Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    180sx

Clearing my EPA defects

I know this doesnt relate to hondas, but i thought it would still fall under this section, and its easier to ask on this site, because ive been here for a while, and have an account here, but since i have smashed my civic, and sold it, i have now bought an s14 200sx, and im so glad i did lol. It just has a few issues with the EPA, the main ones being larger snail, larger FMIC, larger exhaust manifold. How can i get around this without returning it to stock? Do i have to get it engineered, and get a mod plate for it?

Member Array
    Car:
    '94 Civic VTi
    If you have an EPA notice, the EPA does not care about the configuration of your car. All they care about is the emmisions it puts out and the noise levels it puts out. So to pass, you must output emissions/noise within a certain range, depending on the year of ur car..

That the shortest answer i can give u. There is no magical thing u can do. make sure your ECU is tuned well, for emissions. I know most stock nissan ECus have a hard time passing emssions because they run so rich as soon as u modify anything inside the engine bay.

Once again, thats the short answer.

If u want to do everything properly and try and avoid future defects, then yes, u need an engineers certificate. Engineering involves a full EPA test. No such thing as a mod plate in nsw.
    [TNT] Team No Traction - Cos No Traction Is Underrated

Two turbos, is better then one.

Member Array
    Car:
    Garden snail
    tuning for epa is usally pretty hard
    with a tuner that doesnt have the emissions testing its pretty much trial and error my friend got his car tuned and retuned about 3 times b4 the car passed EPA for his engineering cert. it was costly

last that ive heard powertune (dont noe where it is in syd somewhere) had the emissions testing
    so maybe u can get ur car detuned to comply with emissions while ur at it get the cert. then u can retune it back.

Member Array
    Car:
    DB9
    personally, id take all the after market stuff off and put the stock stuff back on

reset the ecu

and go

this way, u know ull definetly pass

this option is even more suitable if u know how to take off/put on stock and new parts by urself

wat exactly did u get EPAed for? noise im guessing right?

does that mean when u go to get it cleared, they will only check noise?

or they just say, since ur in, may as well check emissions, lol
    Team Yum Cha Daily
    Melb Crew reppin

.....an era has ended.....RIP YF dc2^3

"I do apologise for what must seem like an arbitrary imposition"

Member Array
    Car:
    ED/EG5/EP3/JAZZ
    When I passed my EPA test after boosting my Civic they only tested for emissions and my engineer tested for sound
    161.4KW ATW Tuned By TODA
    EG5 JDM B16A SiR-II TURBO

13.28@106.6mph 2.117 60ft On RE001

Member Array
    Car:
    180sx
    Well what happened is the previous owner was done by EPA, went to pass the test as it was, and failed, then sold it straight after that, and thats why ive picked it up so cheap.

The EPA report that came with the car, or i was pretty sure it was an EPA report, on the front page has a check box section, and it had 8 problems. The car didnt come with any defect or EPA stickers on it, but the guy that sold it to me took all those parts off and the stinger EMS, except the larger FMIC, turbo, and exhaust manifold, and put a stock exhaust back on.

It failed the report for:
    No snorkel on air box
    BOV
    Larger snail
    Larger exhaust manifold
    Larger front mount intercooler
    Manual boost controller
    Oil catch can
    Exhaust

And since it hadn't passed what ever this is, the registration has been suspended. If this isnt EPA, any ideas what it is?

Member Array
    Car:
    ED/EG5/EP3/JAZZ
    Quote Originally Posted by 1996ek1 View Post
    Well what happened is the previous owner was done by EPA, went to pass the test as it was, and failed, then sold it straight after that, and thats why ive picked it up so cheap.

The EPA report that came with the car, or i was pretty sure it was an EPA report, on the front page has a check box section, and it had 8 problems. The car didnt come with any defect or EPA stickers on it, but the guy that sold it to me took all those parts off and the stinger EMS, except the larger FMIC, turbo, and exhaust manifold, and put a stock exhaust back on.

It failed the report for:
    No snorkel on air box
    BOV
    Larger snail
    Larger exhaust manifold
    Larger front mount intercooler
    Manual boost controller
    Oil catch can
    Exhaust

And since it hadn't passed what ever this is, the registration has been suspended. If this isnt EPA, any ideas what it is?
    You need to get your car engineered

Member Array
    Car:
    180sx
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukezen27 View Post
    You need to get your car engineered
    Yea looks like it lol...
    I just always asumed you could change these parts without hassle, because you see so many cars out there with larger turbo's and FMIC's..

And to weq, at my old work a guy owned a yellow s15 with a full 3" exhaust, FMIC and pod filter, and one night he got done, and was taken to an EPA testing station ( i think it was ) and he was done for pod filter, unengineered front mount and emissions. And im just saying that because you said they dont care about your configuration... so was that EPA or something else he was done by?

Member Array
    Car:
    ED/EG5/EP3/JAZZ
    Yea looks like it lol...
    I just always asumed you could change these parts without hassle, because you see so many cars out there with larger turbo's and FMIC's..

And to weq, at my old work a guy owned a yellow s15 with a full 3" exhaust, FMIC and pod filter, and one night he got done, and was taken to an EPA testing station ( i think it was ) and he was done for pod filter, unengineered front mount and emissions. And im just saying that because you said they dont care about your configuration... so was that EPA or something else he was done by?
    Dude any change including something as small as a wheel nut is illegal if they really want'a get you and really should pass engineering..

I've spent $$$ so my car is now legal

Cars that are stock have passed all these tests paid for by the car company’s and any mods to it makes there work void..

Having said that there's lots of mods you can get away with but its all down to luck at that point

Here's a bit of what I went through but you've already posted there lol
    http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=78487
    Last edited by Lukezen27; 18-07-2008 at 12:46 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    180sx
    Thanks for that, seeing it now has a stock exhaust it should pass, so ill book it for an EPA test and see how i go. Thanks guys

Member Array
    Car:
    Jazz EVO IX
    well, with only intercooler & slightly larger turbo, you might pass. Especially if you have a stock exhaust.
    I rem somewhere someone told me that they don't rev the car that hard. They just drive it on the dyno via a similation.
    Evo IX - THE FINAL EVOLUTION

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Camira
    i have now bought an s14 200sx, and im so glad i did lol.
    ahhaha u glad about the hassles?

Im not sure about the current EPA rules.. but it might be easier to get the car engineered then passing EPA. In additional, EPA requires alot of waiting etc etc.
    Club EM1 Represents - member 01 of 01