Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    Audi TT 2.0T

Blown radiator twice

hey people
    blew my radiator twice in about 3 months
    i cant figure out why its building up pressure...
    my radiator cap is gunky and oily and dirty (been like that for a year.. seems to be gettin dirtier)
    any ideas ?
    my engine temp is always fine

thanks in advance

Member Array
    Car:
    was a DC4...
    what radiator fluid are you using?

could be a crack in your head, or you head gasket could be ****ed :S

Needs more time... Array
    Blog Entries
    What exactly blew? Seems like the cap isn't release the water at a low enough pressure. Have you tried changing the cap?
    Got a question? Check out the FAQ - http://www.ozhonda.com/go/faq

Member Array
    Car:
    Audi TT 2.0T
    yeah ive been told it could be the head gasket as well
    sometimes when i start the car when its hot its like "br br br br br brb rbr " and feels like it wants to stall
    but other then that its normal
    its got valvoline in there...
    its also using alot of water (without any leaks) so this could be another reason its the head gasket ????
    first time i cracked the bottom plastic tank.. and today i cracked the top one

Member Array
    Car:
    05 CBR600RR, EGG
    hey i not exactly sure on this but have you checked your thermostat. it might have seized up and could be causing built up pressure. but as i said im not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by FR33K
    yeah ive been told it could be the head gasket as well
    sometimes when i start the car when its hot its like "br br br br br brb rbr " and feels like it wants to stall
    but other then that its normal
    its got valvoline in there...
    its also using alot of water (without any leaks) so this could be another reason its the head gasket ????
    first time i cracked the bottom plastic tank.. and today i cracked the top one
    sounds like Head gasket with a smallish leak.

like most have suggested.

a simple compression test might not pick this up, but if you take it to a radiator place they can test the coolant for traces of exhaust gas to see if there is a leak.

also check you oil, if it is showing any signs of being 'milky' - then this is a sure sign...

the br br br br on startup is probably hte cylinder with teh leak not firing properly due to overnight leakage into the cylinder.

if this continues you might 'hydro-lock' your engine if there is too much coolant in the cylinder when you try to crank it...

check the colour of the spark plugs too - this can also show you if one cylinder is running with water in it - the plug will be cleaner or whiteish if this is the case... (if you are using proper coolant the plug can be greenish - or whatever colour the coolant is.)
    B20VTEC - since 2002

Member Array
    Car:
    EG Si Hatch
    Milk oil is a good sign of a blown head gasket.

Member Array
    Car:
    Audi TT 2.0T
    oh ok thanks people
    well i disconnected my radiator today and took it out to get it serviced..
    came back later and under the car was a little puddle of browish milky stuff where the bottom radiator pipe had been draining out... same shit i always find on the radiator cap.. but its been like this for so long i thought something majorly wrong woulda happen by now hehe
    i have done 325000kms..so i should be expecting something to go wrong sooner or later

oh and my oil is fine
    Last edited by FR33K; 22-09-2004 at 08:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FR33K
    i have done 325000kms..so i should be expecting something to go wrong sooner or later
    fcuk! that is alota km!
    B20VTEC - since 2002

Member Array
    Car:
    Audi TT 2.0T
    and i dont drive like a grandma either hehehe

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra DC2 & DC4
    time to drop that h22a in that youve just got lying around freek...

my top tank spontaneously exploded once... just get it fixed, no biggie.
    i would have thought it was bad luck and old plastic more than anything else. there was nothing sinister about it when my one cracked open either, normal temp etc.
    i'd expect you to notice a rapid loss of coolant if the head gasket was gone (i was getting about 15k's between top ups when the head gasket went in two of my cars), i don't see how a dodgy head gasket could cause an end tank to split open...
    And so it begins...