Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Honda Integra Type R Problem!

Hey people,

Bought my car approximately 3 weeks ago, got an NRMA Inspection before I purchased the vehicle to make sure everything was in working order..

After owning it for the time period, I noticed smoke blowing out of the exhaust, I didnt think much of it.. just needed a service and new oil...

The car is burning a couple of litres of oil every week, which im topping up...

The mechanic I spoke to said "its ****ed"....the problem could be valve rings, oil rings...

The car still goes how its s'pose to go..

Can anyone help...OR offer suggestions

Member Array
    Car:
    porsche boxster
    Was it compression tested?
    Any visible oil on the engine or around it?
    Got a photo of the engine?

rear main leaking maybe? generally the rings dont go on our cars, thats generally tho.

Member Array
    Car:
    s15
    try another mechanic. Some mechs are just terrible and tell falsify everything.

No leaks anywhere near the engine nor on the floor of my garage... so No the car doesn't leak oil whatsoever.

Member Array
    Car:
    EK1 CXI
    a couple of liters a week?>??????????
    thats way too much..............take the car to a reputable mechanic who knows his hondas and get them to do a comp test and leak down test............

good luck

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Corolla G
    If its puffing smoke and burning litres of oil quickly I'd definately get it checked out asap.

Dont wanna stuff up your engine any more.

Quote Originally Posted by absolutR View Post
    rear main leaking maybe? generally the rings dont go on our cars, thats generally tho.
    Rear main leaking?

Make much sense?

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    180sx,R33 Gtst 4door
    you run it with no oil? my mates jdm r doing the same thing cause he ran the car with no oil...

Member Array
    Car:
    JDM EG4
    is it blowing smoke only after u sit at traffic lights for abit or is it doing it all the time. to be burning that much oil and not leaking anywhere it sounds like it could be the oil rings
    Do you have VTEC?

Member Array
    Car:
    560hp
    Quote Originally Posted by Chi View Post
    If its puffing smoke and burning litres of oil quickly I'd definately get it checked out asap.

Dont wanna stuff up your engine any more.

Rear main leaking?

Make much sense?
    yeah rear main seal.

yeah the car wasnt compression tested through the NRMA..

I got an bookin on saturday for an inspection...

what should i specifically ask the mechanic to check??

Member Array
    Car:
    Euro Lux
    Quote Originally Posted by absolutR View Post
    Completely Untrue, the B18C is notorious for oil ring failure (not compression ring). Pretty much the only reason why the B-series becomes thirsty for oil after 250,000kms.

Depending where you live, i can recommend a mechanic that rebuilt my engine for me and did a damn good job and was competetively priced.

Secondly, as mentioned earlier if the car is blowing smoke while accelerating then most likely it is your piston rings (oil and/or compression). If its only blowing smoke after sitting in your garage or sitting at traffic lights it is most likely your valve stem seals.

Although 2 litres a week is most likely rings, not seals. Obviously the smoke the car is producing is blue not black?

A compression test will more than likely not tell you anything that is completely conclusive. If your oil rings are gone, the compression / power production will be very close to what is expected, if its compression rings your car will be loosing alot of power and run sluggish.

Oil rings are a common problem in the B-Series engine. In my opinion it sounds like your oil rings are gone in two or more cylinders.

Something that you can do for now is inspect your spark plugs and check if they're fouled, or very black. (The spark point will be covered with sludge and be a dark black colour if your oil rings are gone).

To give you an idea of cost if it goes either way....Around $400-600 if its valve stem seals including labour(very cheap if your mechanically competent)....and about $3000 mark for a rebuild (mine was for a VTi-R) included pistons compression/oil rings, teflon or coating of somesort to internals ( i forget exactly what it was), machined head/flywheel, 3 Angle Valve Job, OEM Gasket kit including head gasket, IM gasket, exhaust gasket etc...... and they will be able to tell you alot about your engine and what condition everything else is in.

Goodluck.

Regards,
    Andrew
    >> Now Known as "Phased"