Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    2005 Accord Euro Lux 6MT

Creaking Coilovers

I have had a set of Tein SS coilovers installed on my car for the past 2 months or so and have noticed over that past couple of weeks a creaking sound coming from the rear coilovers.

I first noticed it during a period when it was running a couple of days straight and had made the assumption that the noise is worse when they are wet i.e. after going to the carwash. My car is only lowered about 1.5" at the moment and still have stock 17's. It is very noticeable when you slightly lift up the vehicle at the wheel arches on either side and is becoming an annoyance while driving. No sound at all from the front of vehicle. I originally thought that it was the bushes on the Whiteline RSB but found it definitely isn't the problem.

Any ideas?
    Whiteline RSB, Cusco Tower Brace, Tein SS, Ingalls CK, Maven Shift Knob, Comptech Short Shifter, Euro R Grill, FN2 Type R Rims, Jtune ECU Reflash, Jtune Intake, Pending Evolution IX

Member Array
    Car:
    Sydney
    Perhaps its another part of the suspension or the rear sway bar joints?

Get someone to push down on the boot area while you listen for the sound source. If you cant locate it, you could spray the various suspension joints with some automotive grease spray (or perhaps lithium grease spray) and hope that fixes it.
    .© ♪

Member Array
    Car:
    04 Euro
    I've got the same noise as well. Then i found out that the noise is coming from the plastic part in between the spring and the adjustable coil. I grease it up a bit and the noise is gone. Dunno if that the same situation to u

Member Array
    Car:
    JDM EG Built B16a2 Turbo
    Ive had that noise in a set of Second hand Apexi coilies i got for my s15 and found out the right front Coilover was pretty much shot. couldnt get replaced or fixed either....sucks

Member Array
    Car:
    2005 Accord Euro Lux 6MT
    Quote Originally Posted by raz05 View Post
    I've got the same noise as well. Then i found out that the noise is coming from the plastic part in between the spring and the adjustable coil. I grease it up a bit and the noise is gone. Dunno if that the same situation to u
    Finally found the time to check it over. Did the same as you and know the sound has gone! The noise was kinda hard to explain, wasn't exactly a creak or a squeak. Know that you mention it, it did sound like plastic rubbing.
    Last edited by ENVSSS; 02-09-2007 at 05:37 PM.
    Whiteline RSB, Cusco Tower Brace, Tein SS, Ingalls CK, Maven Shift Knob, Comptech Short Shifter, Euro R Grill, FN2 Type R Rims, Jtune ECU Reflash, Jtune Intake, Pending Evolution IX

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro CL9
    --Rezz--

Sorry to re-digg the thread up, but wat did you guys use to grease up the coilovers? And did you just spray it allover the coilovers yes?
    Coz im just gettin alott of sounds right now from the coils, whereever i drive even at some slow speeds.

Member Array
    Car:
    "07" CL9 Limited Lux
    Quote Originally Posted by TRaNz View Post
    --Rezz--

Sorry to re-digg the thread up, but wat did you guys use to grease up the coilovers? And did you just spray it allover the coilovers yes?
    Coz im just gettin alott of sounds right now from the coils, whereever i drive even at some slow speeds.
    I need some advice as well. I drove home tonight and realised some squeaking at the rear left.
    I've had Tein SS coilovers on for about 1 month and its been fine thus far. I have 17" rims and lowered approximately 35mm all round.
    What is the solution to the slight squeaking?
    Is there anything i should do to maintain the coilovers?

BTW wheel alignment had been done.

I am in the same boat as the above,

Can we get some help. I have tried spraying the plastic part with the rust proof stuff i got with the coils with no improvments. mine seems to make noise when i go over a hump so i am thinking when the shocks are extended

Member Array
    Car:
    "07" CL9 Limited Lux
    Quote Originally Posted by euro1986 View Post
    I am in the same boat as the above,

Can we get some help. I have tried spraying the plastic part with the rust proof stuff i got with the coils with no improvments. mine seems to make noise when i go over a hump so i am thinking when the shocks are extended
    Hi...no one replied to my post!
    Anyways, i had the creaking in the front two coils in both occassions. I sprayed WD40 and that got rid of the sound. Dont spray onto the plastic cos i think it might cause damage to plastic parts. Not sure abt that tho. WD40 got rid of the sound for me. =)

Member Array
    Car:
    AWD Yum Cha Trolley
    try not to use WD40

WD40 is formulated in such a way that when it dries up, it takes all the lube with it and u end up with a dry surface.

go out and get yourself a can of silicon spray or something.

<edit> or look for some teflon based lube</edit>

the areas you should be looking to "lube up" is where metal meets plastic or if u can get some "grease in a can", use that for where metial meets metal. usually at the top or bottom of the actual spring.

<edit> wurth do a grease 2000, so do motorex. but i'm sure you'll find some other generic brands who do the same thing</edit>

this is usually because the springs have a painted/anodized surface when new, and this wear down and causes a squeaking.

try not to lube up the actual shaft as it promotes the sticking of dirt/dust/sand which can cause scarring of the actual damper(shocker) and kill it.

hope that helps.
    Last edited by overl0ad; 30-03-2008 at 06:50 PM. Reason: addition

Member Array
    Car:
    05 Euro M Red 6
    Same problem with mine after about 8 month usuage. Can you grease the top of the unit without removing the wheels etc? Good brand of silicon spray for this??
    I went to the modded XR5 Turbo with Mods - the dark side.....BOOOOST!

Member Array
    Car:
    AWD Yum Cha Trolley
    i use the Wurth suff or motorex, but i get them as a trade thing. so i have NFI where to get them as a private person.

sorry.
    Definition of punctuation:
    The set of standard symbols used in writing to separate words into sentences, phrases, clauses, and to help a reader to understand the text.