Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: S Or R..engine

S Or R..engine

About to buy a DC5...
    Drove a type s today and it was very enjoyable.

It made such good power and now im considering whether to go with the type S over the Type R..

Can anyone tell me the difference in the motor, like are the cams different on the S..compression ratio? or just tune on the computer.
    It makes 7Kw more, but its heavier.

I havent driven An R yet..

Basically, i dont want to get in a type R and be dissapointed in the engine not delivering thew same buz...will this happen?

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    nothing ATM
    go drive a type-R. their is no way anyone can explain the difference.
    power to weight ration they are almost exact. i highly doubt you will be disappointed.
    it depends on what your doing with it and what your looking for. if your not fussed about sacrificing the leather and sunroof for better handling performance and an LSD go the type-R. plus if its buzz your looking for R's are a better car to modify in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by simon_l View Post
    go drive a type-R. their is no way anyone can explain the difference.
    power to weight ration they are almost exact. i highly doubt you will be disappointed.
    it depends on what your doing with it and what your looking for. if your not fussed about sacrificing the leather and sunroof for better handling performance and an LSD go the type-R. plus if its buzz your looking for R's are a better car to modify in my opinion.

Interesting, i need to test drive an R then to get an idea of what you're talking about

It will be taken to the track now and then...

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    nothing ATM
    your almost definitely after a type-R then. the bucket seats and the LSD are going to be of use to you and it sounds like your going to want to mod it.
    good luck finding one.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5, EF8, EF2
    Not sure of the exact differences in the motor but the exhaust is different, the Type S being slightly larger diameter, and one of the cams is apparently different and the rest is in the tune I think. The bottom ends of the motors are identical, only the JDM Type Rs got the slightly higher compression.

Stock for stock they are about equal in a straight line, and a drag or a circuit race will be a drivers race. For some track use I would choose a Type R every time for the lighter weight and the LSD.

go the R man. and with the left over money, can u mod it.
    the major diff between the R and S (ausdm) is that the S has no LSD gearbox and no recaros and the S is alot heavier.
    the R is alot more raw to me..

Seems as though The Type S has very simmilar cams to the JDm Type R, hence it revs to 8600rpm, the valvetrain is apparently stronger and so too is the botom end..

That's right.

I've driven both the R and S and own a Type S.

R is predominately a street car designed for the track, but the same could be said about the S, despite no Recaro's and LSD. Owning one is great. A good suspension setup and the handling is superb, (same could be said about stock). Power delivery is great, and doesn't let you down.

If you're going to the track every now and then, you wouldn't be disappointed with both.

If you're looking for somethng more 'raw' etc, probably best to get the R.

Would you say the S feels stronger? motorwise/performance...

Member Array
    Car:
    EG5 Vti-T 6psi
    the AUDM DC5S has a JDM DC5R high cam (i am 99% sure). which is why the vtec crossover in the AUDM S is SLIGHTLY more noticable than the R. IMO the DC5R is a better car, at a much better price. and looks twice as good as the S in CW
    WTB: ED6 ftw/EFI D-series front cut
    For sale - Short-Ram Intake
    Buy My Car

Member Array
    Car:
    A piece of shit
    R over S anyday of the week!

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Integra Type R AB02
    In my memory the ex side cam and ex-manifold is same as JDM.....apart from that its same as AUDM K20s.......and also ECU tune too...that help to make another 7 kw.....
    apart from that is like other mention no recaro and lsd......Its up to wat you need the car for....if you dun see track the the S is a better car to live with.....if you plan to see track then go R .....
    Mugen Whore #2