Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Installing Tweeters

Hey Guys,

Im not very audio orientated but here is a quick background and question.

I have a very basic sound system (Kenwood HU and sony explod speakers) atm because someone broke into my car and stole my old alpine setup.

Anyways, im about to buy new door trims from an ozhonda member and they come with aftermarket tweeters. Not sure what brand.

Im not after a crazy setup, just after a better quality sounding system which wont cost me too much. To make this work, i understand that i need those splits but i dont know how much i should be spending, or where to buy them, and what i should be looking for? Is there anything else i need?

Help!.. Thanks

Member Array
    Car:
    lownslowsedan
    head over to www.mobileelectronics.com.au

australais biggest car audio forum

youll find everything you need over there, and wont get packed down with misleading info

basically, you need a budget.

if you arent after competition sound, then no need to spend 1.5k on a set of speakers.

but if you still want decent sound, dont bother wasting your money of a 50 buck set.

go for a mid priced set at about 150-200

but head over the that website i gave you

to see all of my build, checkout

If i said my budget was $100, where would be the best place to drop in over the weekend? Do retailers sell splits by themselves?

Im from newcastle.

Member Array
    Car:
    lownslowsedan
    ok, we need to get your terminology straight

splits are are package that have a midbass, a tweeter, and a crossover which divides the frequencies between the two.

they are called splits because the tweeter and the midbass are split from each other

a coaxial is where the tweeter is mounted in the middle of the cone of the midbass

now, are you after the whole set, or jsut the midbass?

keep in mind you will need a crossover as well, and these are developed to pair with specific midbass and midrange.

for 100 bucks youd be looking at low level kenwood/clarion/pioneer splits

you should be able to get them at most autobarn/strathfields
    to see all of my build, checkout

ok well i had no idea all this stuff existed. To make it mega easy, i'll post pics of what i have and you can hopefully tell me what i need.

Here is a photo of the front and back bit of the trim and tweeter:

So then my question is, what do i need to make these work or is it just bridging the wires to the front speakers?

Cheers

Member Array
    Car:
    doorstop
    If u dont want to spend much,have a good look at the Jaycar splits,great bang for buck,think ive seen em for around the $100 mark.

It will be hard to find a standalone midrange speaker & xover to suit that existing tweeter,unless u match up the brand name or get into building & tuning ur own xovers.

Just go the Jaycars & replace the tweeter with the one u get in the kit,u wont be disappointed.

So if i just get a new set of 'splits', will it just be the exact same size as the one in the door trims? (as in the tweeter)?

and i get new front speakers as well?

i rethought about everything and now have a slightly different question but along the same lines.

If i buy a set of splits, does it come with the tweeters, crossover (to connect my tweeters) and mid range speakers for the front? is that right?

and for about 200... can i get some nice quality ones?

Thanks

Member Array
    Car:
    EG, GV07
    Quote Originally Posted by jwai View Post
    i rethought about everything and now have a slightly different question but along the same lines.

If i buy a set of splits, does it come with the tweeters, crossover (to connect my tweeters) and mid range speakers for the front? is that right?

and for about 200... can i get some nice quality ones?

Thanks
    yeah it does come with everything uve said.
    do you have any brands in mind?
    Stock EG---Modified Driver
    TGSII

no idea...

Put it this way, my car is not a show car so i'm not lookin for anything crazy, just looking for a nice little boost in treble! $150 - $200 budget!??

Suggestions?

Member Array
    Car:
    hondaless
    try jl audio splits, got mine for 240 i think, great treble ! and bass if needed
    Winton PB - 1:34.90
    Phillip Island PB - 1:50.02

" Nothing beats spooning "

Member Array
    Car:
    doorstop
    Quote Originally Posted by jwai View Post
    no idea...

Put it this way, my car is not a show car so i'm not lookin for anything crazy, just looking for a nice little boost in treble! $150 - $200 budget!??

Suggestions?
    I already told ya,with that budget go down to Jaycar & see what they have,better then a lot of the name brands.Unless u absolutely have to have a pretty name tag on ur speakers.