Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    EK1 CXI

B18C7 turbo.....dont use AVO.....read on....

hey guys.............

some issues i encountered while boosting my dc2r using avo stage 2 turbo kit...............

once it was all installed and ready for tune, i drove it to the workshop, had the injectors installed and ecu and onto the dyno she went..............

3 hours of tuning went buy and we had sorted out the low cam, with boost (8psi) the car made a healthy 145kw at 5000rpm..........

so next was for VTEC and boost...............

we found that once the car was on vtec and at around 6500rpm onwards it was making a wierd ticking noise from the head.....................so we stopped tuning, we couldnt figure out what it was and why, after another 2 hours of playing with the fuel and timing map......(we pulled timing out and gave it more fuel same sh#t)................the car eventually made 180kw at 7000rpm.............(we thought it was a spark issue)

so i was cruzing the car around for a week or so (to work and back, keeping it under 4000rpm) and decided to change a few things...............new dizzy cap, rotor button, spark plugs, new leads..........new vtec solenoid filter and fresh oil and filter............

so back for tuning and hopefully make some power..............

back on the dyno and a more precise map of tuning and away we went........same sh#t.................so i left the car there for them to figure it out.................

next day, the tuner and mechanics had a look at the car and discovered that:
    it seemed as though on 8psi once the car got into the vtec range with only 20degrees timing and the correct fuel map, the car detonates its head off.................
    the guys at the shop decided to trial and error........
    so...............
    by disconnecting the internal wastgate sirclip (that holds the flap closed unless the gate is opened by boost pressure) they gave it a run with the flap being held open fully...............the car managed to make a max of 2psi but no detonation at all............
    then they gave the car 28degrees timing or so re-did the fuel map, and it again managed 2psi and made a healthy 170kw or so @ 7000rpm with everything going right...........

so the conclusion we have come to............
    it seems as though the turbo's rear housing (garrett t28 roller with 0.86 rear exhaust housing) is too small, and is creating too much back pressure as it has a tiny rear exhaust wheel (not enough flow), which causes the exhaust fumes back into the head, which causes the detonation

now please dont get me wrong..........
    im NOT slagging on AVO, as the guys there are great and helpfull........just giving you guys some info and a heads up if you own a b18c7..........and want to use AVO's turbo kit

from here, we are now presently about to strip the turbo and get a new bigger rear exhaust wheel put into it (high flow exhaust housing) and put it back together and see what happenes...............

i'll keep you posted.........

if anyone has any questions about the kit or anything related i will do my best to answer to the best of my knowledge/experience, otherwise i will not answer at all.

cheers
    Tom
    Last edited by IEVAQ8; 31-05-2008 at 01:35 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    CZ4A,EG-K,PP-K
    wow! how much money u spent on the DYNO!! just to do that.. OMFG !! it could get you a new gt2835 or something !! ...

good luck with the tune mate.. i heart ur pain...
    Unicorn: K20R Honda Beat PP1
    BTMotorsports
    JDM Auto Link - Your source for new and pre-owned JDM parts

Member Array
    Car:
    hondas suck <3
    thats a great story..hope works out 4 u

Ozhonda Supporter Array
    Car:
    MV Agusta F4
    Yeh, man, not good. Hope you get it sorted soon.

Good flowing manifold, large rear housing and external wastegate FTW!

I had a Stage II Avo kit on my B16A2 Delsol. Very fun car to drive and had no problems whatsoever.
    Deano.

Member Array
    Car:
    EK1 CXI
    Quote Originally Posted by 040501912 View Post
    wow! how much money u spent on the DYNO!! just to do that.. OMFG !! it could get you a new gt2835 or something !! ...

good luck with the tune mate.. i heart ur pain...
    lucky the tuner is a great guy and only charged me for the original tune and the rest of it free

Quote Originally Posted by cracker View Post
    thats a great story..hope works out 4 u
    thanks mate, so do i

Quote Originally Posted by DLO01 View Post
    Yeh, man, not good. Hope you get it sorted soon.

Good flowing manifold, large rear housing and external wastegate FTW!

I had a Stage II Avo kit on my B16A2 Delsol. Very fun car to drive and had no problems whatsoever.
    thanks deanno........the manifold is flowing well..........the exhaust is good too.......it must be too much exhaust back pressure in the rear housing with vtec..........will sort it out soon.............i should have done it the tuners way first time around..............but hey trial and error

Member Array
    Car:
    ED/EG5/EP3/JAZZ
    Dang

I was under the impression the Avo kits were designed motor specific hence the reason you pay the big bucks...

Your lucky your tuner new what he was going or it could have f**ked so much shit up lol
    161.4KW ATW Tuned By TODA
    EG5 JDM B16A SiR-II TURBO

13.28@106.6mph 2.117 60ft On RE001

Member Array
    Car:
    EK1 CXI
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukezen27 View Post
    Dang

I was under the impression the Avo kits were designed motor specific hence the reason you pay the big bucks...

Your lucky your tuner new what he was going or it could have f**ked so much shit up lol
    they do quote that it is suitable for the type r integra, however, they have only done all there testing and tuning on b16a............so obviously the 2 motors have differences hence the problems.............

its not that expensive..............for the kit...............i bought everything from them, except injectors and ecu

Member Array
    Car:
    ED/EG5/EP3/JAZZ
    Quote Originally Posted by IEVAQ8 View Post
    they do quote that it is suitable for the type r integra, however, they have only done all there testing and tuning on b16a............so obviously the 2 motors have differences hence the problems.............

its not that expensive..............for the kit...............i bought everything from them, except injectors and ecu
    I see

How long till your up and running?

Should be some fun once roll'n
    161.4KW ATW Tuned By TODA
    EG5 JDM B16A SiR-II TURBO

13.28@106.6mph 2.117 60ft On RE001

Member Array
    Car:
    560hp
    odd, i know a person with a b18c7 with a avo stage 2 kit.
    and had no problems whatsoever.
    his one ran perfectly fine on 8psi.

Member Array
    Car:
    ( . )_( . )
    Tom, look into getting an ATP.com gt28rs with .82 rear housing and t3 flanged (this is the turbo im looking at getting for my build soon to run off a ramhorn and 44mm tial gate, hopefully i can squeeze in a full sized radiator some how and have 330-350hp atw)

These atp versions of the gt28rs is t3 based, .82 so it will flow considerably more than the normal variations of the gt28rs turbos i think there about 1100ish in the states (USD) i reckon you could pick up for 13-1400 shipped if you work around customs duties...

What turbo has James recommended you to step up to?

good luck and keep us posted!

Ozhonda Supporter Array
    Car:
    MV Agusta F4
    Are you using the OLD type Avo kit?

The new kits like I had on my delsol where a GT28R T3 internal WG.
    Deano.

Member Array
    Car:
    Jazz EVO IX
    i've seen a few of the kits, the dump pipe is really close and sharp but never heard anyone having the same issue as you did
    Evo IX - THE FINAL EVOLUTION