Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newcomer Array
    Hey guys new around here and was just wanting to ask a few questions to other owners of the good ol' breeze!

Now, im hooked on sound a bit at the moment (yeah yeah don't start :P )
    And anyway, i have a sony headunit and just 2 kenwood 6 inch speakers running off that.. Anyway because i didn't have a clue about putting the 6 inch speakers into the door i just put them in 2 box's in the boot..
    Now my question is, would the speakers fit in the door fine? Because i wouldn't mind chucking a sub in..
    (don't say put the speakers on a parcel shelf because there isn't one)
    Now! heres my other question..
    I hear chucking the amp underneath the front seat is a good idea, but anyway i was wondering if you guys could recomend me what size and what sub and amp would suit me best? I don't want to spend alot.. So just want to get a idea of what i'd have to spend..

Thanks guys if anyone can help.. very much appreciated!

Member Array
    Car:
    1999 EK Civic GLi HB
    How bout you just give the subbie a miss? I hate subbies in cars - too much hassle, pain in the arse to sit in the back and seriously just stupid. Just stick to getting 6x9's or something like that in the back and the biggest fronts that will fit cos let's face it - Civics are small and subbies, amps and all that is not necessary. Getting the amp would be ok but don't be a dick - let go of the subbie!!!

Newcomer Array
    mm i dunno :s
    i want to get one ..

Needs more time... Array
    Blog Entries
    Hows about you give us a price for your budget?

PS: This belongs in the Audio/Video section
    Got a question? Check out the FAQ - http://www.ozhonda.com/go/faq

Newcomer Array
    anywhere up to 600? not much i know

Member Array
    Car:
    94 Civic EG5 with JDM B16
    would have t dissagree with scoota..

EG hatchy is a speaker-box on wheels.. at least ONE 12" sub with 6x9's and some front splits.. 2-400W amp... and you will be shaking out all the bolts !!

Needs more time... Array
    Blog Entries
    Err.....sorry but there's not way you can get a pair of 6x9s to make nice clean bass like a good 10 or 12" sub.

Forget the 6x9s (put em on high pass) and run all the bass to your sub.
    Got a question? Check out the FAQ - http://www.ozhonda.com/go/faq

Anyway because i didn't have a clue about putting the 6 inch speakers into the door i just put them in 2 box's in the boot..
    Now my question is, would the speakers fit in the door fine?
    They must sound pretty average in those boxes.

What you should do is mount the speakers into the door pods. 6-inchers should easily fit and would sound much better at the front than at the back of the car. For best imaging, always mount speakers at the front and try not to run rears. If you currently have co-ax speakers then i also suggest you upgrade to splits before going for the sub/amp option. Mount the splits in the doors, you might need to make custom brackets (not hard at all) and run them off an amp. You will be amazed at the SQ difference between co-ax's running off a HU and splits running off an amp!

I hear chucking the amp underneath the front seat is a good idea
    Only if you have enough space and adequate ventilation. Amps get hot, and if it has a large heatsink it will dissipate a lot of heat. This means that the seat may get very hot (if it is a big amp) and if there's not enough ventilation the thing might catch on fire. Be careful if you plan on doing this.

but anyway i was wondering if you guys could recomend me what size and what sub and amp would suit me best? I don't want to spend alot.. So just want to get a idea of what i'd have to spend..
    Can you work the budget a bit more?

A 12" sub/amp combo with splits at the front would sound awesome in your Civic. The EG shape is actually perfect for sound systems and if you setup the sub properly, you will get good bass loading.

For sub brands you can look at: Alpine, JL, MTX, Hertz...
    Amp brands to check out: Jaycar (cheap!), Alpine, Coustic, Kicker...

I've kinda lost touch with prices lately but you should be able to get an ok 12" sub and amp for $600. Either an Alpine Type-R, Hertz HS300 or JLW0 running of a Coustic amp would be perfect.

It will also depends on your musical taste.

Oh, can you also give us more info on the speakers you have at the moment. Have you got any amps?

Hope that helps...
    Vic.

Newcomer Array
    thanks for your long post man

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/prod...7a8d7b41c83463

That is what i have at the moment..

mm, My dad is a pro at woodwork, so i was maybe thinking of making it look tidy in the boot? Do you reckon i should waste the time and do that?

Is that possible to make it look tidy with wood? Or is it all perspex and all that kinda stuff ?

Don't waste your time making another box for the co-ax's...

Mount them in the front doors!

Newcomer Array
    mm, a bit techno as of late.. Anything with a bit of doof doof.. like wayne g - twisted..

Thats my tastes really to be played..

Member Array
    Car:
    DA9 Integra LS
    Nice components, good installation, and you'll be set. I've been installing stereos for both myself and my mates for years, and I can't mention enough how important it is to have matched components of your stereo, and have them put in the car properly. Take your time (or write a big cheque) and you cant go wrong.

Just keep it simple. My stereo isn't at all top of the line, but it does what is expected of it extremely well. Many people are suprised when they realise just how few components I have.

I'd go into details but I don't trust the net too much.