Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast
    Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe

Honda Australia planning to trial cooking model UK Civic hatch

UK Civic hatch for Oz
    http://carpoint.com.au/car-review/2931179.aspx

Prepared to spend $35K for a Civic? You'll have to be if you're after the funky five-door Civic hatch

Honda Australia is close to securing supply of a non-Type R hatch model to add to its top-selling Civic line-up. But the bad news is the funky UK-sourced five-door will cost around $35K by the time it arrives loaded with extra equipment over the current sedan models.

Honda Australia says the five-door hatch is now firmly on the agenda. It will be offered as an up-spec Civic, to create pricing room between it and the sedan and hybrid Civic models.

Company boss Lindsay Smalley said at the launch of the Accord Euro in Vienna this week that Honda Australia first approached the UK division for supply of the hatch model almost three years ago.

"Our first step was to bring in Civic Type R; in low volume," says Smalley. "If you look at the small car segment, we currently only compete with the Civic sedan, and the sedan component of that segment is only about 40 per cent of total sales. So we see a hatch variant as a real opportunity for us."

Preventing the company from making moves sooner is the fact sourcing the cars from the UK is more expensive compared to Honda's plants elsewhere (such as Thailand for the Accord and Civic sedan) thanks to increased logistics and shipping costs.

The exchange rate for the Australian dollar versus the British pound sterling is also prohibitive, and no Free Trade Agreement exists to allay duty, which would be added on top of an already strong UK currency. The premium for the European Civic hatch over the sedan could be as much as $5000.

"We also need to consider where an up-spec model would sit within our line-up, without cannibalising other products in the range."

According to Smalley the current (first) generation Accord Euro and the five-door Civic hatch are dimensionally similar, and would also be close on specification and therefore share market or buyer target.

However, the second-generation Accord Euro is larger and more powerful than the outgoing model.

"We now see an entry point for the five-door Civic," says Smalley. "We've spoken to dealers and our next step is to bring a five-door to Australia for market research."

Senior Vice President for Honda Europe, Ken Keir said sales of the UK-built Civic hatch would be beneficial to the company not only from a volume point of view but for the "buzz" and prestige of selling the model in a highly competitive market such as Australia.

"For Honda [UK], it [export to Australia] was a major step forward. I would liken exporting cars to Australia to where we were four years ago, when we first exported Civic three-door back to Japan. That was a big psychological goal," said Keir.

"When Australia came up for the Type R the buzz was fantastic, because we've gone to the 'other side'. It's not the volume but the statement that's important. In the UK, Australia is important; it's emotionally meaningful."

According to Keir and Smalley, "Best case" for local timing on the Civic hatch would be middle of next year; sometime after the "minor" mid-life facelift expected for the model.

The UK-built hatch also uses ISOFIX child seat anchor points which 'fail' ADR approval, furthering delay. Honda Australia says it won't apply for dispensation to have the seat fixtures pass scrutiny for sale.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    I wonder what Honda Australia is smoking to want to bring in the 1.8L 5 door Civic hatch at $35k?

Member Array
    Car:
    ( . )_( . )
    wtf 5door hatch for 35k? so this is ment to compete against like focus, mazda 3, vw's? pfft all they need is the 5 dr sedan type r, or bring in like gli base model, your vti or si like the states and a type r version... looks like the type r wont be coming...

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    It seems that Honda Australia has lost touch with its customer base, preferring to bring in what they think is good, rather than what the customer wants. Looks like they are going to repeat the US-sourced Accord fiasco and suffer a few years with low sales...

Member Array
    Car:
    EG5 > CL9 > RE4
    5 door ? ? ? ? WTF.. stop it please, killin me LOLz

Quote Originally Posted by aaronng View Post
    I wonder what Honda Australia is smoking
    I want to know too.. $5k is a hefty amount to slap on a car in that segement.
    DLUG Racing

Member Array
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Earth, Milky Way
    Car:
    Honda Accord Euro (LUX)
    For that price it better come with standard GPS/navigation system and 17" (if not 18") wheels. Otherwise it's way too expensive. A little bit more and you could buy the Type-R.

Member Array
    Car:
    Milano Red FN2R
    Yeah wft is honda thinking man... like if i wanted a 5 door hatch id buy the jazz for half the price!!!! n spend the rest on mods (turbo) i tell ya these Honda execs need to get booted out!!!

But at the same time maybe they are targeting it more for the upper class hatches like BMW 1 series... or the audi A3.. that is if it comes with standard GPS, leather n 18in.. id buy that over the shitty underpowered 120i

still think its stupid... like why wont honda bring in a new NSX and S2000... i mean audi have brought in there new super car the R8... n BMW is about to release theirs so i dun see why honda would bother with a 5 door hatch instead of reinstating to the world that a japanese company like Honda can make equally if not better cars then their german rivals!!!

Rant over!...

Member Array
    Car:
    09 jazz
    We don't need 5 door civic like that wit this price, pls give us FD2R instead~

$27k or so inc on roads...that would be a winner.

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Quote Originally Posted by bennjamin View Post
    $27k or so inc on roads...that would be a winner.
    VTiL driveaway is about that price already.... and the article says it is about 5k more for this hatch over the sedan. I'd rather buy a Civic Sport for that price!

bah... who will buy it over the Type R... its crazy pricing...

then again why would they bring in 2 different Type Rs...

even though one is sedan one is hatch... wouldnt they be competing in the same market segment...

honda management is without leadership...

they should have brought in the FD2 from the start... then they could bring in this 5 dr hatch model...