Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    93' DA9

LS VTEC conversion..

Thinking of doing an LS VTEC conversion on my 93' LS..Just wanting to know a few things:

1. Whats the cheapest you can do it for?
    2. How reliable is it?
    3. How easy can you **** your engine whilst driving (i.e. racing someone etc.)
    4. Is it wearth it, will i have alot of improvement, would it kick vtir's etc.
    5. how long would it take if i had all parts and 2 guys who know alot about engines?
    6. Is it a straight bolt on?
    7. And anything else you guys would want to tell me.

Cheers guys, scott

Member Array
    Car:
    '11 WRX
    in a few words not worth it. Costs about the same as a b18c conversion if done properly

Quote Originally Posted by IZY-10 View Post
    in a few words not worth it. Costs about the same as a b18c conversion if done properly
    With the right combo it can be a good motor.

B18A displacement is bigger then a B18C. Yes it most likely cost about the same as a B18C but you will get more power from a B18A then a B18C thats from using the same internal parts. I was running a B18A + P72 head and making 116.3kw on the dyno. IMO LS/Vtec are a good motor to play around with.

1. Whats the cheapest you can do it for? Theres no cheap way around it
    2. How reliable is it? depends on the build
    3. How easy can you **** your engine whilst driving (i.e. racing someone etc.) That comes down to the build
    4. Is it wearth it, will i have alot of improvement, would it kick vtir's etc? it be a slight improvement over a B18C with same internals. Also comes down to Tuning and what other parts you use
    5. how long would it take if i had all parts and 2 guys who know alot about engines? should take a couple of days if you know what your doing
    6. Is it a straight bolt on? Head and block is a straight bolt on.. Just fidly with all the other things that is required to be done ie oil line
    7. And anything else you guys would want to tell me? More torque

Member Array
    Car:
    shooting star
    i'll be doing the ls b16/b18 soon when my tax money comes back =) i'll make a thread to teach the noobs about it later and rough cost of the whole build. ta da.

Member Array
    Car:
    DA6K20A CD5H23T
    Quote Originally Posted by Tu88y View Post
    With the right combo it can be a good motor.

B18A displacement is bigger then a B18C. Yes it most likely cost about the same as a B18C but you will get more power from a B18A then a B18C thats from using the same internal parts. I was running a B18A + P72 head and making 116.3kw on the dyno. IMO LS/Vtec are a good motor to play around with.

1. Whats the cheapest you can do it for? Theres no cheap way around it
    2. How reliable is it? depends on the build
    3. How easy can you **** your engine whilst driving (i.e. racing someone etc.) That comes down to the build
    4. Is it wearth it, will i have alot of improvement, would it kick vtir's etc? it be a slight improvement over a B18C with same internals. Also comes down to Tuning and what other parts you use
    5. how long would it take if i had all parts and 2 guys who know alot about engines? should take a couple of days if you know what your doing
    6. Is it a straight bolt on? Head and block is a straight bolt on.. Just fidly with all the other things that is required to be done ie oil line
    7. And anything else you guys would want to tell me? More torque
    How reliable is it? depends on the build
    Yeah, but it would suck to keep blowing headgaskets though

yeh well i dont think the b18a is that reliable i have broken everything accesories wise and also done a conrod bearing meaning i have another b18a and still have problems i think you would have to totally build the engine to make it reliable

Member Array
    Here you go mate...

http://www.c-speedracing.com/howto.php

There is some really good other info as well

Quote Originally Posted by prego View Post
    yeh well i dont think the b18a is that reliable i have broken everything accesories wise and also done a conrod bearing meaning i have another b18a and still have problems i think you would have to totally build the engine to make it reliable
    You're doing something wrong then. In terms of strength of parts, all the B-series are virtually identical. If you did a rod bearing, FIND OUT WHY!! Accessories != Engine.

If you go and slap a VTEC head on an LS block, you get the same low down torque as a B18C (i.e. none). The LS makes low down torque from the HEAD (small intake ports).

All an LSVTEC has over a B18C is 38cc i.e. 2% more torque all else equal. Takes lots of work to reliably rev the LS bottom to 8000.

Head requires you to block the oil port on the deck. You also need new dowel pins, and a B-series vtec head studs/bolts, and a new headgasket obviously.

It's an easy job, i've done it and there are no tricks. You just have to do it right (which I did but had block problems from the start) which leads me to...

It's not worth it in Australia, parts aren't cheap and abundant enough over here.

You can get a B16A half cut for jack all these days, buy one.
    Last edited by string; 24-05-2008 at 03:47 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra
    yeh i was thinkg about this abotu a week ago.

and to be honest i didnt think it was worth it compared to turbo.

as string said, this is not the USA, parts here are at least double the cost and so is labour. we dont have the after market support that they do to make things like this bang for buck.

LSVTEC would be pretty easy, but to get the most out of it you need to strengthen the bottom end and change pistons to raise the compression.

to do that you need to open up the motor and we know that costs a lot of money, so its not really worth it unless you are rebuilding or are loaded haha.

but the results if you do it right can be awesome as some people have said, you will definatleyt be beating B18c2's.

another thing you need to worry about is the gearbox. LS has a crappy long gearbox so to get the most out of an lsvtec you would want a short ratio gearbox ie b16 or itr or gsr. this cost an extra 1k ontop lol.

You won't be beating B18C's until you've basically created a B18C2. Don't bother basically.

A B20VTEC might be worth it as it's a cheap way of getting a high revving 2 litre. But even they are a rip-off.

Also you would need a Golden Eagle Vtec conversion kit.

http://shopping.lightningmotorsports...?productid=380

Member Array
    Car:
    porsche boxster
    Quote Originally Posted by string View Post
    You won't be beating B18C's until you've basically created a B18C2. Don't bother basically.
    Hmm I'm quite sure a lsvtec in a DA chassis would be faster than a dc2 vtir.
    Even my B18a on a closed private strip is pretty even with a dc2 vtir.
    But there are alot of variables of course.