Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Head Shave

Member Array
    Car:
    MY02 WRX
    Okay, i got quoted $60 to get my head shaved

I know this wont make much diffrence to the car. But I have been told it will increase the torque by a little bit, and also give a slight power increase. (probably not noticable)

Main reason for doing this is cause its cheap, and why the hell not.

And later on maybe get some head and valve work done.

Has anyone else just had just the head shaved??? or have any opinions on this subject?

cheers,

Rowie

Needs more time... Array
    Blog Entries
    $60???

Sounds too cheap to me. Who said this and what exactly does he/she plan on doing?
    Got a question? Check out the FAQ - http://www.ozhonda.com/go/faq

Member Array
    Car:
    MY02 WRX
    just a simple machine shave of the head to lower compression :?

Member Array
    Car:
    MY02 WRX
    thats of course with me doing all the labour, taking it out of the car and putting back in.

Needs more time... Array
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowie
    thats of course with me doing all the labour, taking it out of the car and putting back in.
    OK That makes more sense

Haven't though of getting a thinner head gasket?......actually you might be hard pressed finding one for your motor.........in which case its prob. better to shave the head

Whats the estimated increase in compression?

Member Array
    Car:
    MY02 WRX
    not sure on the compression increase...... i dont even know what it is at the moment.

will be interesting to try out i guess

Needs more time... Array
    Blog Entries
    How much is he going to shave it?

Might wanna do a compression test before and after too

Dude.... I would get the whole thing done at once.... ie. P&P, 3 Angle and head shave. Why bother spending time and money... H/G aren't that cheap (well not to me anyway :wink: ) on removing the head just to skim some metal off it and throw it back on top of the block.....

Member Array
    Car:
    450kwCRX-DC2R-CBR600rr
    At the same time get a head VRS kit, replace all seals and gaskets, even the valve guides and install over size valves. although I’m not in favour of machining the head, would rather use positive shaped valves or high comp pistons or a thinner head gasket, changing the physical size of the head chamber is opening up a huge can of worms. Also remember to replace the head bolts they can not be reused, or invest in some ARP studs which are reusable.

You also should invest in a ecu to program to take full advantage as by increasing compression you will lean out the engine which could result in bang bang bang...and all your money down the drain.

Regards James

O/S ??

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2R
    Sorry...it means Oversize ops:
    TEAMDaiGah
    REDSUN Performance: 98970889

You mean as in thickness???

This is just a personal opinion but I would steer clear of a O/S headgasket. I would try to source a thin metal item.... as an O/S one in my view would be more susecptable to blowing... even more so when increasing the pressures within the cylinders.

I'm not sure what engine Rowie was making reference to but a B16 will not have clearance issues with a modest decking, running a thin ie. 2 layer H/G..... if that is what you where concerned with to make reference to a O/S headgasket