Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Why not connect the ground to the nut in between the 2 yellow circles?
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Member Array
    Car:
    hardparked elmo
    All the other nuts are fine to me except those ones. How do they ground?

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Quote Originally Posted by EGJOE View Post
    All the other nuts are fine to me except those ones. How do they ground?
    The spot I am referring to should be the stud which goes down into the head, which is a better place to ground since it bypasses the gaskets.

Member Array
    Car:
    hardparked elmo
    yes totally agreed with thats what im trying to say

Member Array
    Car:
    doorstop
    Ground it at the yellow circles,u are right.

The idea is to ground the valve cover to the chassis,if u put it on the fastening studs,u are right,it is insulated through the washers.Then u will get eddy currents building up inside the valve cover from induction off the spark leads,not good.

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Quote Originally Posted by CRXer View Post
    Ground it at the yellow circles,u are right.

The idea is to ground the valve cover to the chassis,if u put it on the fastening studs,u are right,it is insulated through the washers.Then u will get eddy currents building up inside the valve cover from induction off the spark leads,not good.
    Don't you need a magnetic field in order to generate Eddy currents?

Member Array
    Car:
    doorstop
    Claymore,the B series rocker cover does not have any electrical contact whatsoever with the cylinder head,it is purely supported on rubber,the washers on the studs are also rubber,why do u think honda grounds them from the factory.

Oh & never heard of eddy currents,lol

Aarong as i said the eddy currents are induced by the high voltage in the spark leads(therefore by the associated magnetic field),which run closely associated with the metal that is the valve cover.These currents could possibly get to the magnitude of actually being able to jump the gap formed by the gasket & arc to the cylinder head.I'll let u imagine how this would affect certain sensors grounded via the cylinder head/thermo housing,that are trying to read very fragile signals as it is.
    Last edited by CRXer; 14-06-2008 at 04:02 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    CB7> EM1>MPS3
    Okay... i've always wondered... everything has to eventually be grounded to the chassis in the engine bay some way or another, whether it be directly or in a circuit....

Now the chassis is riding on tyres? doesn't this mean the car is never actually grounded??
    I MISS VTEC.... BOOST is OVERATED lol

Member Array
    Car:
    doorstop
    Yes,its sort of a loose term regarding the fact that the positive terminal is at a "higher" potential than the negative terminal,which is regarded as "low",ie at ground level or at reference level.Its got nothing to do with the actual physical ground which is the earth we stand on.

Member Array
    Car:
    CB7> EM1>MPS3
    Soo then why does the negative terminal have to be "grounded" to the chassis?

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Quote Originally Posted by CB7_OWNER View Post
    Okay... i've always wondered... everything has to eventually be grounded to the chassis in the engine bay some way or another, whether it be directly or in a circuit....

Now the chassis is riding on tyres? doesn't this mean the car is never actually grounded??
    Quote Originally Posted by CB7_OWNER View Post
    Soo then why does the negative terminal have to be "grounded" to the chassis?
    Because cars use a floating ground. Instead of the chassis actually touching the ground, it makes use of the negative terminal to define the ground. Without the negative terminal being connected to the chassis, nothing electrical will work because the circuit is not complete as claymore said!

Member Array
    Car:
    CB7> EM1>MPS3
    Oo yeh.. i see...thnx for reply aaron and claymore