Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    DC5R

K&N Typhoon Review [DC5R]

DISCLAIMER: This review is based on my findings and other documentation from the manufacturers website and is solely of my opinion.

CAR TESTED: AUS DC5R, SOCK STANDARD, NO PRIOR MODS.

Look what arrived on my doorstep!

A Typhoon™ Air Intake System Courtesy of Underground Imports

This being my first mod for this car I was quite excited and eagerly opened the packaging....

Not much too the typhoon really...

The provided instructions are clear and easy to understand, it's such an easy mod to fit that even a beginner would find it difficult to get it wrong.
    The whole task including removal of the old air box took under 30min to install and....
    Volia ready to go.

First Thoughts:
    As soon as I turned on the ignition I noticed a greatly increased induction noise (sucking sound)<-- Cool sound , after letting it idle for 5 or so minutes I gave it a little rev and tested the water.
    The sound is quite different from the STD air box, it has more of a bass like tone when revving and speaking of which, revving seem to be allot more responsive and stronger.
    Just Cruising:
    I dove out of the driveway and down the street quite pleasantly surprised how quiet the intake was when cruising.
    10 minutes later I arrived at my destination, a quiet, secluded industrial estate
    Time to test it proper!
    I sat stationary for a bit revving the car hard, just listening to the sweet sound of my engine and intake thinking, why didn't I do this sooner!! It sounds awesome!!
    I took off after a small burnout and peaked fist gear, OMG! When vtec engaged I nearly shat my pants!! Shift to 2nd, again vtec x-over is very noticeable; the tone of the intake during vtec is LOUD & OBNOXIOUS and could be likened to a 2-stroke motorcross bike!! I didn't know weather I liked it or not at this stage...but hey you can be the judge of that - here is an audio file with the intake fitted.

Typhoon Mp3, turn your speakers UP! 400k

It's been 24 hours now and I have driven over 280km with the intake on and I could honestly say it gives a noticeable performance increase across the board. This dyno from knfilters.com would be fairly accurate. Dyno Chart

Here's what I think are some of the pro's and con's of this intake.

Pros
    Is both loud and quiet depending on how the car is driven.
    Up to 10hp gain in performance.
    Easy to install/uninstall.
    Light weight.
    Low cost.

Cons
    Very LOUD when in vtec.
    Suffers from minor heat soak when car is hot & idle.
    You will be tempted to vtec more!

PostScript
    All in all I think it's a great mod for anyone who is after raw performance and Db gains with minimal fuss. The only one problem I had was, when I re-attached the negitave terminal to the battery my auto power window had to be recalibrated (wind down and hold for 2sec wind up and hold for 2sec).

Discuss....

Thanks

Needs more time... Array
    Blog Entries
    Woaa nice write up...great work!
    Got a question? Check out the FAQ - http://www.ozhonda.com/go/faq

TRAVDM Array
    Car:
    Lots of Hondas
    u have to take me for run on the cruise nick

looks badass, looks like that black cloud has finally gone

excellent write up
    oh wrd!

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5R
    Cheers guys, We'll go cruising for sure Trav!! Wynode, if my hosts bandwith is insufficiant can you host the image and audio files please

Needs more time... Array
    Blog Entries
    No probs! Even for the photos, you can just goto the gallery and upload them to the Integra section (actually that would be a good idea as the photos won't get lost that way!)

Just PM and let me know about the audio file.

-Win
    Got a question? Check out the FAQ - http://www.ozhonda.com/go/faq

Member Array
    Car:
    CT9A
    Looks great! Nice job...I've got an Apexi on my DC5 its loud and obvious when the vtec kicks in but i love it. Don't bout the hp gains tho...will get it dyno'd with my new Power Getter next week.

Love the blue pipe..nice colour choice by the way. Cheers!
    arrowz
    SiR

Member Array
    Car:
    happy car
    looks great sounbds great ^_^ luv those k&n filters---
    got one in me accord--- different piping but yup its good stuff. pitty where the pod sits though-- maybe run a cold air feed to it *shrugs*

Member Array
    Car:
    honda accord euro luxury
    that was an excellent write up . i will let you know how the kn goes in my mod air box , may even look at the typhoon one day .

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Type R
    is it better than the Apexi kit?

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5R
    Quote Originally Posted by Black R
    is it better than the Apexi kit?
    I don't know for sure but I believe all SRI are very similar, I am really enjoying the Typhoon now and wouldn't go back to the stock box thats for sure...

If you are after pricing please contact Trav [UNDERGROUND IMPORTS]

Member Array
    Car:
    CT9A
    Cracker, are you gonna get a heat shield for it? or it doesn't really matter?
    arrowz
    SiR

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5R
    Quote Originally Posted by JINRAI
    Cracker, are you gonna get a heat shield for it? or it doesn't really matter?
    I don't really care if I loose 5hp on the street when taking off on a hot summers day, drag is not my cuppa tea anyways.. it was mainly purchased for track driving, and since one dosen't stop (hopefully) to often on the racetrack I don't forsee a problem with heat soak.

Then again if I could get one cheap enough I would give it a try