Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    porsche boxster
    Blipping is useless imo.
    Better off holding at a certain rpm,then flooring it after launch at which time the rpm will help spool up.

Member Array
    Car:
    1985 ford laser
    Hey luke. On a further note. This isnt really on topic, if you ever think about going hondata. Few good things for boosted cars.

Anti-lag & Launch controll = Launch controll drops down your rev limiter to your desired level for launch only so you can hold your car at Wide open throttle bounceing off your launch rev limiter. This combined with Anti lag... you will actually see boost pressure build up on your boost gauge while your car is revving. This means launch on full boost, not haveing to build it up after you leave the line.

Also "Flat shift" is something i would find quite handy. This being able to change gears without removeing your foot from the accelerator. This also means you wont loose full boost pressure after every time you change gears. 10psi all the way from when you launch untill you cross the line.

But a few things i felt have worked well for me.

*Front tyres to 20psi Rears to 40psi
    *Basic weight reduction (everything counts) tools, spair wheel etc
    *Dont worry about launching as soon as it goes green. Wait for your apponent to leave and and go a few sec down the track. Then concentrate on your launch. Dont worry your time will start from when you actually leave the line.
    *Front Suspension soft as possible + Rear Suspension Hard as possible
    *Dont just hold the revs at a constant level and dump the clutch. Fast Sharp agressive stabs of the throttle and then launch close to redline at Wide open throttle. If you start wheel spinning to much then just back off the RPM when you launch
    *Know where you rev cut is, dont bounce off it with gear changes.
    *Dont be afraid to push your car to its limits or be rough on the gear box.
    Light up with Lyle - Electrical / Communications / Instrumentation

Member Array
    Car:
    porsche boxster
    Full boost launches might not be ideal for front wheel drives though unless running drag slicks.

Member Array
    Car:
    94 EG, 11 Maloo
    Quote Originally Posted by Sexc86 View Post
    Also "Flat shift" is something i would find quite handy. This being able to change gears without removeing your foot from the accelerator. This also means you wont loose full boost pressure after every time you change gears. 10psi all the way from when you launch untill you cross the line.
    yes i agree with you lyle and thanks for the post, what i am interested to know is when flat shifting in turbo'd cars, would this cause any engine damage etc as the motor will be revving alot faster and is under boost? id like to know if the extra revving would put a turbod honda motor under alot more stress then an NA motor? if that makes sence? lol
    Power Of Dreams...
    VTECN

Member Array
    Car:
    porsche boxster
    Have you ever owned a fwd turbo car Claymore?

Member Array
    Car:
    1985 ford laser
    Claymore, yes i know we have had this discussion before. I do see the points you are makeing and i do see that they have merit. However you would also know that some people are more serious about drag raceing the others.

eg
    * Some may just like to race to beat their own personal best times. In which case it is irellevant about launching Right on green.
    * While others are more serious and focused on Dial-in-time raceing, where IMO its more about driving skill and power delivery and your launches.

Some people see winning as beating their apponent and others see it as beating their PB (personal best)

As this thred is titled
    "First Time 1/4 Mile with a Turbo Charged D-series Hints"

IMO thats my best advice for luke as a first timer, and should he want to get more serious with it later on he may want to change his drag raceing goals.

Also on a further note, im not sure about what would be the best in theory behind launching Turbo cars. But all i can say in my experience is that agressively revving the car right before launch made my car actually leave the line more "on boost", compared to holding the revs at a high steady level and then just dropping the clutch. And yes i have tried both. But as i said only on my experience.
    Last edited by Sexc86; 09-06-2008 at 05:11 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    EURO LUX
    u should be familiar with your car and setup by now
    just drive as usual and adjust to suit the track
    as your confidence builds you will know what suits best
    as with normal reduce weight and tyre pressures

and NO 1 rule have FUN
    dont worry if u make mistakes

Member Array
    Car:
    1985 ford laser
    Quote Originally Posted by claymore View Post
    That is why he SHOULD START OUT DOING IT THE CORRECT WAY. It's much easier to learn the correct way first than it is to UNLEARN BAD HABITS.

You can still go for PBs leaving on yellow so why not start out doing things the best way as driving skills increase with practice but your techniques are with you always.

You mean to tell me you can't watch the lights and drive at the same time why all the concern about your launch and how would watching the lights matter to your launch I mean you are watching them EITHER WAY so why not PRACTICE EVERY CHANCE YOU GET?

Im saying that there are usually outside factors that affect your ability to concentrate. And concentration is usually a pretty big thing in getting a good launch. Factors like another car next to you makeing ALOT of noise.. effecting your ability to hear and feel your car, also feeling rushed to leave at a exact specific time (green light).

you take away those 2 factors... and you have more concentration to get a better launch. IMO after you get more experience you ability to mentally block out those external factors get better... and then you have the ability to get more serious about it.

my opinion only dude.
    Last edited by Sexc86; 09-06-2008 at 11:25 PM.

ffs claymore.
    we speak of this kids first time at the track. You do NOT have to go when the light turns green...so you remove the main stress of the track and then you let yourself concentrate on the launch + run itself. Dont hit me with the time wasted if everyone did the same...its perfectly OK to take 1 or 2 seconds more ( like i do at the drag races) and launch properly. Its not unlearning its learning how to drive at the drag strip. Once you are accomplished , then by all means go for the hard launch at the sign of the light

Member Array
    Car:
    Crew for Hi-Comp Civic
    I noticed that Lyle said to make the front suspension soft and rear hard. That is half right. Yes you want the rear hard but you also want the front hard, but not as hard as the back. If it is soft the front will lift when accelerating thus transferring some of the weight off the front tyres meaning less traction. Make the rear as hard as you can and the front about 1/2-3/4 of that.

Also, if you can, make the rear higher than the front. It helps with reducing the weight transfer to the back.

You know you want too... Array
    Car:
    DC2R + VT750c2
    Grand Nationals kick ass!

but yeh, take your time and get it right, its like trying to bang a chick for the first time, you got you **** out, a rubber in one hand, lube in the other and you dont know whether to put it in the date looking hole or the long pink gash underneath.... you could try and do it all at once but you **** it up and end up with lube in your hair and a rubber on your big toe

take your time... learn how your car is going to respond in those conditions... then when you leanr how to put a rubber on your **** and where to put it... dive it and go for gold...

Member Array
    Car:
    1985 ford laser
    AHHAHAHAAH OMG... ^ that diserves a rep point. Not much stuff on the net makes me laugh out aloud.