Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast
    Newcomer Array
    Car:
    2008 odyssey

odyssey suspension upgrade

im looking at doing a bit more to the suspension on the odyssey, has any one else got strut braces and the rear and front crossmember bracing on their odysseys, what differences did it make and do you think it was worth it?

Ozhonda Subscriber Array
    Car:
    RX450h / RB3
    IMO its not worth it since Odyssey is just a people mover.......
    how fast you are thinking of doing around the corner with your Odyssey ?
    I reckon a nice set of coilover will be fine.......

depends on the approach how to mod the Odyssey. for me, its worth for f/r sway and low-arm bars due running at stock suspension. does help a lot esp the sway bars reduce body roll and low-arm bars/crossmember bracing (whatever you call them) increase chassis rigidity. slightly problem of front low-arm bar is it may be scratched once car been lowered.

as aka_NSX said, a nice set of coilover may also do the job but i took a different approach start off mod my people mover

for yr case, try to upgrade yr king springs with stock dampers to coilover and see how you want before spending money on something else you don't need. for me, will still get a set of coilover later this year as want to track the Odyssey (why not, Japanese, Chinese and Singaporeans all track their Odysseys). will be fun

Member Array
    Car:
    06 TC'd RB1
    IMO, the bars improved body roll by quite a bit. From stock I remembered feeling like the car was going to flip on its side when I went around round abouts at 'normal' speeds. I went to Sway bars and Lowering springs, gave me more confidence and could not feel the roll much when travelling at 'normal speeds'. After I installed coilovers and a few more bars I can accelarate through them with little body roll.

From that I would say if you just want better handling at normal speeds, then getting the bars, would be enough and cheaper. To be able to do a bit more spirited driving, get coilovers, but I think might cost twice the price of bars.

For me the bars and coilovers are worth the handling improvements and the loss in ride comfort to me is still at an acceptable level.

Member Array
    Car:
    06 TC'd RB1
    Quote Originally Posted by AusAccord View Post
    depends on the approach how to mod the Odyssey. for me, its worth for f/r sway and low-arm bars due running at stock suspension. does help a lot esp the sway bars reduce body roll and low-arm bars/crossmember bracing (whatever you call them) increase chassis rigidity. slightly problem of front low-arm bar is it may be scratched once car been lowered.

as aka_NSX said, a nice set of coilover may also do the job but i took a different approach start off mod my people mover

for yr case, try to upgrade yr king springs with stock dampers to coilover and see how you want before spending money on something else you don't need. for me, will still get a set of coilover later this year as want to track the Odyssey (why not, Japanese, Chinese and Singaporeans all track their Odysseys). will be fun
    Thank goodness we stay in different states.... you are begining to poison my mind

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    2008 odyssey
    yeah, im mainly leaning at the rear swaybar and strut brace, no point really in doing the front bar as its a front wheel drive

Quote Originally Posted by evolution View Post
    IMO, the bars improved body roll by quite a bit. From stock I remembered feeling like the car was going to flip on its side when I went around round abouts at 'normal' speeds. I went to Sway bars and Lowering springs, gave me more confidence and could not feel the roll much when travelling at 'normal speeds'. After I installed coilovers and a few more bars I can accelarate through them with little body roll.

From that I would say if you just want better handling at normal speeds, then getting the bars, would be enough and cheaper. To be able to do a bit more spirited driving, get coilovers, but I think might cost twice the price of bars.

For me the bars and coilovers are worth the handling improvements and the loss in ride comfort to me is still at an acceptable level.
    luckily have same point of view and not my own perception

Quote Originally Posted by evolution View Post
    Thank goodness we stay in different states.... you are begining to poison my mind
    haha, u never know!!! may be one day you will move to NSW or i may move to WA..... may also be a nation-wide Odyssey owners meet @ Alice Spring (everybody even drive).... still can poison yr mind via here.... cheers mate
    Last edited by AusAccord; 29-07-2008 at 08:59 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    06 TC'd RB1
    Quote Originally Posted by AusAccord View Post
    luckily have same point of view and not my own perception

haha, u never know!!! may be one day you will move to NSW or i may move to WA..... may also be a nation-wide Odyssey owners meet @ Alice Spring (everybody even drive).... still can poison yr mind via here.... cheers mate
    haha I got antidote for the poison.... lack of funds and nagging wife

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    06 RB1
    Hello all,

Here's my late intro in an almost ancient thread. Just got a 2nd hand 06 RB1 facelift last dec09, better late then never eh, always wanted but never had the $$. I don't know anything about modding cars except driving them. Planning to do some stuff on it but depends on $$ cash ofcourse and it would probably be in this order, suspension > wheels > simple body kit if all goes well.

