Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a

Calibrating the Voltage on the TPS

Ok,so I done this,here's how:

- Get several feet of wire. At least 6ft to make life easy. Cut them into 6 1' pieces and strip the ends. Now twist 2 pieces of wire together. So now you have 3 2' wires with the ends stripped and a stripped spot in the middle.
    - There are 3 wires/pins for the tps sensor. 2 outside wires are ground and 5v source. Middle wire is the return voltage on the tps.
    - Remove the throttle body, and connect your new spliced wires to the pins on the tps sensor on the throttle body and the pins on the wiring harness.
    - Now connect your multimeter to the 2 outside wires (easiest to do this at the stripped points in the middle of the wires). This will also show you which wire is ground and wich is 5v.
    - Turn the ignition to on (but do not start the car).
    - Verify that you have 5v going to the tps.
    - Now connect the multimeter to ground and the middle wire to measure tps voltage.
    - TPS sensor is held in place by 2 screws. Open the throttle rotor to WOT and keep rotating the sensor until you get the output shown on the multimeter to 4.5v.
    - Tighten tps sensor down & adjust idle setting screw shown in the pic below. Adjust this until the idle reading on the tps is about 0.48-0.49v.
    - Now double check that WOT & idle tps readings are correct and put it all back together.

http://www.superhonda.com/forum/f49/tps-voltage-239633/

http://hondaswap.com/~pills/obd1guide.html

I got the 5V reading.
    I couldn't get a 4.5V reading though.When I turned the TPS sensor as far as it will go it only read 3.25V.

The car goes much better now! but the idle is high at 1500rpm when in park (auto) also the engine check light is on (I reset the ECU but still on).I will need to do a code check.

I left the idle screw screwed right in how it was.If I turned it out it idle's far too high.
    Why can't I get a higher reading,to 4.5V on the sensor at WOT?

I just thought,for WOT I got a mate to hold the throttle open in the engine bay instead of putting a foot on the pedal.The throttle was open more than if you had put your foot on the pedal,maybe that affected the reading?

Member Array
    Car:
    380GT,XTrailSTR
    +rep for j00.. shoulda posted in DIY.

lol at the wire thing.. i just used some really long stitching needles and shoved them into the tps wires
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow96GSR
    If 1 person has had bad luck with a product don’t condemn it until you yourself have tested it. Now if 10 pros have tried it and it sucked then I would trust their opinion.

Member Array
    Car:
    green whip!
    can't tap into the wires for your throttle position in the wiring harness?
    my vafc is hooked up and it reports voltage for the tps

and i'd say WOT via holding the cable isn't the best idea
    should calibrate it with the pedal only

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    haha Dsp26

I'll do the needle way next time,pretty dodgy with the wires touching and shorting out.

Thanks Vinny,cheers mate,will do again with the pedal.

Will post results.

Member Array
    Car:
    EG Civic
    Just got a couple things to add, did you say that you couldnt get a reading of 4.5 at WOT? is your tps on properly because if its not right i have seen them read about 1v at closed and 3.xx at WOT. Also did you set your tps from WOT??? not the right way if you did but if i misunderstood i apologise, Pretty sure i wrote to you about this before, Set at closed, at as close to .45 volts as possible, dont forget to allow for multi meter inacuracy by seeing if the meter reads 5.00 volts on the 5v feed, for example if the tps 5v feed actually reads 5.12 volts subtract the .12v from the tps signal so .45 would actually read .33 (this is just a guide) best acuraccy test is to put in ohms (resistance) setting and see if it reads 0.0 ohms or is a little out) anyway .45 at closed throttle and WOT voltage will be around the 4.5 area. also always set with the pedal not by hand because it is the pedal that will control at the end of the day not your "i can turn the throttle an extra 1.2mm" hands, lastly the throttle plate adjust screw is NOT for setting TPS!!!

So remove tps.
    Adjust correctly onto TB
    Reinstall and set.

Thanks

PS, dont you meen Calibrating ? lol
    Last edited by B18cEG; 28-10-2008 at 12:21 AM.
    = First Production Company To Produce 100HP Per Litre NA

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    haha yeah Calibrating

Thanks for your help!

I'm pretty sure I fitted it properly,will check that again though.

When you say:

So remove tps.
    Adjust correctly onto TB
    Reinstall and set.

Do you mean just loosen it off to adjust it?

How do you measure the voltage?

I'm pretty sure this and/or the 02 sensor is my problem.I will replace the 02 sensor too.

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    Inside the tps

Member Array
    Car:
    EG Civic
    i mean before you set the tps, remove it completley and line it up properly if it is not already then reinstall (but dont tighten screws fully) then set with a multi meter, if u dont have one just get the $10 ones from ur local auto shop, they are pretty accurate, for the first few months anyway. have you done a diagnostics test yet?

Member Array
    Car:
    EG Civic
    i mean before you set the tps, remove it completley and line it up properly if it is not already then reinstall (but dont tighten screws fully) then set with a multi meter, if u dont have one just get the $10 ones from ur local auto shop, they are pretty accurate, for the first few months anyway. have you done a diagnostics test yet?

When testing for voltage do not add wires if your not soldering them, an unsoldered join can drop voltage from one wire to the other. just see if you can get someone to help you and test by going to the top wiring loom next to the left shock tower and there should be 2 wires at the top of the plug whick will be -green/white trace and +red/blue trace and that will give you the best reading, just strip the wire about 10mm and insert the black probe into- and red into+ and you should be set.

If any of that is unclear let me know and i will specify further.

Thanks man

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    Thanks mate,I think that must be my problem,not installing it properly.Because of it's position,you can't see into it to 'line it up properly'...

Thanks mate.

Member Array
    Car:
    EG Civic
    Quote Originally Posted by beeza View Post
    Thanks mate,I think that must be my problem,not installing it properly.Because of it's position,you can't see into it to 'line it up properly'...

Thanks mate.
    No prob, let us know how u go.

Thanks

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Moved to the DIY section
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2