Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Milky residue on bottom half of oil filter

I recent changed my oil filter, oil and coolant.

I just checked on my oil filter again and there is a this layer milky residue forming the lip of the bottom half of the oil filter.

i'v done some searching OH. Am i correct in saying this is due to oil and water mixing - so some my oil filter isnt on tight enough and the cold air in the morning/night and mixing with a minor leak from the oil filter?

Should i just wipe the milky sludge away? or should i drain and re-fill?

cheers

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    EK Gli
    did you replace the washer aswell?

either that or someone is batting off underneath your car at night
    I'm a sex addict, its my cross to bear. Its a real disease with doctors and medicine and everything.

which washer are you talking about? - i replaced the oil drain bolt washer.

I checked under neath the car and i couldnt see any leaks on the ground

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Is the oil that you drained out milky too?
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    EK Gli
    i'd clean it off.. and then see if it reoccurs.
    if it doesn't then it should be fine.
    in most cases the source of a leak is pretty easy to find :/
    I'm a sex addict, its my cross to bear. Its a real disease with doctors and medicine and everything.

the oil i drained was fine - no milky residue

As it was mt first home service, i wanted to check there was no leak from the oil filter. Thats when i saw the residue... And i think my dad accidently put a bit too much oil abt 4.5L instead of the 4L. (oil id over max hole on dip stick by abt 10mm).

I'll wipe the residue of the filter for now and see how i do...

Also, when i drained my coolant, i went out for a drive afterward and saw my reserve resevvior low to a top it up - this meant i used up all 5L - but i read in the user manual it only needed 4.5L - would this be part of the issue as well?

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EG Si Hatchi
    milky residue would mean that there is a leak somewhere in your block, mixing of oil and coolant. should take it to a mech and ask him to check it out. could be really serious man, like your head gasket

no residue on dip stick or oil cap... there only residue on the bottom side of oil filter....

possible slow coolant leak from the lines going into your IAVC at the back of the IM, check the small 2 lines that lead back to the little black cylinder shaped object, just behind the butterfly

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Quote Originally Posted by markoJEK1 View Post
    possible slow coolant leak from the lines going into your IAVC at the back of the IM, check the small 2 lines that lead back to the little black cylinder shaped object, just behind the butterfly
    He should only get milky residue if the coolant is getting mixed with the engine oil. If coolant is dripping down the back of his engine and onto the oil filter, it shouldn't go milky.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Yeah I know, but in the sense of maybe left over oil was there, or the dirty is getting in contact with the coolant before it dries, just a suggestion to eliminate another possibility

[IMG]C:\Documents and Settings\Kiet\Desktop\oil filter\19062008084.jpg[/IMG]