Anyway right now I'm on a mission to suss out the suspensions, going for coilovers, and after reading through this forum over 20+ pages, I need some of you guru's expertise. I'm thinking of 3 brands Tein, HKS and Tanabe and I've broken down all the models they have. There is some technical terms which I'm not familiar such as.. spring rate? they vary between 7k-12k, what does higher/lower number means?....height adjustable?they have front and rear with numbers between 0-95, what does this represent?

My preference would tend to lean more towards smooth ride, not so much of folding corners and stuff.. Future rim size would probably be 19" mark.

If anyone could probably give some insight/experience on the following that would be much appreciated. I guess not everyone is going to have everything listed but if you pros could tell just by the spec sheets that would be gold.

Tein:
    Basic Wagon
    Super Wagon
    GT Wagon
    Basic Flex Wagon
    Super Flex Wagon

HKS:
    S-style
    C-Wagon+
    C-Wagon
    Smart

Tanabe:
    Sustec Pro 7
    Sustec Pro5
    Sustec Pro GF
    Sustec Pro NF

Thanks alot everyone!

Regards,

Roy

i'm not a technical person but will try my best to explain......

spring rate is calculated based on ?kg/mm means it have certain kg by compressed to certain mm. higher the number, its more stiff but meantime will give firmer ride for control. depends on how you want yr ride to choose the spring rate. you will need coilver in order to adjust the height.

"they have front and rear with numbers between 0-95, what does this represent?" - not 100% sure, may be represent the max and min height adjustment of the coilover OR the most desire height for the coilover.

"smooth ride" on 19" - its not gonna to happen in Syd but may be alright in Melb. all subj to personal preference and definition of "smooth ride" on individual feeling (sorry i always say that as its quite subjective)

i'm no experience of all coilover listed below but again try my best to explain while i choose my own set abt 1.5 yrs ago:

Tein (personally not my cup of tea):
    Basic Wagon - 10k spring w/o stiffness adjustment on damper coilover, entry level (not recommend)
    Super Wagon - 10k spring w/ stiffness adjustment on dampier coilover, can match EDFC for controlling stiffness inside the car (cost effective set)
    GT Wagon - 14k spring w/ stiffness adjustment on damper coilover, can match EDFC for controlling stiffness inside the car (a bit hardcore set)
    Basic Flex Wagon - basically the same as Basic Wagon but with Full Length Adjustable means vehicle ride height and spring pre-load can be adjusted independently (not recommend)
    Super Flex Wagon - basically the same as Super Wagon but with Full Length Adjustable means vehicle ride height and spring pre-load can be adjusted independently (i'll buy this if Tein the brand you like)

HKS (been told not suitable for rough roads conditions due leaking on dampier, so totally out of my shopping list):
    S-style
    C-Wagon+
    C-Wagon
    Smart

Tanabe (have consider this brand upon my purchase):
    Sustec Pro 7 - top of the range coilover, height and stiffness adjustment and can match with TEAS for controlling stiffness inside the car according to the car speed
    Sustec Pro5 - mid range with more comfortable ride, height and stiffness adjustment and can match with TEAS for controlling stiffness inside the car according to the car speed (this is the model i'm after before but no one import them by that time. now OzHonda trader JDM Concept can get them)
    Sustec Pro GF - entry level w/o stiffness adjustment on damper coilover (not recommend)
    Sustec Pro NF - entry level w/o stiffness adjustment on damper coilover (not recommend)

other brands available for RB1 are Ohlins, Buddy Club, Cusco, RSR, Blisten

Polar Bear Array
    Car:
    09 RB1 Lux
    For me i'll get an air suspension as i won't track the car anyway and air force air suspension has 36way damper adjustable so it can be very stiff.
    Team Agentz

Options Motorsports

My Accord Euro: [ENDUT]

My Odyssey: [BRUANG]

MY GARAGE SALE

Banned Array
    Car:
    Integra
    Is this Thread for real? Is someone modifying an oddysey?? that'll be worse than that time hot 4's featured a Landcruiser because "it had airbrushing & airbag Suspension" it will be catogorised on the same level as doing up an accord Euro or even a holden commodore, you need to ask yourself "What For"???