Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thin metal inside a groove of disk pad caliper?

I am not sure what those metals named or called, when I tried to replace the disc pads for my honda Odyssey 2000 2.3 L I found that there are thin metals inside a groove of each caliper.

Two of these metals got damaged, if I did not use them, would that affect the performance of the brakes ?

Thanks

Note: I did not mean the piece of metal that cover the back of each pad itself, which is called shim I guess.

you mean on the OUTSIDE of each pad ? Its a flat metal piece that comes off the pad itself ? Its a "shim".

You can run without them 100% fine. IT may make some noise when breaking first thing in the morning but no issues.

you mean on the OUTSIDE of each pad ? Its a flat metal piece that comes off the pad itself ? Its a "shim".
    I did not mean a shim.

My concern is about other thin metal resides inside the groove on a caliper

oh you mean that which sits on teh end of both pads - it "holds/guides" the pad inplace. Kinda like a flat spring ? They can be removed and no issue.

if thats it lol

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    2008 odyssey
    you will probably find that the pads will knock on application without them, because now the pads can move up and down in the caliper

Member Array
    Car:
    Poo-goat 307
    Quote Originally Posted by quadrio View Post
    you will probably find that the pads will knock on application without them, because now the pads can move up and down in the caliper
    then you would use a brake 'stop squeel' paste. its like a sticky silicone.

Thanks guys for these feedbacks

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic GLi 1999
    isnt he talking about the 'pad retainer'?

i also have the same question(s).
    1. can you run the brakes without the pad retainers?
    2. where can you buy them?

Member Array
    Car:
    92 Legend, 92 Civic
    actually itll be a wear indicator. when the pads get to a certain level the metal tang will rub against the disc and squeal.

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Quote Originally Posted by thepope1986 View Post
    actually itll be a wear indicator. when the pads get to a certain level the metal tang will rub against the disc and squeal.
    No, he meant the pad retainer/aligner thing. The things that are slightly spring-like and help prevent the pad from moving. I'd prefer to have them on, because any vibration in the pad is bad as it will wear out the caliper's piston seal. I've seen it happen on an RX-8 with aftermarket pads (which had a slight play in it).
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Member Array
    Car:
    Choo Choo shoe.
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronng View Post
    No, he meant the pad retainer/aligner thing. The things that are slightly spring-like and help prevent the pad from moving. I'd prefer to have them on, because any vibration in the pad is bad as it will wear out the caliper's piston seal. I've seen it happen on an RX-8 with aftermarket pads (which had a slight play in it).

keep em on man
    if something has a spring tension its there for a reason.
    and its brakes youre talking about.
    safety first =]

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic GLi 1999
    ok, so does anyone know where to buy them from?