Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    You know you want too... Array
    Car:
    DC2R + VT750c2
    so is there any inherent advantage in having a "proper" dedicated timing device?

if you refer my and arrongs device as "proper" -

Pro's -

portability
    ease of use
    live updates of current times/past times/speed/performance etc
    personal tracking of ALL data (race lines , speeds , top speed etc)
    free to use forever as opposed to a extra fee per trackday

cons - initial cost...thats it.

It really is a cool piece of kit. The fone sits somewhere in your car and you drive. Lap lap lap....you take a time out and cross reference to your GPS timer. You can browse each lap , and each sector of the track , each speed and a telemetry of your accel/braking etc. Its really cool. Similar to what actual race drivers use to analyze their own performance.

IMO its great because you can go to a track , any track in the world and use this bit of software. No need for an organized day , just go for it.

Member Array
    Car:
    EG5 > CL9 > RE4
    Sorry, i dont know if Wakefield probably dont supply timing device, the phone that Ben advise seems to be a good idea

Car:
    DC2R + VT750c2
    thanks Ben,

I was moreso trying to determine why one woul spend 500 on a dedicated lap timing unit as opposed to your method...

thanks

oh...it seems like a waste to spend such a vast amount of money on anything else.

PS get my method its cool

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Do you plan to do trackdays without timing? Most of the ones organised here come with timing. Just grab yourself a cheap bluetooth GPS and you're set.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

I have used both Mychron (from AIM) and Alfano for timing in cars. Personal favourite is the Mychron, easy to use and can give you great data. Although it does cost a little more than the alfano it is well worth the money, the features that are included are very useful when it comes to racing.
    Quote Originally Posted by duped View Post
    what's a mugen?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikki View Post
    ill wash urs u wash mine?

Car:
    DC2R + VT750c2
    so for about 200 plus a handset that i can use i can make it happen using your method Benny.

Aarong, i reckon i would man, 2 months is a long time to wait, so id be tempted to just go on an open day to blow off steam between timed sessions, thats why i wouldnt mind getting something i can use...

A member has brought to my attention a Michyronlight tg unit for sale for $345... sticker price retail is 500... the website doesnt tell me much about what it does other than time the laps though, any insights? for that money id be tempted really

I will speak to the guys at AIM tomorrow and see what I can find out for you. The base systems that are used were designed for Karts but can also be used on cars. Shoot us your number if you like and I will see if some of my old sponsors have any stock they are looking to clear
    Quote Originally Posted by duped View Post
    what's a mugen?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikki View Post
    ill wash urs u wash mine?

Member Array
    Car:
    RunX
    The performance box's main draw back is it can only measure to an accuracy of 0.1s. Depending on skill levels, 0.1s isn't enough resolution. For the money I would buy the AIM MyChron. It is still GPS but has a 0.01s resolution, plus it has the nice feature of being able to setup your own sectors on your PC if you buy the software. There are 2 versions of the MyChron unit, the Lite TG and the Lite TG LOG. The Blitz lap timer is cheap and does to 0.01s but relies on magnetic strips in the track.

Quote Originally Posted by aaronng View Post
    Do you plan to do trackdays without timing? Most of the ones organised here come with timing. Just grab yourself a cheap bluetooth GPS and you're set.
    Hey,

What bluetooth GPS did you use? Are there any minimum requirements cause RaceChrono recommend about 1Hz receivers

cheers

Member Array
    Car:
    Lotus Exige
    wow. good idea ben and aarong