Member Array
    Car:
    CL9 K24A3

Custom Airbox top lid

Hi guys,

Would like your thoughts on an idea in my head regarding the Comptech icebox.

With the increased tapered lid, this must mean that there is more air available, before you have to go through the inplace filter, and it's nearer to the throttle body, something which a CAI or SRI don't have.

I was thinking of modifying my exiting top lid to look more like the Comptech one. Can ayone send me some pics of the lid from all the sides and top? I have a friend that can fibre glass the top, but I am not sure how big to go.

Not sure if bigger is better?? He says that he could also do a carbon fibre lid, which would look good....still awaiting prices from him

Also, has anyone here heatshielded their existing OEM tube with something like the exhaust wrap and noticed any kw increases?

Thanks in advance.
    To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism; to steal from many is research. – Steven Wright

Member Array
    Car:
    06 Euro luxury manual
    Quote Originally Posted by Quest View Post
    Hi guys,

With the increased tapered lid, this must mean that there is more air available, before you have to go through the inplace filter, and it's nearer to the throttle body, something which a CAI or SRI don't have.

I was thinking of modifying my exiting top lid to look more like the Comptech one. Can ayone send me some pics of the lid from all the sides and top? I have a friend that can fibre glass the top, but I am not sure how big to go.

Not sure if bigger is better?? He says that he could also do a carbon fibre lid, which would look good....still awaiting prices from him

Also, has anyone here heatshielded their existing OEM tube with something like the exhaust wrap and noticed any kw increases?

Thanks in advance.
    IMO not worth doing.Just install comptech Icebox.It's cheap enough.

Member Array
    Car:
    CL9 K24A3
    New to importing from states, as this would be my first mod. Also, no-one sells this locally in South Africa

The only sites I have come across only ship locally in the states. How did you guys get them? From which reliable sites? Would prefer a site that handled all the shipping to me, but what are the alternatives?

Any advice/experiences would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by Quest; 28-05-2008 at 03:21 PM.
    To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism; to steal from many is research. – Steven Wright

Team YCD President Array
    Car:
    Honbaru Yum Cha
    www.tsxparts.com

Norm's the man to look for.. 80% of my parts are from him!
    Tell him Nick the Royal Jester recommended you and he'll take care of you....
    146.8Kws @ Wheels Diesel CL9 Euro (SOLD), 2009 Honda VT Shadow, NC PRHT Mazda MX-5, Boxing SG Forester, Honda Civic Sport
    RenaultSport RS265 Trophy+

Team Yum Cha Daily - The Dim Sum Revolution

OzHonda's Public Relations Guru

Member Array
    Car:
    06 Euro luxury manual
    I got my Icebox from here. http://www.heeltoeauto.com/product.p...at=1916&page=1
    good guy,nice and quick.

Member Array
    Car:
    ED Civic & 380GT
    Quote Originally Posted by Quest View Post
    Hi guys,

Also, has anyone here heatshieldd their existing OEM tube with something like the exhaust wrap and noticed any kw increases?

Thanks in advance.
    There is more to the Icebox than the lid - you will not have the bell horn or the foam filter. The price of the Icebox is so cheap you may as well just buy it.

Team YCD President Array
    Car:
    Honbaru Yum Cha
    I think all the trouble to fabricate a larger volume cover is too much trouble, order the icebox and you have a proven intake

P.S yfin, that looks like my hands....
    146.8Kws @ Wheels Diesel CL9 Euro (SOLD), 2009 Honda VT Shadow, NC PRHT Mazda MX-5, Boxing SG Forester, Honda Civic Sport
    RenaultSport RS265 Trophy+

Team Yum Cha Daily - The Dim Sum Revolution

OzHonda's Public Relations Guru

Member Array
    Car:
    Public Transport / Foot
    that looks HOT !!!!!! ive got one

Member Array
    Car:
    03 CL9 Euro
    Quote Originally Posted by EuroAccord13 View Post
    I think all the trouble to fabricate a larger volume cover is too much trouble, order the icebox and you have a proven intake

P.S yfin, that looks like my hands....
    HOT HANDS JOKING NICE PIPE I NEED ONE TOO.
    vTeK 4-Life!
    FOR SALE: CL9

Member Array
    Car:
    CL9 K24A3
    Hi guys,

Thanks for all your comments...I was in 2 minds about the mod....have subsequently abandonded it. Would have worked out to around R2000 (ZAR)....I can get a locally made ss exhaust with headers, dyno proven 14kw for R4000 (ZAR)....didn't make sense.

This is what I want to mod, looks a lot simpler...has anyone here done something like this? Was thinking to fabricate the short piece between the pipe and the airfilter out of fibreglass, but I am worried that as this is after the filter, if I muck up....got bigger problems.......I don't know how fibreglass will fair so close to the throttle body/engine....anyone got any ideas.

The reason I like this, is cos of the mini whale p_nis. Got the K&N already (RU-2520).
    Last edited by Quest; 31-05-2008 at 07:24 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    06 Euro luxury manual
    [QUOTE=Quest;1724834]Hi guys,

Thanks for all your comments...I was in 2 minds about the mod....have subsequently abandonded it. Would have worked out to around R2000 (ZAR)....I can get a locally made ss exhaust with headers, dyno proven 14kw for R4000 (ZAR)....didn't make sense.

This is what I want to mod, looks a lot simpler...has anyone here done something like this? Was thinking to fabricate the short piece between the pipe and the airfilter out of fibreglass, but I am worried that as this is after the filter, if I muck up....got bigger problems.......I don't know how fibreglass will fair so close to the throttle body/engine....anyone got any ideas.

The reason I like this, is cos of the mini whale p_nis. Got the K&N already (RU-2520).[/QUOTE
    Again sounds too much like hard work,just order the Icebox from the link i gave you and throw in a K&N filter.you'll be happy with the result.