Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    94 Civic EG5 with JDM B16
    Thanks Tink.. Will see how I go tomorow (Saturday)..

what kind of wire do you need to use ? and yeah will try to match - or at least use 3 different coloured wires.. and I am off to Honbits to get 3 x ECU pins that I can use.. no hang on I think I only need to locate the MAP sensor wires from the pin-out diagram, then splice to them hey.. hmmm but i'll have to extend the wire through the firewall.. hmm that shouldnt be too hard..

I hope the Electric Load detector code goes away..

hey someone I was talking to said that VTEC will work even in LIMP mode ? is this correct ? I am 99% sure it aint working, but not throwing any VTEC solenoid / oil pressure MIF codes..

Also, there is a small oil leak - it appears to come from under where the VTEC solenoid is.. one theory I have is that cause VTEC is not activating, yet I have taken it above 6,000RPM a few times, that the oil pressure at the solenoid end may be high because usually it is relieved by the activation of the pin that connects the cam-runners together to roll on the Hi-Cam lobes.. and cause it is not moving the pin, it is causeing excess oil pressure in that 'area' thus creating a small leak.. ??

I was told not to worry about it to omuch cause apparently it's common on B-series to get a leak around there.. ?? but I dont like leaks !!

Quote Originally Posted by VTEChnique

what kind of wire do you need to use ? and yeah will try to match - or at least use 3 different coloured wires.. and I am off to Honbits to get 3 x ECU pins that I can use.. no hang on I think I only need to locate the MAP sensor wires from the pin-out diagram, then splice to them hey.. hmmm but i'll have to extend the wire through the firewall.. hmm that shouldnt be too hard..

hey someone I was talking to said that VTEC will work even in LIMP mode ? is this correct ? I am 99% sure it aint working, but not throwing any VTEC solenoid / oil pressure MIF codes..

Also, there is a small oil leak - it appears to come from under where the VTEC solenoid is.. one theory I have is that cause VTEC is not activating, yet I have taken it above 6,000RPM a few times, that the oil pressure at the solenoid end may be high because usually it is relieved by the activation of the pin that connects the cam-runners together to roll on the Hi-Cam lobes.. and cause it is not moving the pin, it is causeing excess oil pressure in that 'area' thus creating a small leak.. ??

I was told not to worry about it to omuch cause apparently it's common on B-series to get a leak around there.. ?? but I dont like leaks !!
    yes - extend wires from splice at the ECU side through firewall to the MAP sensor.

make sure you use a rubber grommet to protect the wires as they pass through the fire wall, idealy - use and existing grommeted hole - (like the one for the A/C water drain...)

try to get some Honda wires from Honbits

no - no VTEC in 'limp' mode, maybe VTEC in 'safe' mode, but not 'limp' mode...

BTW - if you can rev to 6k rpm, you are probably only in 'safe' mode, not 'limp' mode...

the oil leak around the solenoid could indicate a a clogged screen behind the solenoid which would prevent VTEC engaging.

also check your oil pan is not dented as this also might prevent VTEC engaging.

good luck!
    B20VTEC - since 2002

Member Array
    Car:
    hmm well it lets me rev is as high as I want though have only gone to about 6800.. just to test VTEC , and there was no changeover.. that I could tell.. now I have cat-back and intake so should be able to hear it. and feel it.. after 6000 RPMS the tacho needle just goes freely towards redline but motor has stopped pulling.. so I am guessing no vtec cause my SOHC VTEC had way more top end and from the B16's i've driven it's all about top-end. we tried unplugging the VTEC solenoid to see if it was permanantly in VTEC ( thus super-bad fuel ecconomy and runinng so rich) but this seemed to make no difference..

now in relation to Limp mode versus safe mode.. when I start the car.. it idles roughly and no check engine light for about 5 sec.. then the check engien light comes on.. then about 2 seconds later the idling jumps to about 1600RPM... and the fuel ratio goes ballistic..

I will use the A-con hole or another existing hole and grommet.. I removed air-con..

Member Array
    Car:
    '94 Civic VTi

Get a 12v light hooked up to it to make sure.
    I wasnt running vtec for the first 3~weeks of turbo and i had no topend at all. it was useless revving and i would change way before redline. Alas at this time it wasnt throwing any codes. I only started throwing (consitantly mind u) a code when i got my exhaust/cooler put on.. its werid, but its true.

Make sure the vtec solenoid is correctly wired. The small leak may cause oil pressure in that area to drop and hence not activate it..
    [TNT] Team No Traction - Cos No Traction Is Underrated

Two turbos, is better then one.

Member Array
    Car:
    '94 Civic VTi
    hmm well it lets me rev is as high as I want though have only gone to about 6800.. just to test VTEC , and there was no changeover.. that I could tell.. now I have cat-back and intake so should be able to hear it. and feel it.. after 6000 RPMS the tacho needle just goes freely towards redline but motor has stopped pulling.. so I am guessing no vtec cause my SOHC VTEC had way more top end and from the B16's i've driven it's all about top-end. we tried unplugging the VTEC solenoid to see if it was permanantly in VTEC ( thus super-bad fuel ecconomy and runinng so rich) but this seemed to make no difference..

now in relation to Limp mode versus safe mode.. when I start the car.. it idles roughly and no check engine light for about 5 sec.. then the check engien light comes on.. then about 2 seconds later the idling jumps to about 1600RPM... and the fuel ratio goes ballistic..

I will use the A-con hole or another existing hole and grommet.. I removed air-con..
    Have u got the MAP hooked up yet? Driving without a MAp will be useless! its just gonna dump fuel no matter what, because it has no signal of air at all!
    [TNT] Team No Traction - Cos No Traction Is Underrated

Two turbos, is better then one.

Member Array
    Car:
    that's what I thought - it has NO MAP sensor at ALL connected - as from the workshop !! ferkin idiots I tell ya !!

isnt throwing any VTEC related codes..

Green block gangster Array
    Car:
    twin GX160's

ELD wont just go away. and no VTEC wont engage in LIMP mode

Member Array
    Car:
    well.. 6.30pm Sunday finished wiring the MAP sensor.. reset the ECU.. idling dropped to around 1000RPM (still a little high).. MIF came on.. no LIMP mode.. checked the codes.. 20 and 41 = ELD and O2 heater.. ohh well no MAP sensor code YAY!!

took for a drive.. found a traffic light.. hmm seems to be running nicely, accelerates fine now with no hesitation, I wonder if VTEC is working ?

vvvvvvrrrrrrrrrraaaaaaaaRRRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAA AATTTTTTTTTTTTTTT !!!

awrighty !! cant keep the grin off my face now !!

now gotta get rid of those other codes, but at least I got power and my eccconomy back now !

SUper big thanks to all that helped out on here especialy Tink who I owe a carton of beer or ..something haha

cheers guys, the OZ Honda network comes through once again !!

Member Array
    Car:
    '94 CRX
    grats, welcome to b-series heavan

-2ds

that is fantastic!

congratulations on getting it going, it isnt an easy task to perform

if you start another thread about your other codes - let me know, i will be able to provide suggestions on those ones too...
    B20VTEC - since 2002

Member Array
    Car:
    Yellow DC2R
    great to hear that it worked out and that your VTEC issues are now gone.
    Hope you wont have any further troubles fixing those other error codes.

Tinkerbell... You are a Honda God !!!
    We praise you all for your Knowledge and Skill