Lost the cap on coolant reservoir tank!

I was topping up the coolant and after I finished, I must've forgotten to replace the cap (whiteish plastic one), because now it's gone somewhere =(

I hopped over to honbits, but unfortunately they didn't have any spare caps for me.

I was just wondering if it's vital for me to find a new one asap, or if it'd be okay if i just stuck gladwrap or some tape over the top of it for now? The coolant level doesn't seem to have dropped (enough to be noticeable anyway) over the few days before i noticed the cap was missing.

Cheers!
    Last edited by jzdhgkd; 10-05-2008 at 07:10 PM.

you sure you lost it ? Its connected to a black tube , which is connected to the actual radiator cap ( just below) Sure you havent dropped it below into the radiator somewhere ?

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Yeah, there is a black tube running through the cap, so you couldn't have lost it that easily.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

yup the black tube is held in place , with a small circlip. So it wont fall off easily at all - takes a decent tug ! Chances are its there somewhere.

Thanks for the prompt replies!

But hmmm.. is it the same for all hondas? Recent ones anyway?
    I've got a got an 04 dc5r, and it's not the metal radiator cap (i've never taken that one off before actually lol.. noob for real )

Anyway it's the little plastic cap that's on top of the white plastic tank with min/max markings that sits right at the front underneath the bonnet. Unfortunately I don't remember it having a tube when I took the cap off.

If it was actually supposed to have a black tube then... :S haha

Member Array
    Car:
    Choo Choo shoe.
    lol -.-"

well that tank is only an overflow for the radiotor.
    and yeh its suppose to have that black tube lol.
    unless the black tube goes into the resevoir? :/
    buh if it doesnt.. then your kinda missing the tube AND the cap..

wudnt recommend glad wrap.. -.-" i mean .. heat+plastic+coolant+running engine+dc5r= catastrophe?
    maybe not but still wudnt recommend it.

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Quote Originally Posted by jzdhgkd View Post
    Anyway it's the little plastic cap that's on top of the white plastic tank with min/max markings that sits right at the front underneath the bonnet. Unfortunately I don't remember it having a tube when I took the cap off.

If it was actually supposed to have a black tube then... :S haha
    Are there any tubes coming out of the tank now? If not, then you are missing a tube as well. LOL

Haha oh man!

I guess i'll go back to honbits, and if no luck there, i'll have to go to honda themselves! Hopefully they don't charge exorbitant prices for a little cap+tube like that..

Thanks guys

Out of curiosity, what's the little black tubing there for anyway?

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Quote Originally Posted by jzdhgkd View Post
    Haha oh man!

I guess i'll go back to honbits, and if no luck there, i'll have to go to honda themselves! Hopefully they don't charge exorbitant prices for a little cap+tube like that..

Thanks guys

Out of curiosity, what's the little black tubing there for anyway?
    The tube connects to the top of the radiator. When there is too much pressure, the radiator cap opens up and allows excess coolant to go into the tank (hence overflow tank). The opposite can also happen when there is not enough coolant in the radiator, coolant is sucked into the radiator from the tank.

If you have a tank with no tubes whatsoever coonecting it to the radiator, then all you have is equivalent to a bottle of coolant accidentally left in the engine bay... does nothing.

Ah that makes sense, thanks =)

On a side note, I took a look and there seems to be a tube of some sort that connects from the radiator to the coolant tank, but to another spot next to where the lid used to be. The tube felt hollow (so liquid could easily flow through). Hopefully hopefully this is the tube you guys are referring to, even though it doesn't feed back through the cap.

That's just my observation anyway, you guys know much more about this stuff than I do =) I'll just have to keep my eye on the water temp gauge!

By the way I can't add to your PQ points until I rack up 100 of my own huh? That's a shame; if I could, I would :P