Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

gearbox noise in my vti-r integra?

Hello there,

i just bought a honda integra vti-r a couple of weeks ago.
    there are a few things about the car which puzzle me slightly [overall its a beautiful piece of machinery ], the most concerning for me is what appears to be a kind of "scrunchingy", cross between crunch and meshing sound which comes from what i think is the gearbox.

it is quite noticeable driving very slowly with little load around 1500-1800 rpm [and gear], and particularly there say if you are engine braking in third after giving it a bit of boot [but will do so in any gear again]. a mechanic friend has looked at it/driven it and considers it in the realm of "normal for age" [has done 127k km], but i am a little less settled.

any clues from other owners out there? it is my first experience with honda, maybe it is something i need to get used to?

thanks in advance....

Member Array
    Car:
    Rang Mobile
    just flush the gearbox out and put some new OEM fluid in,
    give that a whirl
    if it doesnt really fix it
    probably worn syncro's

thanks for your reply.
    i would have thought syncros would only make noises during gear changes?
    this happens without any clutch or gearbox operation at all, just when in whatever gear.

the only other way i can describe the noise is kind of like wind noise [but louder than wind, like rushing wind, which also happens when moving very slow, so definitely isnt wind...]

thanks

Jesse

Member Array
    Car:
    ( . )_( . )
    its prolly the input shaft beaing... mine unfortuatley went again or its the thrust bearing simple test press the clutch in,,, if it makes noise from gearbox its the thrust/clutch bearing, let the clutch out, noise from box its the isb.

Member Array
    Car:
    Rang Mobile
    yeh if its a constant wind like a thumping its probably ISB.
    or wheel bearing lawl

thanks guys,
    its what a mechanic friend of mine suggested as well [although hes not that experienced with the ins and outs of integras, so i thought id ask from ppls with more experience]...

any clues on what the $$'s would be to replace the ISB?

since i only just bought the car from a dealer, i suppose i have the task of trying to convince them that it should be covered under the 3 month statutory warranty... :S

cheers

Member Array
    Car:
    Rang Mobile
    well its basically like taking the clutch out.
    so its a $$$ job for such a small thing.
    if its out.
    might aswell change all the stuff in there.

Member Array
    Car:
    ( . )_( . )
    bearing and seal is about 55-100 bux from honda rest is labour, prolly looking at 6-800

thanks for your replies...
    it seems the most likely scenario to me.
    i did some reading on a US forum earlier and they were suggesting it was only 1/2 hour labour to replace the bearing!!! doesnt seem right does it....

Dont bother thinking it's the syncros or the oil it's the input shaft bearing mate, gearbox needs to be taken off and stripped then bearing to be replaced.

Member Array
    Car:
    CL9 Luxury
    Quote Originally Posted by EGB18CT View Post
    its prolly the input shaft beaing... mine unfortuatley went again or its the thrust bearing simple test press the clutch in,,, if it makes noise from gearbox its the thrust/clutch bearing, let the clutch out, noise from box its the isb.

I've got the same problem.. When i tried moving the car using only the clutch there's no noise.. the noise as described only comes in when slight throttle is applied at ard 1500 - 2000 rpm ...

*this is a lil off topic* maybe it's just me but u guys seem to be driving at really low rpm's?

but yeh, just to take out the gbox is like 400-500bux i think cuz it's mofo heavy =p