Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    FN2R

Timing Belt Tension - B16A

Just installed my new timing belt, tensioner and water pump.

I'm trying to set the tension on the belt but the position of the tensioner seems a little strange to look at.

I'm certain that i've set it up correctly, positioned and set the belt (turned motor over 6x by hand with the tensioner tightened, then loosened it off - turned motor over another 3x teeth on the camshaft then re-tightened tensioner bolt to spec). I've followed the workshop manual strictly.

There is definitely tension on the belt and it seems to be ideal tension, but the tensioner pulley is just sitting a little oddly.

If you can see from the following pictures that the 'sprung' arm on the tensioner is almost 'resting' on the bolt below it... almost as if its in its non-tensioned position.

Any thoughts?

I've turned the motor over a fair few times and all the timing marks line up etc. The new tensioner pulley is the same as the old one.

One thing i must note: I bought a DIY timing belt kit (belt, tensioner pulley and cam seals etc). The belt is the same as the OEM one but the tensioner pulley supplied in the kit was different to my old one. I took it back and got the correct one. The supplier believed that the one i was originally supplied with was in-fact a B16A civic tensioner pulley and the one i had was matched with a CRV pulley. Go figure?

Does the positioning look ok?

Maybe the new belt is stiffer/tighter than the old one and may need to be re-tensioned after a while and then will the tensioner move?

I'm just a bit hesitant to put it all back together without some other opinions.
    Last edited by omgzilla; 10-04-2008 at 08:16 PM.
    FN2R

Green block gangster Array
    Car:
    twin GX160's
    can you get a bette quality pic ?

Member Array
    Car:
    FN2R
    Not really... i can only manage to get my phone in there.

It feels like theres enough tension on the belt and all the timing marks line up once i turn the motor over a few times, it just doesn't look right.
    FN2R

Car:
    twin GX160's

the above pic is of a B16A with no tention on the belt. as you can see its almost touching the head of the bolt. as tention is applied the lifts off slightly.

Car:
    twin GX160's
    another pic of the tentioner taking the slack out of the belt

Member Array
    Car:
    FN2R
    Thanks ECU-MAN. You're a legend.

I looked over it once again and after your pics I was happy to put it all back together. I had 3 coils of the spring showing at the bottom of the little rubber boot (around the spring) and the gap between the tensioner and the oil-pump bolt head just looked less on a different angle.

I ran it tonight with no dramas

Thanks so much mate, you're a very much appreciated helper around here!

+rep!!!
    FN2R

Car:
    twin GX160's
    no probs

Member Array
    Car:
    FN2R
    I can always re-adjust the tension soon to double check. Once the belt has worn in a little.

On another note: have you ever heard of the tensioner being mismatched? The original one I was supplied with was supposedly for B16A but the sprung 'arm' on the tensioner was much longer and the other pivoting arm's pivot hole was smaller than mine. So i gave my old one to the supplier and he matched it with a CRV tensioner???

Any thoughts?
    FN2R

Car:
    twin GX160's
    was it genuine parts from a Honda dealer ???

Member Array
    Car:
    FN2R
    Nah, aftermarket. 'KOYO' I think the name on the bearing might have been.

But still, the supplier was adamant that he's given the same kit to other B16A owners (with the same tensioner bearing i was supplied with at first) and hadn't had any returned. Hmmm...
    FN2R

Car:
    twin GX160's
    as they say "nothing fits Honda like Honda "

Account Disabled Array
    Car:
    CT9A
    Good idea to change the tensioner bolt. There like $8. We always do it when we do timing belt change, less chance of it coming loose. I would only use honda tensioner.