Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    bb6 Type S

will a dc2R muffler make my car quieter???

hey guys I've searched and searched but i cant seem to find a definitive answer to my question...

i have a dc2 with headers, hi flow cat, 2.25 piping and magna-flo muffler. My question is will swapping my current muffler with a type R muffler make it quieter WITHOUT reducing flow.

i read the type R has a 2.25 system stock so my logic says it should flow quite well.

if this has been answered before please feel free to shut the thread down
    thanks
    Jason

a final question, ANYONE GOT A DC2R MUFFLER FOR SALE? Melbourne preferably...
    Last edited by rbk_212; 28-07-2008 at 06:08 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    porsche boxster
    It will be quieter.

I guess you could say that muffler flows enough to make 141kw so yeah should be ok

Member Array
    Car:
    bb6 Type S
    Quote Originally Posted by EKVTIR-T View Post
    It will be quieter.

I guess you could say that muffler flows enough to make 141kw so yeah should be ok
    yeah that was my logic exactly, thanks mate

Member Array
    Car:
    380GT,XTrailSTR
    sounds like shit without AT LEAST the factory resonator... sounds like a ****ing lawnmower... stock eg/ek are worse.

quiet on idle, 3000rpm onwards sounds worse than a fart cannon...

that 141kw thing you guys mention above still holds true though... just that there was a reason the factory system also came with a resonator
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow96GSR
    If 1 person has had bad luck with a product don’t condemn it until you yourself have tested it. Now if 10 pros have tried it and it sucked then I would trust their opinion.

Member Array
    Car:
    bb6 Type S
    Quote Originally Posted by dsp26 View Post
    sounds like shit without AT LEAST the factory resonator... sounds like a ****ing lawnmower... stock eg/ek are worse.

quiet on idle, 3000rpm onwards sounds worse than a fart cannon...

that 141kw thing you guys mention above still holds true though... just that there was a reason the factory system also came with a resonator
    the system i have has 2 resonators...so will that be allright? will it still sound decent.
    Ideally it like it quiet at idle and low RPM but sort of open up into a nice sound once i put the boot in...and i mean NICE sound not WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT as a drive by sound..

do they really sound so bad without one:S the knowledge of some of you guys on here is profound..
    Last edited by rbk_212; 28-07-2008 at 06:17 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    ek4lyf
    maybe your one has a hole ? lol
    CEE CEE DUB U

Member Array
    Car:
    380GT,XTrailSTR
    i know coz i've gone through multiple systems and currently have the 2.25in ITR muffler on a 2.5in mandrel system with extractors.

previously had an eg muffler with no reso and it had an embarassing deafening high pitched rasp to the point that 'vtecing' the car was embarassing.

the ITR isn't as bad.

IN MY OPINION Honda did their exhaust system to a very tight tolerance which is a good thing, slightest deviation and then bam!

fully stock exhaust system without the factory reso also has the buzz.

but in your case you have 2 reso's and 2.25... it may sound fine.

a resonators job isn't to muffle the exhaust sytem, that's what a 'mid-muffler' is for... a resonator alters resonance, ie slows down the higher frequency vibration (thats causes the buzz) into a normal deeper note if your muffler doesn't muffle the sound too much

Quote Originally Posted by jdm_kid View Post
    maybe your one has a hole ? lol
    nope, because both of them sounded fine on my mrs bog stock DC4

***EDIT***
    but then again... I have a B16a, the harmonics are completely different to that of a B18
    Last edited by dsp26; 28-07-2008 at 06:24 PM.
    If 1 person has had bad luck with a product don’t condemn it until you yourself have tested it. Now if 10 pros have tried it and it sucked then I would trust their opinion.

Member Array
    Car:
    porsche boxster
    Dsp26 is right though.

With just a straight pipe they can sound buzzy and hollow like.
    Depends on the setup.

Member Array
    Car:
    bb6 Type S
    yes i understand and thanks for the input.

my car has a quite un-jap deepish sound i which i think is owed to the 2 resi's. but yeah id like just a nice note that wont attract unwanted attention. so you guys will the dc2r muffler with my system (detailed in first post) do what i want it to do?

Member Array
    Car:
    380GT,XTrailSTR
    Quote Originally Posted by rbk_212 View Post
    yes i understand and thanks for the input.

my car has a quite un-jap deepish sound i which i think is owed to the 2 resi's. but yeah id like just a nice note that wont attract unwanted attention. so you guys will the dc2r muffler with my system (detailed in first post) do what i want it to do?
    i reckon get one but don't put it on if you don't like the sound, just sell it back on here.. you'll be surprised at their value

even if your not flanged, my exhaust shop either 'inserted' my muffler inlet into my bigger catback and revved it or got something like intercooler hose and clamped the muffler on... he was able to let me listen to a few mufflers he had also before i ended up just deciding on the ITR for the stocker look. ask your exhaust shop

hard asking people about exhaust sound results.. theres so many i liked on youtube only to hear others and read reviews that it didn't sound like this or that hype... every setup is different as mentioned above

Member Array
    Car:
    bb6 Type S
    allright i think i will, how much do they go for?

and if you see someone selling one let me know!

Member Array
    Car:
    380GT,XTrailSTR
    mate listen to this clip, ignore the nice deep sound of the intake and listen for that 'buzz' of the ITR muffler.. its' exactly what i'm talking about:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqNkzfcUcLg