Page 152 of 153 FirstFirst ... 52102142149150151152153 LastLast
Results 1,813 to 1,824 of 1836
    Member Array
    Car:
    klungemobile
    Quote Originally Posted by dougie_504 View Post
    Definitely ok, would be great fun to drive.

What about his build were you concerned about?

Personally I love the D bangers. People just make the mistake of comparing then to B's and K's.

Compared to most other SOHC 1.6L's from other manufacturers they're actually very strong engines.
    Ehhh, it's not so much a mistake to choose the option worth the same money but produces more power.

It is what it is though. Originally it was designed as an economy engine, it is possible to increase power though.

D16 potenial vs B16 potential is incredibly different.

Plus there's more aftermarket support for B series.

If you really want to modify a D though, be smart about it. Just an I/H/E won't make it fantastic.

The DOHC ZC engine is nice. Spoon had one in their AH race car making 230hp at 9800 rpm.
    We're doing it for the children.

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    Quote Originally Posted by newpaddy3 View Post
    Ehhh, it's not so much a mistake to choose the option worth the same money but produces more power.

It is what it is though. Originally it was designed as an economy engine, it is possible to increase power though.

D16 potenial vs B16 potential is incredibly different.

Plus there's more aftermarket support for B series.

If you really want to modify a D though, be smart about it. Just an I/H/E won't make it fantastic.

The DOHC ZC engine is nice. Spoon had one in their AH race car making 230hp at 9800 rpm.

Nah I disagree.

If you want to talk potential then forget Honda engines compared to other options lol. B16A's are nice engines and all, but they're still 4-bangers.

Otherwise, if you're starting with a healthy D16 (which lots of us are, hence the relevance of comparison), why compare your cheap economy engine to a sports engine? Of course it's crap by comparison. But what do you think's better for potential? A budget/low power turbo setup on a D16 or a N/A B16A engine conversion? Both probably cost the same but my money's on the D16 for fun/power.

Potential is in the eye of the beholder. If I want my turbo setup to achieve 120kw ATW on my Y1 I can probably do that for as much or less than doing a B16A swap. In fact getting to 120kw for a standard EG Civic is probably cheapest, easiest, and more enjoyable (torque-delivery) by going turbo on the D16 as opposed to B16 or B18.

Member Array
    Car:
    BREEZE
    You both have valid points.
    part time potato

Member Array
    Car:
    CD5 Accord
    One of the hardest things I found was STD gearing with the D series my cable D series gearbox was good from 3-4-5 but the 1-2 sucked has anyone played around with gearing with there D series build?
    The life of a 4 stroke engine
    It sucks it squeezes it bangs it blows

My gearing is on par with stock k-series boxes. Its a hybrid box using aftermarket/custom/stock gears I've built. Its all about the gearing.

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EJ8
    Quote Originally Posted by dougie_504 View Post
    Nah I disagree.

If you want to talk potential then forget Honda engines compared to other options lol. B16A's are nice engines and all, but they're still 4-bangers.

Otherwise, if you're starting with a healthy D16 (which lots of us are, hence the relevance of comparison), why compare your cheap economy engine to a sports engine? Of course it's crap by comparison. But what do you think's better for potential? A budget/low power turbo setup on a D16 or a N/A B16A engine conversion? Both probably cost the same but my money's on the D16 for fun/power.

Potential is in the eye of the beholder. If I want my turbo setup to achieve 120kw ATW on my Y1 I can probably do that for as much or less than doing a B16A swap. In fact getting to 120kw for a standard EG Civic is probably cheapest, easiest, and more enjoyable (torque-delivery) by going turbo on the D16 as opposed to B16 or B18.
    very true... turbo is the only way to go IMO... N/a can only get u so far, especially if its ur DD car like me.

Though the worked d16 may make XXX amount of kw@wheels, the torque is still crap and gutless... so really i dont think its even worth modding a n/a d16, same deal with B16, both have pretty piss poor power band and torque curve, all the power an torque is at the very top end...

which is why turbo will always walk over the N/a modded version when it comes to the dyno, power band and torque, simple fact of life, still have respect for those who mod a D16 and keeping it N/a, but for me, for the price Turbo is the only way.

And yes, D16 turbo is such a blast to drive! Well any Turbo Honda's in general haha
    I <3 BOOST! D16+T SOHC

It's because of the big lump of torque in most turbo builds that, 9 time out of 10 the NA car will be quicker and easier to drive around a track. Providing the power is comparable.

Member Array
    Car:
    CD5 Accord
    Quote Originally Posted by mrwho View Post
    My gearing is on par with stock k-series boxes. Its a hybrid box using aftermarket/custom/stock gears I've built. Its all about the gearing.
    Thats good no one else seems to play around with gearing if only they realized how much better it will make there setup.
    The life of a 4 stroke engine
    It sucks it squeezes it bangs it blows

Quote Originally Posted by mrwho View Post
    sharing is caring, details...

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    Just get a shorter FD IMO.

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EJ8
    Quote Originally Posted by shake View Post
    It's because of the big lump of torque in most turbo builds that, 9 time out of 10 the NA car will be quicker and easier to drive around a track. Providing the power is comparable.
    we shall see, gonna hit the tracks in oct/nov in my boosted d16 an see how it compares to when it was n/a, obviously there's more power now, but more focusing if its manageable to track vs when it was n/a
    I <3 BOOST! D16+T SOHC

Member Array
    Car:
    Canon 5d
    I have a 335xxxkms d16. will I make it out of the track alive
    you're probably asleep right now but I love you and you're the most beautiful girl I met, inside and out. have a good nights sleep and I hope this puts a smile on your face when you wake up.