Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newcomer Array
    Car:
    panda!

Engine click after too much reving

Hey i've read around but i am still lost. My car is producing a ticking sound when it idles or when shifting to neutral. The ticking is more pronounced when i rev gear 1 over 3000. I did not have this problem when i first got the car, ever since I been thrashing the car, there's this constant ticking sound during idling. so i'm certain that something is damaged or needs adjusting but i don't noe where to start.

anyone got ne suggestions

sounds like the upper cam guides are alittle loose. Go to a good mechanic and get a "valve clearance adjustment".

Ozhonda Supporter Array
    Car:
    2002 Integra Type R
    Bent Valves!!!!

Get the compression checked, it will tell you straight up if its your valves.
    [B]†ÎM؃Ÿ†Î†§(%)
    One To Pin DC5R (12PIN) 183.8kW@wheels of 2.15L TODA POWER
    60.97s @ QR Clubman on DZ03G Semis (Toda Powered K21.5)
    58.54s @ Lakeside Raceway on Dunlop Slicks (Toda Powered K21.5)
    59.03s @ QR Sprints on DZ02G Semis (Toda Powered K21.5)

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    panda!
    hey timofytit, could you give me a price estimate for the valve check, how much would it cost if i got valve replacement

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra Gsi
    don't stress out yet, it could be as simple as a loose bolt get a compression test done you can by a tester for around $60 at repco or a supercheap
    looks like this:

and follow this diy
    comp test

if you get good numbers then you no its not your pistons or valves and you can move on from there.

(it could also be your tray has a broken tooth on one of the cogs

QUOTE: AE092
    lol 17 - and wants the fastest car. Tell the tree or pole i said hi

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5 Type S 05
    Quote Originally Posted by timofytit View Post
    Bent Valves!!!!

Get the compression checked, it will tell you straight up if its your valves.
    haha settle down.
    shits me a lil how some ppl on here will be like 'Q- i can hear a slight noise in the top of my engine---- A -your pistons are gone bro,get some fuel additive, upgrade your muffler and get some recaros, happened to me and this fixed the problem '

what im saying,is valves dont just bend and your car drives fine and theres just a small ticking noise,valves bend - car runs very gay.

most likely you need to adjust your valve clearance (or atleast get a mechanic to). this is recommended ever 40000km from memory on hondas,i do it every 20000kms on my b16 as the noise does get prominent from that time. its a normal thing,you rev your engine high,the adjustment goes out after time,clearance gets to big and you can here them tapping.

DIY TAPPET ADJUSTMENT
    http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15443
    CHEAPEST PRO DIY

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    panda!
    lol, looks like i won;t be seeing my mechanic nemore. thank you all for your helpful advice.

Member Array
    Car:
    ..S2000..
    tappets.. need readjusting
    ..VTEC YO!..

pure N/A all the way

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Constant ticking is probably the injectors. If your valve clearances were too loose, you'd get a diesel sounding engine.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Member Array
    Car:
    Nissan Micra Type R
    I had my valve lash adjusted a couple of days ago.

I thought the ticking was due to valve clearance but after it was done - i noticed an idle with less rattle.

Ticking can be injectors (mine ticks) just like aaronng said.
    NHB DC2R

TYP 20R

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    panda!
    what are tappets???, how are injectors the cause of ticking, are they clogged or ???? and with the valve clearance adjustment i checked the service manual and it sed i need to remove the valve head cover, so would i need to buy a new head gasket when i reinstall the valve cover or could i use loctite adhesive?

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Quote Originally Posted by fitvpower View Post
    what are tappets???, how are injectors the cause of ticking, are they clogged or ???? and with the valve clearance adjustment i checked the service manual and it sed i need to remove the valve head cover, so would i need to buy a new head gasket when i reinstall the valve cover or could i use loctite adhesive?
    Valve cover does not have a head gasket. And you don't use loctite... Don't DIY, especially if you don't know what tappets are.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2