Member Array
    Car:
    Prelude

(help) Best option to wire up a new headunit.

Ok, currently I have a kenwood headunit installed in my DA, however it cannot read CD's anymore and I wanted a new head unit anyway. A friend got me a Sony Xplod head unit and I was just wondering what would be the best way to connect it up. Purchase a wiring harness or just cut and solder? I have never installed a head unit before so it will be interesting ...

BTW, I dont have any kenwood keys to remove the current head unit, does that mean i have to take apart the console to get it out?
    Honbra

Member Array
    Car:
    Bangbus
    If you don't really want to solder, you can always just twist the wires together and secure with heat shrink. It would probably be best to cut and rewire, making it all a little neater than daisy-chaining a bunch of wiring harnesses.

Member Array
    Car:
    Prelude
    ye, ill probs get a heat shrink and a solderer.

My major problem atm is getting my kenwood headunit out without the kenwood removal key >.<
    Honbra

Member Array
    Car:
    Prelude
    bah, pulled apart the consolde and took it out cutting my hand in the process. Now ive just got to get my engine blue slipped before i start soldering the new head unit up and wacking the sub in.
    Honbra

Member Array
    Car:
    EM1
    I got a harness for mine and it didn't fit as the previous owner messed with it and created a mess. I ended hand soldering each and every wire. Wasted 20 bucks for the harness.

Member Array
    Car:
    EK4K24
    instead of twisting and heat shrinking...

try connector blocks 2 screws one in either side
    put one wire in one side tighten it up one wire in the other side tighten that up...
    u can cut em up

http://www.marinemegastore.com/image...l/ECS_3170.JPG

easy...

but these are not the BEST options to wire up a headunit
    the BEST option is always to solder and either heatshrink or insulation tape
    theres nothing better... no chance of it shorting out if it falls out of the
    connector block or slips out of the heatshrink when twisted together...

up to you

i soldered and insul taped mine...
    Last edited by Riviera; 08-07-2008 at 04:57 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    Prelude
    yeah i used one of those connector things in DT way back in year 7 hahah... TBH i f*n hated it, always falled out if u gave it a little tug. I will just solder and then tape up i think.
    Honbra

Member Array
    Car:
    Prelude
    Ended up soldering and using insulation tape to cover it up... pretty happy with it, first time ive ever installed a head unit ...
    Honbra

Member Array
    Car:
    doorstop
    Quote Originally Posted by Riviera View Post
    instead of twisting and heat shrinking...

try connector blocks 2 screws one in either side
    put one wire in one side tighten it up one wire in the other side tighten that up...
    u can cut em up

http://www.marinemegastore.com/image...l/ECS_3170.JPG

easy...

but these are not the BEST options to wire up a headunit
    the BEST option is always to solder and either heatshrink or insulation tape
    theres nothing better... no chance of it shorting out if it falls out of the
    connector block or slips out of the heatshrink when twisted together...

up to you

i soldered and insul taped mine...
    solder isnt always the answer,theres nothing wrong with a good compression joint either,the military prefer compression jointing techniques in most of there electrical equipment