Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    Sorry I mean,do you think it will keep the TB cooler by having the coolant pass through there? I was just worried the TB got too hot too many times and over time that may buggered the sensors.

Ozhonda Supporter Array
    Car:
    MV Agusta F4
    Thats the idea on removing the coolant through the TB, so it is cooler.

The TB is hotter when coolant is passed through it (80-90 degrees). So the air passing though it is heated.

If you disconnect the coolant from the TB. The TB is cooler and does not heat the air passing through it.

Is this what you mean?
    Deano.

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    Yes mate,forsure.That's great to know.I just feared that it might be hotter with the coolant disconnected.

so i brought my car without thermostat. should i install one ?

Ozhonda Supporter Array
    Car:
    MV Agusta F4
    Yes you should.
    Deano.

Quote Originally Posted by Limbo View Post
    2) yes i did loose coolant and it kep coming out from the overflow. I thing the thermostate acts like a pressure valve also so that it keep the pressure inside the cooling system and stops it from overflowing.
    The pressure inside the cooling system is always equal everywhere (except maybe for a minute difference on one side of the pump vs the other), because the thermostat only closes the system at one point. For pressure to be significantly different in one part of the system relative to another the system would have to be closed off at two points. Having or not having a thermostat won't make any difference (to pressure in one part of the system vs another). All the thermostat does is allow or disallow flow depending on temp, it doesn't regulate pressure in any way.
    Last edited by JohnL; 23-08-2008 at 08:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Limbo View Post
    Low opening thermostat, not sure how much benefit it would make for track as your therostat will be opened pretty quickly anyway
    I think it's likely to be a bad idea on an EFI engine, unless you knew for sure that the engine was running at a high enough temp to be outside of the cold running open loop map.

If you run cold (relatively), and as a result run rich, then aprt from the loss of performance likely the excess fuel gets deposited as a liquid on the bores and washes off the lubricating oil film causing accelerated wear (bores, rings, pistons), as well as getting into the oil and degrading it much more quickly.

Member Array
    Car:
    EG brusier, STi type R
    I believe my eg with B18CR has a spoon thermostat. Driving normally with flowing traffic engine temperature is around 66-69 degrees. If the traffic slows, it moves into the 70s or the 80s. I wonder if high 60s is too cold? My other cars run in the 80s all the time...

Account Disabled Array
    Car:
    CT9A
    Quote Originally Posted by STiR View Post
    I believe my eg with B18CR has a spoon thermostat. Driving normally with flowing traffic engine temperature is around 66-69 degrees. If the traffic slows, it moves into the 70s or the 80s. I wonder if high 60s is too cold? My other cars run in the 80s all the time...

Yes 69 is too cold. Your fuel consumption will be shit. Temps should be 80-90.

Member Array
    Car:
    EG brusier, STi type R
    My fuel consumption is bad. I think I need to change my thermostat

Ozhonda Supporter Array
    Car:
    MV Agusta F4
    Not exactly sure with Spoon, but thought they were like Mugen thermostats/switch. Like fatboy said 80-90 water temp after engine.

Where are you taking your temp from ie. sensor location?
    Deano.

Member Array
    Car:
    Jazz EVO IX
    generally only boosted applications i'd recommend one

Quote Originally Posted by JohnL View Post
    I think it's likely to be a bad idea on an EFI engine, unless you knew for sure that the engine was running at a high enough temp to be outside of the cold running open loop map.

If you run cold (relatively), and as a result run rich, then aprt from the loss of performance likely the excess fuel gets deposited as a liquid on the bores and washes off the lubricating oil film causing accelerated wear (bores, rings, pistons), as well as getting into the oil and degrading it much more quickly.
    Evo IX - THE FINAL EVOLUTION