Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

secondary battery vs capacitor

okay, so i have a fairly high powered setup (JVC Exad head unit, a cheapo ebay 7" pull out screen, RF T162C 6.5", T1693C 6"x9"s and a RF T40001bd amp (huge i know) and i am within the next few weeks installing a RF T215D4 15" Sub with a RF T10001bd amp.) also considering getting a second sub the same.

now my question is if im getting a second battery installed is there any point in me getting capacitor?

any help will be much appreciated.

I've always read that a capacitor is only a band aid solution for a lower then capable alternator/battery combination. This is because the battery has to charge the capicitor as well as what is has to do normally. Only thing a capacitor is going to do is minimize the voltage/current drop when large bass notes are hit.

the best solution for lack of power would be installing a secondary battery.

Member Array
    Car:
    04 euro
    best to grab a better battery, capacitor is for the bling factor

Member Array
    Car:
    2003 JAZZ
    i got a similar problem.

im going to head to the secondary battery option. but the thing you have to consider first is your alternator. because when the motor is running that is what will be powering you system. if it cannot power your system then it will draw from the battery. if it draws too much from the battery you will run it dead and the next time you go to start your car. nothing will happen lol..

so before you rush out and buy a thousand batteries and a million caps, consider the alternator aswell.

for a system like that both a second battery and cap would also be an option especially if your spending that much $ on components

Get a bigger alternator first... gives you better juice when the engine is running

Member Array
    Car:
    EVO
    upgrade the alt, batt & wiring first. THEN maybe get a cap.. i wouldnt tho.

Member Array
    Car:
    94 CD5 04 600RR
    Quote Originally Posted by notorious_shugg View Post
    now my question is if im getting a second battery installed is there any point in me getting capacitor?

any help will be much appreciated.
    Will the alternator be able to cope keeping 2 batteries topped up? rule of thumb i've always went by is 1 farad cap per 1000wrms, or you can go visit www.bcae1.com and do some research on your question...
    Albert Einstein Two things are infinite: the universe & human stupidity; I'm not sure about the universe.

Put your location in your profile, makes referring help easier!

cheers for all the help guys, greatly appreciated. got some good info and will post up which route i go wen i decide. oh and some photos too haha.

Member Array
    Car:
    EG Civic
    one thing to remember is that a cap will charge almost instantly while you can have a second battery that will take a VERY long time to charge, a cap is not a band aid solution, not by far nor is it "bling factor". If you run normal hip hop/ R&B or music with deep long tones then a cap is great because it keeps a current reserve for when it is needed most on bass hits then will charge again then amp will use the reserve then charge and so on and so forth, A second high capacity battery doesnt have the fast/instant charge capability of a cap so then it will be great for the first song or two then it will run dry and take many many minutes to charge again, second high capacity batterys are best for most spl competitions where a "burp tone" is run and a cap wont be able to keep up with a constant or semi-constant tone ranging from 3-30 seconds, Also the system is run with the car off and each turn goes for 30 seconds and in this the battery will more than likely run near dry anyway this may not be your case just thought i would cover it.

Just wanted to ask one question before i finish this write-up, are you sure you have written the correct amp models? T40001bd amp (mono) and getting T10001bd amp (mono) What are you running your speakers off the deck!
    = First Production Company To Produce 100HP Per Litre NA

Member Array
    Car:
    EG Si Hatchie
    a good battery, alt and cabling can keep up with demands of music. good quality gear have small caps built into them for 'transient peaks' and is all that is needed. as said before caps are a baind aid solution. big bass hits = increased need for high ga. cable.

get yourself a good deep cycle battery that can charge and discharge many times faster than a conventional battery.
    Is this the end of my car modding days? Buying a house says so...

Member Array
    Car:
    civic coupe
    you're not going to need 2 batteries... provided that you have a good dry cell battery in the engine bay (like a soundstream or optima), good zero gauge wiring and a capacitor in the boot... and providing your alternator is good...

secondary batteries are for BIG stereos... with not just powerful subs like yours but also with an extra bunch of speakers and a bunch of screens...

ps... the amp you are looking at or have.. RF recomends you get a large capaicitor also... (taken of their website)

Member Array
    Car:
    EG Si Hatchie
    extra battery is for a fridge in 4wds
    Is this the end of my car modding days? Buying a house says so...