Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro Manual

Valve Clearance Check - 40,000km Service

Last week I had a 40,000km service on my 2004 Euro at a Honda dealer and the service manual indicates that a valve clearance check is required. Got the car back and there was no evidence that is was completed - no nuts, noses or screws had been touched

When I questioned the dealer and they checked under the bonnet, they said is must have been an oversight and didn't hesitate making another appointment to have it done.

Sounds like crap and got me wondering how many others they haven't done.

Anyone had a similar experience or have any comments?

Member Array
    Car:
    560hp
    lol, okay.
    MOST dealers don't adjust the valve clearances, the way they check em, is listen for tapping noise. and half of them don't care, because it's only a "Check"
    there's only a few dealers that actually adjust them at 40,000kms no matter what, unless the customer says not to.

Green block gangster Array
    Car:
    twin GX160's
    as above

I used to do them regardless ( unless the car was hot ) then you cant adjust them.

thats true i know some dealers that just wash the covers down and never do them they should be done every 40km at my dealer we do them ever service and with t/belt replacement.

Member Array
    Car:
    IVTEC
    yep same deal, only done when dealers actually hear the noise made by the valve clearances and usually if the noise is there the customer will complain about it anyway .. and as above, never done when car is hot. At 100,000km its usually done with the timing belt on certain cars tho.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5 Type S 05
    hate to break it to you but your dealer doesnt go through every little thing on the service checklists.

some services say,check all chassis bolts for tightness..........you really think the mechanic goes through and torques every single bolt every 50000km's,they just take a look and see if any are obviously loose.

same with valve clearances,most wont adjust them unless specifically asked or if there is very evident noise.dont blame the mechanic.its the dealer that puts the time restraints on them,if the mechanic gets a bonus if you he finishes 8 services a day ofcourse hes not going to take that extra half hour to adjust your valve clearances
    Last edited by teh_mechanic; 28-04-2008 at 10:29 PM.
    CHEAPEST PRO DIY

Member Array
    Car:
    560hp
    Quote Originally Posted by teh_mechanic View Post
    hate to break it to you but your dealer doesnt go through every little thing on the service checklists.

some services say,check all chassis bolts for tightness..........you really think the mechanic goes through and torques every single bolt every 50000km's,they just take a look and see if any are obviously loose.

same with valve clearances,most wont adjust them unless specifically asked or if there is very evident noise.dont blame the mechanic.its the dealer that puts the time restraints on them,if the mechanic gets a bonus if you he finishes 8 services a day ofcourse hes not going to take that extra half hour to adjust your valve clearances
    you know what, i know of a dealer that does re-tighten the chassis bolts.
    and i know of more honda dealers that do em as well.

Member Array
    Car:
    s2000, RIP Prelude Vtir
    Im not sure what dealers you guys go to, But at Nordic Honda where I work we always do valve clearances on every 40,000km intervals. How do I know? Because I can physically see them taking off the rocker cover. Only makes such as Toyotas are just an audible checks and adjustment as required.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5 Type S 05
    Quote Originally Posted by destrukshn View Post
    you know what, i know of a dealer that does re-tighten the chassis bolts.
    and i know of more honda dealers that do em as well.
    that is good.
    i personally dont go to extent of tightening all bolts.
    my boss doesnt allow us that much time,and even if he did,i truthfully probably wouldnt.

im sure many guys do the valve clearance adjustment,but lets be serious guys,alot dont.
    my advice would be to read your service book before you go in and hint at things asking if they will be done and on bigger things like the valve clearance adjustments ask small questions on how they are done.not too much to piss the mechanic off,but enough to let him know you know to some extent what you are talking about
    CHEAPEST PRO DIY