clunking when lifting off throttle

Hey guys,
    My bro just purchased a 2000 Civic coupe VTi-R and recently when you lift off the throttle there is a loud clunk coming from the gearbox area. Could this be gearbox mounts? Also the thing runs really cold. Could that just be from the CAI...the temp guage seems to only go up just above the cold indicator.
    Any help would be great!
    Brand new TODA 4-2-1 race header for DC5 for sale...pm if interested.

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    For the coolant temp problem, the thermostat needs to be replaced. For the clunking, it could be engine mounts, transmission mounts, suspension bushings... Check everything.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Member Array
    Car:
    EK4
    sounds like rear gearbox mount or mounts ! check all your mounts for wear and tear.
    usually rear engine mounts are the culprit for knocking off and on throttle.
    to you

OzHONDA FTL

Member Array
    Car:
    '92 EG Civic VTi
    Quote Originally Posted by kayot1k View Post
    sounds like rear gearbox mount or mounts ! check all your mounts for wear and tear.
    usually rear engine mounts are the culprit for knocking off and on throttle.
    Is the clunking persistent, constant clunking? Or is it just once every time you lift off? Tell us a little more so we know exactly what it is

Hey guys,
    It seems to only do it when lifting off the throttle. I think its been vtec'd too much!
    Brand new TODA 4-2-1 race header for DC5 for sale...pm if interested.

Member Array
    Car:
    EM1
    the car did have its gearbox dissassembled.
    so who knows.
    "since we're both asian.. I'll look after you and chuck in King Springs with the wheels and tyres for $1050"

Member Array
    Car:
    '92 EG Civic VTi
    What I mean is, does it constantly clunk like **clunk clunk clunk clunk**, or is it just **CLUNK!** and done.

Is it very loud?