Page 9 of 41 FirstFirst ... 678910111219 ... LastLast
    Just got home from driving a VTIS manual.

Initial impression from outside..... its a very good looking little car. In fact... I think it brought the bitch out in me.. I thought it was very cute

Initial impression from inside..... great layout, seat fabric is not too shabby, visibility is outstanding. Top glovebox lid was a bit naff (satin metal paint look). It could be just me not really having spent time in the GD... but I feel the cars narrowness, not saying its cramped, far from it with that headroom and the extended A pillar felt quite airy... just had more of a feeling that the door trim was right on my elbow/shoulder compared with other small cars, and I am far from being a big guy. Speaking of doors though.... they did close with a satisfying thunk much to my surprise.... sure its not the same thunk as a car from VW/Audi group but great for something in this class. Also.. with rear seats in their normal upright position, the boot is very deep.... and and there was a full sized alloy as a spare under that boot trim too

Initial driving impression..... engine tone a bit corse (thought it would be a bit more subdued). There is no denying its a honda engine.... the thing starts to come alive bit over 4k rpm. 1st gear seemed useless, with 2nd gear being the cog that the car starts to seem more willing to accelerate nicely. Acceleration is what is to be expected in this segment, and overtaking is gonna need some well judged driving. On the highway it is quite posied, two big rigs came in the opposite direction (no centre divider on this hwy, just painted line) and car drifted a bit over with the airpressure however this was about on par with what I have experienced with a current generation Corolla which is at a guess another 200kg heavier.

As for handling, the car is VERY surefooted. Was quite nice through a few roundabouts and bends where the advisory speed was disreguarded (no I did not go over the actual indicated limit ). While the body roll is there and you really feel the height of the car as a result as it starts to lean more, was not once concerned at a possible roll over.

The suspension feels quite firm and as such.... bumps are transfered into the cabin a fair bit together with increase in road noise and overall harshness over even slightly imperfect blacktop. I think in this respect I am being a bit too critical of this car, and need to remember that it IS an econobox at the end of the day, so a silky smooth/cloud like drive will never be acheived. I guess they could have softened the suspension up a bit to dull the sensation of the car being shook around over shithouse roads, but almost certainly at the expense of the sharp/crisp steering response.

Powersteering took a little to get used to in slow city driving, but felt good at highway speeds.

Things I am gutted about not having available; HIDs & climate control.

Overall its a great little car..... now the ball is in the lady of the house's court if she would like to have it in the garage. From my perspective I say yes... especially shopping in this price/car segment range, I think it would be quite hard to beat.
    Last edited by SPEEDCORE; 16-08-2008 at 03:13 PM.

GLI manual test drive

hi

I was down at my local dealer in Melbourne this morning and took a GLI manual for a drive.
    Was quite happy with the car.
    The engine seems to have noticeably more power and also a deeper sound.
    The car generally is better soundproofed I think, although I only got it up to about 85kmh on the Nepean Highway.

I am not sure about the interior though.
    The steering wheel feels better and less plastic and cheap than the wheel on the old model GLI, but some of the other interior parts look and feel a bit cheap i think. Not sure I like the layout of the dash controls that much, and the feel of the fan and heat controls is a little odd.

Also, the "map holders" in the doors at the front are very thin and deformable. Certainly not a good idea to put too much weight in there, as they will break easily.

Having said that, visibility is great, and drive is fine.
    I was a little disappointed that there is no stability/traction control at all in the Jazz range. I think this puts it at a disadvantage to some of its competitors such as the mazda 2.

I did some quick negotiating and I am pretty sure that the car can be had for low 18's (GLI SP, manual + mats)

I think I will go back later in the week and order one.

Jo

Quote Originally Posted by joregelt View Post
    Having said that, visibility is great, and drive is fine.
    I was a little disappointed that there is no stability/traction control at all in the Jazz range.
    Interestingly enough..... it seems to be an option in other markets.

Member Array
    Car:
    09 jazz
    SPEEDCORE, which dealer u visited? and could u mind share the possible price for vtis man via PM to me? coz i may do the test drive next week, see how's going, thx

Member Array
    Car:
    2007 Cannondale Rush 4
    As a guy you're probably more likely to be teased and jerked at driving a Yaris than the new Jazz

Yaris', imo, are way tooo aimed at the female species.

Quote Originally Posted by dyljoy View Post
    SPEEDCORE, which dealer u visited? and could u mind share the possible price for vtis man via PM to me? coz i may do the test drive next week, see how's going, thx
    No price yet... was not even really allowed to drive it till sometime next week according to what a couple of the sales people told me Honda HQ had instructed. Also they seemed to have misplaced the pricing and options list so I was not able to check out what was available in that respect. I personally think they had just taken delivery of these cars and were not really ready to sell, but were happy to show people the new Jazz on the down low.

Quote Originally Posted by ACE888 View Post
    As a guy you're probably more likely to be jerked driving a Yaris than the new Jazz
    I may need to reconsider getting the Jazz if that is the case.

TRIPLE OG Array
    Car:
    b18c crx/that's
    i don't see how anybody could buy a yaris after sitting in one. it's the cheapest ugliest interior i've ever seen.
    www.lozzz.com - car spotting, food and other random crap from Japan

Member Array
    Car:
    2005 VBP DC5 TypeS
    hahah Speedcore, you've mellowed out in your "old" age...hehe

thanks for the review....I think I have given the new Jazz the flick..I might consider the CR-V instead. I can't get over how girly this new Jazz is...(unless I can get my hands on the Mugen bodykit)

anyone know if these are built in thailand like the fds and the new accord?

Member Array
    Car:
    CBF250
    use the search tool its been asked

most hondas come out of tailand now with the exception of a couple
    I may be schizophrenic, but at least I have each other

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda
    Quote Originally Posted by Tofu View Post
    hahah Speedcore, you've mellowed out in your "old" age...hehe

thanks for the review....I think I have given the new Jazz the flick..I might consider the CR-V instead. I can't get over how girly this new Jazz is...(unless I can get my hands on the Mugen bodykit)
    +1 GE is too girly for me as well.

unless spend big $ for mugen kit.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    2008 CU2 Euro Luxury
    I went and saw this in the dealership today, the upspec'd one with mags etc (I was there picking up my Euro Luxury) and have to say it looks like a pretty cool car!!!