Thread: Offset Question

Offset Question

Quick question guys, ive searched the forum but i havent been able to find the answer. obviously i understand how an offset principle works, But what i want to know is:

Most hondas have an offset of around +40...what would happen if u put a wheel with an offset of +10(for example) onto a civic. Obviously the wheel would stick out heaps, but thats not a massive issue, ill just pump the guards. what about the larger stress placed on the hub, could that be a problem??? are there any other issues that i would have to worry about????

Ozhonda Supporter Array
    Car:
    MV Agusta F4
    Absolutley, the further you go out the more the strain.
    Deano.

Member Array
    Car:
    Jazz EVO IX
    its illegal in NSW for them to stick out over the guard. You will get defected straight away.
    Evo IX - THE FINAL EVOLUTION

Ozhonda Supporter Array
    Car:
    MV Agusta F4
    It is illegal anywhere. Plus he said he'll pump the gaurds.

Thats not his question anyway.
    Deano.

^ exactly...

i mean in theory if you have spacers on a car, wouldnt that apply the same straining forces to the hub???? obviously spacers are illegal and silly in my opinion, but...essentially i want to know if its "safe" to drive a honda civic with 10+ offsets for example...

or another point, why is it safe for sylvias/skylines/ae86's to have low offsets? whats the difference between the 2.

Noob crowd controller Array
    Car:
    Civic
    Quote Originally Posted by LUD35 View Post
    or another point, why is it safe for sylvias/skylines/ae86's to have low offsets? whats the difference between the 2.
    It is due to the location of their hubs relative to the guards. The hubs on the cars mentioned sit further in from the guards therefore require a larger offset.
    See a good post? Give it a PQ point.

Quote Originally Posted by ludecrs View Post
    They have the depreciation re-sale value of a burnt out and multi-rolled Commodore.

Member Array
    Car:
    porsche boxster
    Quote Originally Posted by Zdster View Post
    It is due to the location of their hubs relative to the guards. The hubs on the cars mentioned sit further in from the guards therefore require a larger offset.
    That's irrelevant.He means the force/stress placed on the hub.
    As in why can ae86's and nissans use low offset and not Honda.

I don't really see any issue with using a lower offset honestly.
    My rims are pretty low offset and no problems.

Member Array
    Car:
    Jazz EVO IX
    ae86s and most rear wheel drives have shorter shafts to the hub, that's why they use low offsets.
    Evo IX - THE FINAL EVOLUTION

Quote Originally Posted by Limbo View Post
    ae86s and most rear wheel drives have shorter shafts to the hub, that's why they use low offsets.
    ah. now we are getting somewhere...thanks Limbo, rep point 4 u!

anyone else have anymore information on this one? ive seen photos of civics n integras in the states with 0 offset...looks intense

thats about it chris, all that has been said, further out it is, the more of a lever affect of strain you are putting on your components that support that wheel, advantages - looking good , perhaps better handling cause of a wider track of the car, disadvantages - excessive wear on all the parts, driveshafts , bearings , studs , etc etc list goes on, it heavily out weighs the advantages