Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    1985 ford laser
    IMO. I guess its how far you want to take it. Do you want some short term fun or do you want something with more potential for the future?

Not all that much power separates the b16 for the d16y1 . For the price of your b16 conversion (4/5k-ish), putting that money into quality mods IMO will get it going better. (I/H/E + Cam + Air/fuel Controller/tune of some sort). Also if changeing the y1 intake mani/TB to the y8 version (larger plenum & Runners) is a cheap and common mod.

It has been done locally & overseas mildly built n/a y1s outperforming factory b16s in the same car, for the same price.

Just remember though, alot of people do alwayes start off with small goals.. and then want bigger and better things once they have had a small hit. Building your n/a y1 will definately have a much smaller long term potential then swaping in a b16.

Regards Lyle
    Light up with Lyle - Electrical / Communications / Instrumentation

Thanks lyle!
    Thanks for the tip with the intake manifold and TB also..

yeah that's cool, i'm probably gonna work the engine till its on its deathbed and then go for the big swap!
    "you have herpes!"

Member Array
    Car:
    1985 ford laser
    just keep my opinions as un-biased as possible. If you do have big performance goals for your car, it wouldnt be the best value to just work your current engine ... then get rid of it ... and start on something fresh again.

Ask yourself what you want as a final outcome. (power goal or 1/4). Then start work on 1 single setup that will reach it. Either boost your motor, swap in a motor, or work your motor n/a. Working your motor n/a is going to be expensive with minimal gains past a certain point. The max potential of a 4k n/a setup on your y1 would be a mid to high 14, assumeing your not overly weighed down. (educated guess based on dseries forums in the usa).

Do some research on honda-tech, dseries.org, turbod16 etc before you go jumping in spending money just for the sake of it. Dont make any decisions based only on what people say on ozhonda, as most are talking based on romour and "word of mouth"... rather then people on us forems talking from experience.

But if you happy with what you can get out of the y1 for the price you spend. Then knock yourself out and do it. Dont worry about what other people think. Your car, Your money .. enjoy it because thats what they are for.

Regards Lyle

of course.
    i'm open minded and everything.. i know once i reach a certain point with my D series, i'm going to want more power and most likely swap it for a b16 or 18.

i guess its all going to be a learning experience for me..

i'd love to work on effective power gains for the d, (and the most useful info i have on this is just increasing airflow in all ways!)

i've even considered bolting on a turbo, but im a bit wary because it would be a never ending story after that.
    "you have herpes!"

Member Array
    Car:
    1985 ford laser
    Sure thing, im just saying.. If you know you are going to want a Dohc Vtec down the track... its just wasted money modding your d16y1. Save your cash or go strait for the swap or boost.. if you know you are going to want more power in the future then the na y1 will be able to give you.

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    Word!

just do a turbo d matey, you will be running consistant high 14s for life...

Account Disabled Array
    Car:
    CT9A
    just be happy with the power now. The next step to make power will cost a penny.

yeah that sounds good..

so u guys reckon its not worth making more power even if later on down the track i'm gonna do a b18cr swap?

even just small mods..
    "you have herpes!"

Member Array
    Car:
    1985 ford laser
    if you know you are going to want something bigger or better down the track... like a engine swap or boost. Why stuff around with smaller mods that will cost you money? money that could be used to get you to your main goal quicker?

Member Array
    Car:
    Jazz EVO IX
    D - series will cost alot to make NA power, your better off just saving for a turbo kit.

The D series block was never meant to be a performance block, it was more an economy block.

I'd say go b18 with your money and you wont look back
    Evo IX - THE FINAL EVOLUTION

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    Yeah,80kw in your d would be a real sweet car to drive.Keep it and have fun while you save for a turbo kit or a b.If you want to track the car the b18c is the go.