Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast
    Newcomer Array
    Car:
    DC5 TypeR

Tein SS vs Tein Flex

Hey guys, i have a DC5R

been doing a little bit of research and have narrowed my suspension choice to either the Tein Super Street or the Tein Flex.

I just want to know the difference between these two coilovers and which one is recommended or is rated better?

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5 Type S 05
    tein flex is better than tein super street....and flex are more expensive for this reason.

flex has more damper adjustment increments,and you can adjust your height and spring rates seperately,as in changing one doesnt affect the other,whereas it does with the super streets
    CHEAPEST PRO DIY

Tein SS are too soft. I'm coming from a koni/neuspeed background, and i realise that drive on SS, they are soft and shite. and generally speaking are pretty hopeless imo.

however it is good for daily driving and comfort.

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Quote Originally Posted by teh_mechanic View Post
    tein flex is better than tein super street....and flex are more expensive for this reason.

flex has more damper adjustment increments,and you can adjust your height and spring rates seperately,as in changing one doesnt affect the other,whereas it does with the super streets
    Both Flex and SS have 16 levels of adjustment. You cannot adjust spring rates. If you want to alter the spring rate, you need to change the springs.

The difference is that Flex comes with an adjustable lower mount, teflon coated threads, higher spring rates and the upper pillowball mount.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Quote Originally Posted by aaronng View Post
    Both Flex and SS have 16 levels of adjustment. You cannot adjust spring rates. If you want to alter the spring rate, you need to change the springs.

The difference is that Flex comes with an adjustable lower mount, teflon coated threads, higher spring rates and the upper pillowball mount.
    Tein SSs have the upper pillowball mount aswel, well atleast mine did and i got them on tuesday

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Quote Originally Posted by SXC-84K View Post
    Tein SSs have the upper pillowball mount aswel, well atleast mine did and i got them on tuesday
    Certain models of SS might come with the upper mount. But for the majority of models, it is an optional extra which you have to pay for. Flex comes with the upper mount as standard.

Member Array
    Car:
    ED/EG5/EP3/JAZZ
    Quote Originally Posted by SiReal View Post
    Tein SS are too soft. I'm coming from a koni/neuspeed background, and i realise that drive on SS, they are soft and shite. and generally speaking are pretty hopeless imo.

however it is good for daily driving and comfort.
    I've got Tein SS and there hard as **** on the hardest damper setting...
    161.4KW ATW Tuned By TODA
    EG5 JDM B16A SiR-II TURBO

13.28@106.6mph 2.117 60ft On RE001

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5 Type S 05
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronng View Post

oh ok.i got pwned lol

im running DC2R flex's in my eg and they have 29 adjustment levels,overkill i know,but there are 29 increments.

i thought that the spring rate was being adjusted,im probably wrong,il explain my reasoning :
    -by loosening the lower collar you can twist the whole lower body and adjust the height.
    -by loosening the 2 higher perched collars (the locking collar and the collar that the spring sits on) you can use your c spanner to move the top collar up or down,shortening or lengthening the spring,would this be changing the spring rate,or is it adjusting something else.

any input is appreciated
    CHEAPEST PRO DIY

Member Array
    Car:
    porsche boxster
    oh ok.i got pwned lol

im running DC2R flex's in my eg and they have 29 adjustment levels,overkill i know,but there are 29 increments.

i thought that the spring rate was being adjusted,im probably wrong,il explain my reasoning :
    -by loosening the lower collar you can twist the whole lower body and adjust the height.
    -by loosening the 2 higher perched collars (the locking collar and the collar that the spring sits on) you can use your c spanner to move the top collar up or down,shortening or lengthening the spring,would this be changing the spring rate,or is it adjusting something else.

any input is appreciated
    Do you think by squeezing the spring tighter with the collars the spring rate increases?No
    You are just preloading the spring

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    oh ok.i got pwned lol

any input is appreciated
    You are meant to use only the first 15-16 clicks starting from full clockwise (stiffest). If you use 16-29 clicks, you risk damaging the damper. Says so in the installation manual.

Try measuring the length of the spring now, then adjust the height of the spring perch up or down by 2cm. Once you are done, measure the length of the spring again. It should be the same length as original.

Member Array
    Car:
    AWD Yum Cha Trolley
    technically speaking, you CAN adjust the spring rates on the flex.

issue is that there's no easy way to work out what you've adjusted them to with out doing a compression test.

Member Array
    Car:
    porsche boxster
    How do you adjust the rates? Just curious Technically speaking of course