exhaust resonator questions

Noob on this topic. Below are pictures of my resonators (Civic FD2).

Resonator 1

Resonator 2

I have recently installed a muffler with a 2.25" mandrel to the flange. I would like to have the sound a little louder at idle/rev but not tin can. Currently, sound is beautiful, no drone or tin can sound.

Option1: Remove Resonator 2 and replace with a 2.25" mandrel from Resonator 1 to flangeback?

Option 2: Replace all pipes to 2.25" mandrel and keep both resonators?

Option 3: Replace both resonators (such as magnaflow) with 2.25" mandrel?

Or does anyone have other suggestions on achieving the above?

Thanks heaps

Member Array
    Car:
    ES1 Turbo, EK1
    get rid of 1, that should make it louder

and join it up with stock piping size? Whats the diff between 1 and 2?

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    They are a restriction...1 is enough.It will make it louder and flow quicker.They both look big...I would buy a nice hi flowing one to replace them both.There are gains to be had there.
    But what other mods have you done to the engine or plan on doing to the engine.That is the more important question as your exhaust system should match your intake/engine set-up.

So removing Resonator 2 wont increase sound by a bit? I was hoping not to spend any more $$$ to put in another resonator. I am currently thinking of doing Option 1 but not sure if it will
    1. lose low end/performance.
    2. make it super loud and tin canny. Just want something a little deeper.

Member Array
    Car:
    ES1 Turbo, EK1
    option 1 is what u want

Member Array
    Car:
    EG Si Hatchie
    remove muffler number 1. the first resonator acts to remove low sounds and number 2 removes higher pitched sounds. removing it wil raise the overall sound output but not make it tinny as small cannon tips do it will also gain you ~3-4bhp.
    Is this the end of my car modding days? Buying a house says so...

Quote Originally Posted by 55EXX View Post
    remove muffler number 1. the first resonator acts to remove low sounds and number 2 removes higher pitched sounds. removing it wil raise the overall sound output but not make it tinny as small cannon tips do it will also gain you ~3-4bhp.
    oh. So resonator 1 removed will give me a deeper sound??? Then i might do that and just weld the stock pipe inplace of it.

Would this be the same for all cars with 2 resonators? Front being deep and rear being high?

thanks heaps

Member Array
    Car:
    Jazz EVO IX
    all depends, your not gonna know until you do it.
    Different engines, different reasonators will all make slightly different noised.
    I've had a heap of them and they all are different. Generally you will want to take the smallest of the 2 reasonators out as it will only slightly adjust the noise.

The first reasonator is most likely an offset reasonator, where the second is going to be a straight thru. I'd bet they are prob of equal performance in reducing sound, and were only different cos of the space available.
    Evo IX - THE FINAL EVOLUTION

ok. I might remove Resonator 1 and weld a stock pipe size to replace. Fingers crossed the sound will be louder and deeper.

Today i went to remove the rear resonator and replaced with SS stock pipe size.

Results:
    - Sounds 3-4 X louder.
    - A nice deep tone.
    - Idle inside/outisde is only slightly louder before removing the resonator.
    - Theres a nice deep hum when your in cruise mode or just doing normal driving.
    - When going up a hill, theres a little drone, other than that, its just a deep note.
    - When i VTEC it, it exhaust roars. The VTEC sound could be just heard before the gear change as the exhaust note takes over.
    - I noticed some low end loss when driving it for 2 hrs after removal. But later, it started to improve. Maybe ECU is relearning???

Ill drive it a bit more tomorrow and see how it goes. Hope this thread will help others decide whether to remove resonator or not. Maybe ill upsize my pipe to 2.25" SS mandrel from first resonator to the rear muffler soon.

Note: A big thanks to TONZ who provided me with info through PM. I wish i could give him a rep point.

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    U should reset the ECU.