Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Draining engine oil

I took my car to service, and saw the technician siphon the old oil out through the place where you pour in the oil. Is this normal practice or a dodgy quick way to drain the oil instead of removing the bolt at the bottom? I'm leaning towards dodgy because this would mean most of the crap is still in the engine. Anyone shed some light?
    Thanks

Member Array
    Car:
    EM1
    it wont be fully drained, well as much as it should be drained

what a tite ass of a garage, dont even have a hoist?
    lol...
    "since we're both asian.. I'll look after you and chuck in King Springs with the wheels and tyres for $1050"

You know you want too... Array
    Car:
    DC2R + VT750c2
    an interesting way of doing things... how on earth would they get a syphon down through the head past the crank and into the sump? that is impossible?????

Im confused?

Quote Originally Posted by Zilli View Post
    an interesting way of doing things... how on earth would they get a syphon down through the head past the crank and into the sump? that is impossible?????

Im confused?
    I got no idea. I just saw them shove a plastic hose down and siphoned the oil out, then poured in the new oil. Mind you, this was done at a respectable garage.

Car:
    DC2R + VT750c2
    are you sure you saw this at a mechanic or you are just checking to see if this is possible because you cant be bothered getting underneath?

The whole point of having a sump at the bottom (the boulous part at the bottom of your motor that the drain plug is screwed into) is to have acentral place to collect all of your oil. Most of the contaminants and rubbish in your oil will drain down there or be caught in your oil filter. syphoning oil out from the top is impossible.

I 100% saw the mechanic do it. It was weird. Basically he popped the hood, took off oil cap, put hose down, connect hose to some suction machine of some sort, and out the oil went. Then immediately after he poured in the new oil. After that, the car was hoisted up and the oil filter was replaced and the rest of the service continued (brake fluid, gearbox fluid replaced)

Car:
    DC2R + VT750c2
    where was this done? It sound highly unusual for it to happen this way. In fact it sounds ridiculous... where was this done?

Quote Originally Posted by Zilli View Post
    where was this done? It sound highly unusual for it to happen this way. In fact it sounds ridiculous... where was this done?
    Am i allowed to say where it was done?
    Yeah i'm no mechanic and i though it was bizzare. I know i am not dillusional.
    This was done at my 40k service

Member Array
    Car:
    04 civic gli
    yo fellas,there is a device that you put down your dipsick tube and it will sifen the oil out of the engine.ive used one at one of the mechanical shops i worked at.i dont like em.if you dont put tube all the way in to the bottom of the sump,then it wont such out all the oil from the bottom.i didnt think there was any real bennefit to it,so i used to do oil changes the conventional way.
    hope this helps.

Member Array
    Car:
    porsche boxster
    Quote Originally Posted by insanesam View Post
    I 100% saw the mechanic do it. It was weird. Basically he popped the hood, took off oil cap, put hose down, connect hose to some suction machine of some sort, and out the oil went. Then immediately after he poured in the new oil. After that, the car was hoisted up and the oil filter was replaced and the rest of the service continued (brake fluid, gearbox fluid replaced)
    So he filled the new oil then took off the oil filter and replaced it?

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    ^^ Yup, you can if you do it through the dipstick tube in a B/H/D series. However, on newer engines, the dipstick tube is actually along the oil galleries and it is not possible to insert a tube of reasonable size to the sump.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Quote Originally Posted by EKVTIR-T View Post
    So he filled the new oil then took off the oil filter and replaced it?
    You can do that, the only time oil is circulated through the oil filter is when the oil pump is doing its job.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2