Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: camgear = power

Member Array
    Car:
    jspec civic 1992

camgear = power

Hi ppl,

i have got aftermaket camgears on my b16b, can they be adj and improve power even though i got have aftermarket camshaft?

thanks

Member Array
    Car:
    380GT,XTrailSTR
    do you mean "HAVEN'T" got aftermarket camshafts?

yes there are power benefits depending on how much overlap you can run and where in the powerband you want it set...

best left to a "performance orientated" mechanic... as setting these wrong can be catastrophic.

***EDIT***
    i was actually just researching cam gear dial settings on the net and here is an interesting comment from skunk2 i highly agree with:
    http://www.skunk2.com/cgi-bin/kb.cgi...%E2%8C%A9=

Quote Originally Posted by skunk2
    Our camshafts are aftermarket performance camshafts and can NOT be set in like factory camshafts. They must be degreed in for optimal results. Page 21 of our catalog, which can be downloaded under "News and Events" on our website, gives an overview on how to degree in a camshaft. We do not recommend using the cam gears to dial in our camshafts. In some cases we have "Quick Settings" using our cam gears that can set the camshaft close to a degreed-in setting. Using this method, however, will release Skunk2 of liability if something were to go wrong such as engine failure because degreeing-in the camshaft is really the only way we engineered the product to be installed. We recommend that professional mechanics familiar with "performance tuning" of the specific vehicle in question install the camshafts. Many mechanics are experienced professionals but the camshafts that we offer deal with much newer technology than what most seasoned mechanics are used to.

like i said in another thread and most will agree, i refuse to take my car to your everyday mechanics when i know theory/consequences far more than most of them despite their years of experience with (dis)assembly exceeding my own... there are however outstanding examples and you would normally trust them as you've dealt with them before and understand the level of their expertise.
    Last edited by dsp26; 10-06-2008 at 12:55 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow96GSR
    If 1 person has had bad luck with a product don’t condemn it until you yourself have tested it. Now if 10 pros have tried it and it sucked then I would trust their opinion.

Member Array
    Car:
    EM1
    great find!!
    some dam helpful info in there
    FOR SALE: Injector seal kits || Dayco B16A timing belt

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic B16A
    Hardly saw anyone can dail a cam at all...if u find one, pls tell me...but not those "who use dyno and dail (retard or advance) a degree at a time"...

Member Array
    Car:
    Crew for Hi-Comp Civic
    I know someone.

And I know someone who can't.

Member Array
    Car:
    380GT,XTrailSTR
    Quote Originally Posted by grumpy rooster View Post
    I know someone.

I wanna know too... does this person happen to be in Minchinbury?
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow96GSR
    If 1 person has had bad luck with a product don’t condemn it until you yourself have tested it. Now if 10 pros have tried it and it sucked then I would trust their opinion.

Member Array
    Car:
    Crew for Hi-Comp Civic
    Yes. I have first hand experience with him in before and after dialling in of a cam. He had to fix what someone else had done on my car. And this was another reputable tuner who was supposed to do it but had it all wrong.

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic B16A
    I got mine done...before and after effect was just crazy if your dail is perfect...but it was the best 3-4hr i spent waiting and watching plus i have no idea what kinda things he's doing...And the bill is quite dear...

Ppl with cams should get it dail using this method, but not some crappy "a degree at a time" and yet not getting it perfect...
    Last edited by todaek9; 17-06-2008 at 07:06 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    What meathod is that Adrian?

Member Array
    Car:
    EM1
    dont you have to pull the head off or something and use special tools to do it right?
    FOR SALE: Injector seal kits || Dayco B16A timing belt

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy rooster View Post
    I know someone.

can u tell me who ?

I m located in Melbourne .

thanks alot
    Yo~~! Vtec go ! go ! go !

Check this :

Garage Sales ( Brand New items ) For sale : http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=83889

Member Array
    Car:
    Crew for Hi-Comp Civic
    I only know Sydney well.

Go see Andy if your in Melbourne.