Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Winner! Array
    Car:
    dc2

sound quality for n00bs

hey.

atm, wanting to get a new system.

i know what crap gear sounds like, compared to gear that is better. i also know that lotsa different gear sound different to eachother. but if im standing in front of those displays at the shops, all i can hear is the difference, but i cant hear "which is better".

in terms of quality of sound in a sub, where does the difference lie? i havent heard many subs. they all produce low notes. i havent heard many, so i cant say one is more clear than the other or however one would distinguish subs and the sound they produce.

so i guess my question is, what should i be looking at? a $500 boston pro 10" sub, a $400 10" jlw3v2? or a $150 clarion 10" sub? will i be able to tell the sound qaulity difference and appreciate it?

is it only in the tuning that the difference in quality can be properly heard?

worried that spending lots of money on good quality sound system will be negligable to my ears.

regards.

fried.
    when do we hit vtec?

Needs more time... Array
    Blog Entries
    gOTO a place that has the brands that are in your budget and compare each of them to each other
    Got a question? Check out the FAQ - http://www.ozhonda.com/go/faq

Member Array
    Car:
    Prelude Type S
    thats hard to say really... basically just have to go to a store n listens all the ones on display... ask for a demo within your price range... im sure they are willing to help you out.. that how i got mine.. listen and compare... i end up gettin the top of the range pioneer sub 12"... it sounds great to me... LifeStyle are friendly enough

Member Array
    Car:
    baron
    Better yet go to a place thats way out of your budget get an idea of what it sounds like, then listen to the other crap and you'll have no choice but to buy the good gear :P haha nah seriously if your into sound quality and are on a budget most places are pretty good and top end brands like to offload their gear at the end of each year so its an oportunity to buy some $1200-$1500 amps etc for $600. Or $400 subs for $500 for a pair.

But the key to an amped set up is in the HU, dont scrimp on that you want good pre-out volts. Mines only 5V but its still a lot better sounding than most other set ups I've heard. My amp and subs arn't the greatest things but still pumping 250RMS through my subs (142db) and my splits are at 65ishRMS... more than enough for me considering i never listen to it full on.

Member Array
    Car:
    baron
    Oh yeah if you go to a pro stereo style place they usually have in car set ups around, some places will have several cars, not to mention their own cars which are usually middle of the road set ups.

Winner! Array
    Car:
    dc2
    lol well pds in hornsby sucks.....

umm the other audio place in hornsby also sucks... stage co....

nothing much for me to listen to. dunno where else to go.

dont want pioneer, so straths and motoquip and autojoy, all those cheapies are out of the question.

guess lifestyle and jbs possibly?
    when do we hit vtec?

Member Array
    Car:
    93 Honda Prelude Si
    SIKCVC is right...if you want your subs to sound good, you need a good HU and amps...also make sure you get a amp that can run the sub, and dont trust what they say on the boxes...cause most of the times boxes are off.

I know alpine and rockford amps say their ratings are below what they are..if they say they are a 1000W RMS amp, its probably a 1090W RMS.

A good sound sub, is one that wont destort when turned up, also one that is tuned right, and one that is running at the right Watts and Voltage...also with a decent headunit

Member Array
    Car:
    S15
    I run focal splits, with a boston pro 12" sub with a RF amp and Cadence amp. Sounds pretty good, am giving the splits around 100 rms, and the sub around 500 rms. Im quite happy.

Random Array
    Car:
    VW Caddy
    More than anything you have to go around yourself and experience whatever you can. You will start to get an idea of what sounds good to you and what doesn't. Be sure to have your own cd to go around with.

One thing to be aware of is that each place is going to have a different amp and deck setup to demo the equipement so it's quite hard to get an accurate result between different shops. Then remember it's going to sound different again in your own car. If your lucky some places will even let you audition them in your ride. Also don't forget about what sort of box it's in as well. If you've got a poorly built box and not the correct size then your going to have a problem with poor performance.

It's all about your ears. And weather or not you like deep deep bass or nice punchy bass. Just remember your system will only be as strong as your weakest component as the guys have said above.

Needs more time... Array
    Blog Entries
    With car audio.......price is usually a good guide. Eric, i've told you everything I have to say on this.....good luck!
    Got a question? Check out the FAQ - http://www.ozhonda.com/go/faq

Winner! Array
    Car:
    dc2
    Quote Originally Posted by wynode
    With car audio.......price is usually a good guide. Eric, i've told you everything I have to say on this.....good luck!
    yeah but as ive said above..... what is the difference... like will the quality be negligable in my case.

like a price difference of 300-400 vs the difference in sound quality
    when do we hit vtec?

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2R
    I know that this mayb not da best advice...

Check up Hot4's/audio mags and see da comparisons as a guide, as some may not want to go wit da tested size subs and enclosure volume and style(ported/sealed etc..)

spend good money on the amps ! Good quality can be heard through da money that u spend on amps!!

good tuning can be done by tuning a ported enclosure aswell as option...
    TEAMDaiGah
    REDSUN Performance: 98970889