Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hey all,

So both my front seat belt buckles are screwed.

Knowing there was a recall on these, I phoned the local Honda dealer only to be informed that my car had the recall done in 1998.

Seem's Honda's seat belt buckles are only good for 5 years worth of use :x

So they pass me through to the spare parts center.

"Sorry sir, you can only buy a complete belt and buckle assembly. Cost is $397 each"

Grrrrrr

I am pretty pissed at the moment. Might have to look around for some used ones, although they might develope the same problem.

I'll be damned if I am going to pay ~$900 (with labor) to replace the belt buckles.

Any ideas?

mate..

i would be pissed off too but when you weigh it up then $800 for peace of mind for 5 years is a small fee...especially when i could save your life!

i would reccomend against getting any 2nd hand or from a wrecker because they are than likley to have been in an acco!

Member Array
    Car:
    94 Accord Vti-S
    but if its been in an acco, and they r still fine, it should be all good. unless theirs like blood and crap all over it....

Honda parts are never cheap!
    Thats abit weird, that they only last for 5 years!
    I'll be looking into that

Member Array
    Car:
    94 Accord Vti-S
    ive had my belts and buckles for 9yrs now. and they r all still good

Needs more time... Array
    Blog Entries
    Which honda dealership did you call up?

Try calling up another one just to confirm.

What part is actually broken? I'd suggest one from a reckers (hondabits) and i'm sure you could inspect it to make sure everything is fine.

Gluck!
    Got a question? Check out the FAQ - http://www.ozhonda.com/go/faq

The actual buckle is not accepting the bit you put into it.

I was thinking the dealer mighta been doing something odd. It was Kloster Honda in Newcastle.

It would seem odd that they would fail after 5 years, when the recall wasn't issued until '98 (AFAIK).

It's just a royal pain in the butt.

Quote Originally Posted by Calvo
    but if its been in an acco, and they r still fine, it should be all good. unless theirs like blood and crap all over it....

mate...once a seatbelt has been in a major acco they have to be changed...by law!

if the belts have been stressed then it is possible for them to develop stress tears and cracks in the fibres!...so next time they are stressed they can break!

Quote Originally Posted by prelude89
    The actual buckle is not accepting the bit you put into it.
    that means the buckle has been over stressed...

it is a safety mechanism designed to prevent seatbelts being used once they have been in an acco which has over stressed them..

your fault could have something to do with this safety mechanism

Member Array
    Car:
    94 Accord Vti-S
    Quote Originally Posted by Jnr Teggy
    mate...once a seatbelt has been in a major acco they have to be changed...by law!
    ohh ok. my bad didnt kno that!

it is a safety mechanism designed to prevent seatbelts being used once they have been in an acco which has over stressed them..

You can actually see where the flat metal plunger bit has some of it chipped away.

It's just odd that they have both gone within a couple of weeks.

The drivers side went first, so I was just using the passenger buckle (yeah ... probably wrong and illegal). I've had the car for nine months, and in that time the passenger seat buckle was rarely used (maybe like a dozen times) as opposed to hundreds of times for the driver side.

The odd thing is, on my first 'lude, which I did get the buckles replaced under the recall, it was the passenger side that went first. Never had a problem with the drivers side.

One would think if it was because of an accident then they woulda failed before now.

Anyone had an experience of a dealer lieing to try and boost business?

Quote Originally Posted by prelude89

You can actually see where the flat metal plunger bit has some of it chipped away.

It's just odd that they have both gone within a couple of weeks.

The drivers side went first, so I was just using the passenger buckle (yeah ... probably wrong and illegal). I've had the car for nine months, and in that time the passenger seat buckle was rarely used (maybe like a dozen times) as opposed to hundreds of times for the driver side.

The odd thing is, on my first 'lude, which I did get the buckles replaced under the recall, it was the passenger side that went first. Never had a problem with the drivers side.

One would think if it was because of an accident then they woulda failed before now.

Anyone had an experience of a dealer lieing to try and boost business?

mate...take it to honda and ask for an explanation