Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2 Amps

Member Array
    Car:
    EM1 -> DC2R

2 Amps

Hey how would I connect 2 amps to my car? Do I just split the power cable @ the end or like run 2 separate power lines? or Just series it to the other amp? What is required? Capacitor? Thanks...

Member Array
    Car:
    DC/WRX
    split it at the end with a distrobution block so essentially at the front of ur car u will have the one power cable going into the block then it will split it into two seperare power connections

depends on how thick the cable you are using

http://www.stingerelectronics.com/prodimages/SPD510.jpg

then you will have the 2 individual ground connections to the chassis and then u can run then remote wire from the headunit from one amp and then piggyback it to the other amp, and dont forget your RCA cables.

a cap i think isnt nessessary, just upgrade your groud connections and you should be fine =)
    Last edited by solitz; 15-05-2008 at 09:03 PM.
    Life Doesn’t Start Until 9000RPM!

Member Array
    Car:
    accord euro
    dude, take it to a professional... from the sounds of things if you attempted it you'd be reaching for a fire extinguisher pretty soon after

Member Array
    Car:
    EK Civic Hatchback
    you wanna do it properly.... run two seperate cables!

also you need to consider running your ground back to the batterey as well!

lol.

do this wrong,
    and you'll get a buzzing noise
    '12 PWP Tree Hugging Machine
    '99 GPW S2000
    '99 CW DC2R

Member Array
    Car:
    accord euro
    mrpsi- are you serious?

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic
    If you want to do it properly then then run one appropriate gauge and fused cable from the battery to a fused distribution block (assuming you're planning on using one large cable from battery and 2 smaller cables to the amps). run appropriate gauge cable from distro block to each amp. Upgrade the factory ground to an appropriate gauge, and ground your amps to a bare piece of metal on the chassis.

Appropriate gauge cable will be dictated by the amp's current requirement (overkill is not a bad thing); fuses shall be selected by using a minimum value so as to avoid nuisance blows and at a maximum that they will protect the cable from excess current (fire hazard).

Exact values can be worked out easily once you have chosen your amps.

Remote turn on can be daisy chained between 2 amps without too many dramas... any more and you should use a relay.
    Last edited by micka; 16-05-2008 at 06:56 PM.
    Intentionally Left Blank

Member Array
    Car:
    2000 dc2r
    if you put in a fuse less then 1 foot from the battery terminal, and then run some 4 gauge to the amp, and then a distribution block, (or even a volt-meter/fuse - comes with the 1000w install kit from supercheaps) and then earth to the same point, shared remote line, there will be no problems.
    unless you are running both amps to one side of a dual voice coil.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5 Type S 05
    like everyone said,run 1 large fused power wire to a distribution block in the boot,that will split it into 2 wires coming from that,1 wire for each amp.u can just cut your remote turn on wire and solder 2 wires coming out from it,and you will need to run an rca cable down the car for each amp
    CHEAPEST PRO DIY

Member Array
    Car:
    2000 dc2r
    Quote Originally Posted by teh_mechanic View Post
    like everyone said,run 1 large fused power wire to a distribution block in the boot,that will split it into 2 wires coming from that,1 wire for each amp.u can just cut your remote turn on wire and solder 2 wires coming out from it,and you will need to run an rca cable down the car for each amp
    you can pick up rca splitters, and run one set of rca's
    unless you have 1 amp for a sub, and 1 amp for 4 chanels in which case it's gonna depend on what your stereo is capable
    I have a panasonic, has 3 set's of rca's 5.0v pre outs, and can turn off the on-board for the 4 chanels.
    when i was running 3 subs in the car i would just split off the rca line, because my stereo has all the low/high pass filters

what are your stereo capabilities?
    how many rca, and what are the 2 amps going to be powering?

Member Array
    Car:
    Choo Choo shoe.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrpsi View Post
    you wanna do it properly.... run two seperate cables!

also you need to consider running your ground back to the batterey as well!

dont run sound system ground back to the battery -.-"
    no ground is ran back to the battery.
    everything is "chassied" (if thats a word :/)

if you want to run it back to your battery run a 2nd battery.
    ground that to the chassis and go ground your amps to that battery.
    but even if you had a 2nd battery id still ground it to the chassis.
    like what i did.
    im running 4 amps with 2 T-way power cable split and a, 0g input-4 8g output, distribution block
    all 4 have seperate ground.
    though its all out of the car atm.
    fibreglassing enclosure. figgured id take some mdf out to reduce weight. :/
    not by much though -.-"

Member Array
    Car:
    EM1 -> DC2R
    Thanks for input guys! Might try this during UNI Break! So yeh basically the idea is one big fused wire from battery to boot, the distribution block to 2 smaller powered lines into amp. Then yeh have 1 pair RCA for mono, and 2 pairs for 4 channel amp. then thats it yeh. And Ground it just like another other amp.