Member Array
    Car:
    EG5 Hatch - B16A

Kaaz LSD and gearbox oil

Before anyone gets started on me I know this has been discussed a little previously just wanted some opinions.

Well... over the long weekend I did a swap out B16A out of an EG6 into an EG5. It had a really nice set of 5 Zigen extractors on it and I noticed the gearbox had been pulled appart and resealed. At this point knowing what the japanese are like with cars I thought maybe someone has spent the time and money to put an LSD in

As you do after a swap I went out and got all the fluids and deciding not to skimp, so Royal Purple engine oil and Penrite SIN Gear Oil 75 fully synthetic gearbox oil that said it is suitable for LSD's and already contains a friction modifier for LSD's... http://www.penriteoil.com.au/pis_pdf...20Oil%2075.pdf just incase someone had put an LSD in...

So... under the car last night draining the gearbox oil and I come across a sticker on the very bottom of the gearbox??? Grabbed a rag, wiped it of and sure enough "KAAZ LSD" So put the new oil in and topped up the other fluids. Then went inside to find out more about KAAZ on the net.

I then find out Kaaz's website specifically says DO NOT USE SYNTHETIC BASE OIL. Kaaz LSD may not function smoothly.... Hmmm???

To change or not to change the oil...
    Is this going to harm the clutch plates in the diff?
    Is it worth trying it to see how the diff reacts to this specific oil?

My first inclination is just to change the oil and be done with it... has anyone else used a synthetic oil without knowing and if you did how did the diff perform?

I know Kaaz has their own oil, what other oils are people currently using with their Kaaz diff?

Member Array
    Car:
    dc2 & da9
    I'm not sure about kaaz but I've used synthetic oils with my ATS LSD no problems.
    If anything I feel that it performed better with the synthetic oils. The initial bite on the LSD came earlier and it pulled much tighter.

Imo, just find an LSD oil that that is suitable for your gearbox and reduces that awlful chatter/knock. Unless of course you dont mind the chatter or it's a weekend/track baised car.

Be weary though, ive had some bad experiences with some oils. One in particular but I won't name them here (pm me if youre curious) to avoid defaming them.

One of the good oils (very good actually) I've tried is mutol FF. It tones down the clutch chadder considerably, gear shifts are slick as ever, diff still performs very well and is good on syncro wear. The only fault I have found with this oil is that it's a little bit crunchy while it's warming up.

Other oils I've herd good things about are cusco and kaaz differential oils but I'm not sure how they are on syncro wear.

My advice is find a good and reputable oil that performs well and that you're happy with and use that. Make sure you keep to the servicing schedule (every 10 000 km oil change) and you should be good for a few years before you have to rebuild anything.
    Last edited by taman; 29-04-2009 at 12:19 PM.

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Edit: Just saw that it is a clutch type. I'd use a transmission fluid that is specially for use with that type of LSD.
    Last edited by aaronng; 29-04-2009 at 12:20 PM.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Member Array
    Car:
    JDM EG Built B16a2 Turbo
    Sorry to slightly hijack....i just got a MFactory LSD and installed it last weekend into my b16a2 box. what is the best oil to fill this up with?
    Fastfwd Photoshoot cover pic Click here!

Member Array
    Car:
    dc2 & da9
    Quote Originally Posted by FastFwd View Post
    Sorry to slightly hijack....i just got a MFactory LSD and installed it last weekend into my b16a2 box. what is the best oil to fill this up with?
    Honda MTF - M-factory LSD is a torsen type. i.e no special servicing or oils needed.

heheh i just swapped my clutch type LSD out for an m-factory one.

Couldn't take the chatter and knocking no more (daily driver).

however if it was a track car id rock the clutch type any day.
    the performance from the clutch LSD's are in a class of their own (track wise).

Member Array
    Car:
    JDM EG Built B16a2 Turbo
    I've only heard good things about Mfactory LSD's so im excited a little. Atm before the LSD i had a really sticky gearbox and i've been told that changing to a better oil might help is this true? But ive also been told only to use Honda oil as thats usually the best

My box has been sticky for over 2 years and it was ever since some nub garage installed a short shifter. clutch and flywheel in it when i was doing my b16a2 conversion. Im doing the a new rebuild atm and ive bought a new fidanza 3.8kg flywheel and exedy racing series clutch so if its no those two things im sure its either oil or my short shifter.

Member Array
    Car:
    delsol crx
    My bet is its your short shifter! The previous owner of my car installed one and it sucks shifting compared to a normal shifter and linkages.... Its very hard and stiff

Member Array
    Car:
    JDM EG Built B16a2 Turbo
    Yeh im going to have to remove it and get an oem one.

I'm using Motul FF LSD Type II Gearbox Oil with my Cusco 1.5 way Type-RS LSD works a treat. It only shudders on really slow, close to full lock, turns.

IS Motor Racing in Rockdale (Sydney) have this gearbox oil in stock.

Member Array
    Car:
    Land Barge
    Better stick with KAAZ oils for their diffs.
    As with some other clutch type diffs, the don't like a fully synthetic oil. Causes them to slip apparently.

Option 1 stock KAAZ oil....it aint cheap.
    Econo Box pimping ain't easy.

I am using the Kaaz oil for my 'kaaz LSD' we tryed with a different oil, but was far to noisy. changed to the kaaz oil and mad it a lot better still noisy but not as bad.
    WINTON PB: 1:36.30
    WAKEFIELD PB: 1:07.59
    Supported by: Hybrid Racing + Hardrace Australia
    MSC Performance FTW