Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    Violet the DC2R EG

Wiper problems on dc2r EG civic

Hopefully the ozhonda brains-trust can help me out on this one.

I have a dc2r converted EG civic and the wipers wont return to their 'at rest' position. If I turn them off they just stop in the middle of my windscreen.

I've replaced the wiper cluster to no avail.

Can someone help?

the actual problem , isnt relevant to your conversion.

What the issue more than likely is , is the nuts that hold the wipers to the motors are slightly loose. When the wiper blade makes a revolution it fails to return all the way because it gets stuck with friction.

Try this. Open your bonnet all the way up (vertical)
    Grab a spanner or socket + a 14mm piece. Loosen the 2 x nuts that hold the wipers to the motors. Use both your hands and make sure the wiper is FLAT down and parallel with the windshield, then tighten the 2 x nuts hand tight + 1/2 a turn.

Member Array
    Car:
    ( . )_( . )
    lol ^ try that, ur conversion has nothing to do with the wipers, try what mr bennjamin said

Member Array
    Car:
    Violet the DC2R EG
    Thanks bennjamin but i don't think that would help.
    The wipers themselves operate correctly all the time, the problem is when I switch them off. Instead of them returning to the bottom they just stop whenever I 'flick the switch'. At the moment I just turn them off when they reach the bottom of my windscreen.

so , when you turn them off the stay at halfway - or do they go to the bottom then back to the middle ?

The conversion shouldnt have anything to do with it , unless you have cut some funky wires somewhere in the dash or firewall area. I know from experience its all bolt in/bolt out.

Member Array
    Car:
    Violet the DC2R EG
    they stay wherever they were when I turn them off.
    i.e If i turn them off at 25% travel, they stay there. if I turn them off at 80% travel, they stay there.

I mentioned my conversion on the off chance it had any effect. I originally assumed it was the wiper 'stalk' on the steering wheel. I've since changed this for another item with no change.

follow the wiring from your stalk back to see if there is a problem/cut somewhere. If no change with new stalk its relevant @ the ECU side. See if there is any wires crossed or shorting out or a bad ground somewhere

Member Array
    Car:
    Violet the DC2R EG
    i'll have a look, anything else I should check while i'm at it?

Member Array
    Car:
    Sydney
    Perhaps a fuse that controls the auto-wiper function has blown?

Do you still have the original EG bits? try putting them back on and see if it does the same thing.
    .© ♪

Member Array
    Car:
    doorstop
    If wipers work there are no blown fuses to look for.

Could be a coupla things,

1. Theres a set of contacts acting on slip rings inside the wiper motor gearbox cover that could be broken or u havent got a good ground connection to the wiper motor,check these.

2. The integrated control unit (located in the back of your underdash fusebox) could be having sticking relay problems or circuit malfunction.

3. U have a bad ground to the integrated control unit or the wire that connects between the integrated control unit & the wiper motor contacts is broken.

Member Array
    Car:
    Violet the DC2R EG
    Thanks CRXer,
    I'll investigate the ICU

anyone have a quick link to pinout diagrams before I go searching?

Member Array
    Car:
    doorstop
    As far as pinouts go,i just had a look at a spare DC2 harness i have here,should be the same colours as your EG,

Blue/white wire = between wiper motor & integrated control unit

Blu/green wire = between wiper switch & integrated control unit

If u pull the 10 pin plug out of the integrated control unit & test for continuity between these 2 wires above on the plug,it should be continuous when the switch is both in the off position & int position,check both positions(do test with ignition key turned off & the wiper blades set down in the off position).

If it is continuous then u know the integrated control unit has a problem,if it is not then u can then start braking down the circuit from there to see where the cut in the circuit is.

btw,what happens when u put the wipers in the int position,do they work normally or at all?
    Last edited by CRXer; 20-05-2008 at 12:16 AM.