Member Array
    Car:
    CZ4A,EG-K,PP-K

Turbo Advice on F n H series honda

QUOTED FROM JDMuniverse.com
    http://www.jdmuniverse.com/forums/sh....php?p=1248081

you have to look at each motor individually. The Fseries is an excellent motor to boost, if it's in great shape. the older F22A- series have decent bottom ends, but the heads can't flow worth a damn. all the 90-97 F22 series have cast iron sleeves, and are wonderful for 10psi daily, 20psi on track days (with the proper fuel setup, of course). the 98-on F22s have sucky piston ringlands, and fail under almost any boost. the 94-97 F22B1 and B2 are virtually the best SOHC motors to boost. The B1 VTEC has the best flowing head available, and the cam is very good, even with the VTEC profile.

The stock fuel setup is damn near worthless for boost, except the fact that Accords and Preludes use low-impedence fuel injectors, which makes DSM 450cc and 550cc injectors a direct swap, but please consider the use of a chipped ECU and the proper fuel maps.

The Hseries is kinda wierd. There is mainly the H22 and H23. The H23 is a predominantly torque motor, due to the long stroke of the F22B SOHC crank, but it is capable of alot of turbo HP, with the right setup. The HP weakness of the motor is the head. Flows like a constipated parrakeet, has weak valvesprings, and cams that suck at high RPM. I think H23s use the crappy FRP sleeves, like 1994+ H22s, but I'm not sure. This means, that if the sleeves are made of this weak sauce FRP material, you cannot use aftermarket pistons, with the exception of a few. The piston skirts of most aftermarket pistons eat the material for breakfast, but I'm not 100% certain that H23s use this type of sleeve. it may be iron, like F22series, which are perfectly happy with any piston w/ a good set of rings (preferably OEM Honda).

The H22A is my weapon of choice. Most H22s use the crappy FRP sleeves, but the first H22s had the miraculous iron sleeves, which are alot stronger, and very piston friendly. They were only made in J-spec 1992 and 1993 Prelude VTECs, so get to searching. H22s are excellent motors, all around. not 10,000rpm monsters, but very happy until 8,000. Mine actually dies off, after 7700. almost takes a nosedive on the dyno. But don't let this scare you. They have gobs of torque all over the powerband.

Turboed, most H22s are a beast. most stock block H22s run 7psi daily, and 10-14 on track days, fuel setup allowing. expect mid300whp, properly tuned on stock block easily.

Hope it helps some of the guys here giving rough idea to plan the setup.
    Unicorn: K20R Honda Beat PP1
    BTMotorsports
    JDM Auto Link - Your source for new and pre-owned JDM parts

Member Array
    Car:
    GS300 / Liberty
    that info was much appreciated!
    1998 BB6 PRELUDE <--- sold
    2000 blk em1 <--- sold

Member Array
    Car:
    FD2 N/A what?
    Really good info! Thanks!
    Last edited by xenonkuraz; 02-06-2008 at 01:41 PM.