car:
    twin GX160's
    cool thanks weq, he doenst need to change ecu's just chip his P28 for the B16a.
    your right though, the place that got it all up and running should have sorted this unless it was mentiontioned when they took the job on.

Member Array
    Car:
    baron
    The map sensor on SiR's/SiRIIs are mounted on the firewall and have a vacume hose which runs from almost identicly the same possition as the Aussy location. The hose comes from just above the Throttle body and runs out the the MAP sensor... not to mention if your on a rewired loom the map sensor needs be wired up to the loom seperatly as the SiR's and SiRII's looms went strait from the ECU to the map sensor and bypassed the Engine bay Loom seperation plugs.

Member Array
    Car:
    '94 Civic VTi
    thats some good info! work sikcvc
    [TNT] Team No Traction - Cos No Traction Is Underrated

Two turbos, is better then one.

Member Array
    Car:
    OK sorry for the confusion, I am running the JDM P30 ECU (stock)..

FYI the P28 (stock) threw MAP Sensor code.
    As mentioned above, the P30 throws Electronic Load Sensor, MAP, and Knock sensor.

My knock sensor is damaged, so I need to hunt down a new one..

Will have a look tonight for the MAP sensor on the firewall, but I doubt it is there unless that is the stock location for the D16Y1's MAP sensor..

I will try and get a digital camera so I can take a photo to post of engine bay..

My dizzy should be OK.. cam-timing HAS been done, but not ignition timing..

FYI The workshop was only asked to physically swap the two motors over and sort the mounts and linikage out etc.. as I couldnt supply ALL the parts in working order, The workshop had to do a fair bit of modification of my linkage and mounts etc.. but I feel this should have been included in the cost.. the final price was 220% of the origianl quote - which was the highest I recieved.. I wanted to pay for a bit of service, but am doubtful as to the level of service I have recieved... but THAT is another thread hahaa

Quote Originally Posted by ECU-MAN
    ELD wont go away unless you install the JDM fues box. or I can modify your ecu to stop it from tripping limp mode.
    just to confirm - i was not aware that an ELD would trigger limp mode, only a MIL?

VTECnique - make sure they have not connected the throttle position sensor and MAP sensor plgs to the wrong sensors - they are the exact same plugs...

appart from that - just make sure the MAP is plugged in and if it checks out visually, just 'borrow' someone elses MAP sensor and test to see if a known good one makes the problem go away...

make sure you reset the ECU often to ensure you are not chasing an old code...
    B20VTEC - since 2002

Member Array
    Car:
    del sol
    VTEChnique, welcome to the club.
    It seems you are having a very similar problem to what i had on my b16a swap..
    My linkage was too modified and my mounts were broken (well 1 was -_-)

I was going through way too much fuel too.. almost 40litres for 150/200kms..
    The throttle responce you were experiencing i did too.. it is shocking..
    I got my cams tested and the timing wasn't retarted ..

For me (which i asume for you as well from the sound of things) is the ECU. It doesn't seem to be wired properly. That was the major factor with mine.
    I also hadda map sensor missing, Razztech here in melb picked me up a nice denso one that just sits at the top of my throttle body plugged into the vacume hose. Was only about 70$ or somethin from memory.

In addition to that my trottle body was filled up with carbon was black as vegemite!
    A little petrol and some degreaser in the throttle cleaned it up pretty nicely.
    The injectors may be a bit dirty and could use some cleaning ... would not be the main problem but could be an additional problem further hindering ur thortle responce. I recomment 2 or 3 bottles of injector fluid and mayb even throw in an octain booster for good measure.

And i agree with tinkerbell the plugs for MAP and Throttle position are exactly the same, they may have been switched around...
    Rewire (or get someone to rewire ur ECU properly - because ur having almost exactly the same problems i did and that was the major problem i faced) and give it a reset.

Also check ur o2 sensor is plugged in properly and/or not faulty
    Quote Originally Posted by z3lda
    ey, was drivin a honda city before...
    felt like the biggest poofter in the world..LOL

Member Array
    Car:
    Quote Originally Posted by tinkerbell
    just to confirm - i was not aware that an ELD would trigger limp mode, only a MIL?

VTECnique - make sure they have not connected the throttle position sensor and MAP sensor plgs to the wrong sensors - they are the exact same plugs...

appart from that - just make sure the MAP is plugged in and if it checks out visually, just 'borrow' someone elses MAP sensor and test to see if a known good one makes the problem go away...

make sure you reset the ECU often to ensure you are not chasing an old code...
    Yeah I have been re-setting the ECU every time I change something - same codes still keeps popping up.. the TPS code has gone away since I plugged in the TPS.. so that would suggest that it IS the right plug used ?

Once I've found the MAP sensor, I can check if it is plugged in at all.. then if it is I will replace it with a borrowed one as you suggested to test that it IS actually the MAP sensor - not another problem..

what is MIL ?