Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro Lux 03

Brake bleed screw misthreaded

My car is a 1993 VEI Civic....very economical car, so I love it !. I decided to a complete brake system overhaul last weekend as I wasn't happy with the amount of travel in the pedal before the brakes kicked in. First I changed the front pads and then the rear brakes shoes. Both had a bit of material left and could have lasted another six months but changed them anyway as I already had purchased the parts... and because the handbrake had too much travel even with the handbrake adjusted maxed out. The rear shoes were a little tricky to replace but a little bit of perseverence I got them done. I used the one man brake bleed kit to do the fluid flush. What I found was that there was air in the brake system which I removed as I went from wheel to wheel. The last wheel ( driver side ) is where I found the cause.....the bleed screw has been misthreaded by the previous owner/service agent so even when tightened air was/is getting into the brake system.. .....I ran out off time but and am planning on tackling this job again this weekend.....but what can I do?

The calipers are made of aluminium and so too the bleed screw, I think. I will try to remove the bleed screw and refit correctly but am concerned that because the thread is damaged air could still get in. Does any know how I can create a good seal...use something like locktight perhaps?..if not the next option would be be to purchase a new caliper....any suggestions would be most welcome, thks

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    The calipers should be made out of cast iron, not aluminium. Take off the bleeder, check if the threads are totally stuffed. Do the same for the caliper with possible. Buy a new brake bleeder screw from Honda.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Member Array
    Car:
    EG Si Hatchie
    i wouldn't be as worried about air getting in as the fluid getting out. hard braking, if the hole is big enough will force the fluid out, hence creating sponginess etc that you may be feeling. just replace it.
    Is this the end of my car modding days? Buying a house says so...